Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 179454 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
One of the best books I've read in a long, long time- The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan. His previous book, Botany of Desire: A Plant's Eye View of the World is also excellent.

I also have to recommend The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein.

That led me to read Selling the Free Market: The Rhetoric of Economic Correctness by James Arnt Aune. It is kind of dry and scholarly, but in it he destroys Ayn Rand, which makes it worthwhile.

I'm working my way through Paolo Friere's classic philosophical work, Pedagogy of the Oppressed. It is extremely difficult.

I'm also reading An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison, perhaps the most accessible exploration of bipolar disorder.

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2008, 05:08:19 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand.  Atlas Shrugged is pretty amazing, too.

Why are you giving a free advice?

Parliament of Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s by P.J. O'Rourke, Scoop by Evelyn Waugh, The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton and Witness by Whittaker Chamber. Four contemporary classics.

Non-fiction, and if you like history, I'd highly recommend Paul Johnson's Modern Times. A brilliant master-piece.

Especially to Roy, I'd recommend WFB's novel "Getting it right".  ;D

since you mentioned chesterton...i enjoyed reading "orthodoxy" - very good book, and he's a great author.  read any of his "father brown" stories?

Oh, absolutely, Orthodoxy is one of the books of my life. Delightful and compelling book, truly enlightening, even if I personally do not endorse or share all of Chesterton's views (though I agree with most of them). Chesterton is a fascinating author, a genius in my opinion. I've read all Father Brown stories, my parents have the entire collection. It's time to start buying my own Chesterton books, by the way, must do something about that short-term.

Chesterton is one of the greats of the 20th century, in my opinion. Together with Waugh, Nabokov and Borges, he's on the top of my list.

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Wonderful topic.

I am a simple reader -- I read books requiring limited thought with large print.

Grisham novels therefore are protoypical reading for Neurotic Guy.  Brethren, as previously mentioned, was good, but my personal favorite is The Rainmaker - struck me in all the right ways and met my definition of a good book: disappointed when it ended.  Also enjoyed The Client. I find Grisham novels work for me even if I've already seen the movie.

I typically avoid self-help books since I believe myself to be beyond hope and therefore am depressed by attempts to cheer me up.  However, years back, I enjoyed 'The Erroneous Zones' which pointed out many of the negative thinking patterns that I still employ to this day.

Non-fiction favorite: David Mcullough -- Please read '1776' - just great. And, 'John Adams'.  Amazing work.
I was also fascinated by 'The Endurance' which pieced together a truly unbelievable voyage to Antarctica through the actual diaries of crew.  Amazing.

Last note. I tried Cormac McCarthy years ago with his book "The Orchard Keeper'. Could not get through it.  Reminded me of Faulkner who I could also not tolerate. It's probably me.  But, based on recommendations in this thread, perhaps I'll give him another try.

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2008, 08:42:51 PM »

Offline CelticSteve

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
If you want some light humor, one of my favorites is Sideways. I actually listened to it on CD during my commute. Rent it from the library if you can. I found it much funnier than the movie- and it lasted longer too.

Ender's Game is one of the only fantasy books I could actually make it through- it was quite good.

Harlen Coben is terrific- like others have said. I do like his Myron series- especially since there is a Celtics connection, but I like the stand alone books even more.

Water for Elephants was a fantastic, and unusual read.

And a classic, and one of my all-time favorites- is The Caine Mutiny. Unbelievable.

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2008, 08:51:29 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
http://www.alongwaygone.com/
This is an awesome book , inspiring
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

Non-fiction favorite: David Mcullough -- 'John Adams'.  Amazing work.

i've been reading this book alongside of watching the dvd's...my wife bought me the hbo miniseries collection - i've been enjoying how well they follow his book.  a fascinating figure from history, for sure.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »

Offline swebb87

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
"The Pale Horse is the Future" by William Cooper

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2008, 01:31:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If you want some light humor, one of my favorites is Sideways. I actually listened to it on CD during my commute. Rent it from the library if you can. I found it much funnier than the movie- and it lasted longer too.

Ender's Game is one of the only fantasy books I could actually make it through- it was quite good.

Harlen Coben is terrific- like others have said. I do like his Myron series- especially since there is a Celtics connection, but I like the stand alone books even more.

Water for Elephants was a fantastic, and unusual read.

And a classic, and one of my all-time favorites- is The Caine Mutiny. Unbelievable.

I've ready Enders game more that the celtics play at home each season. Well probably not but Im up in the high 30's easily.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
http://www.alongwaygone.com/
This is an awesome book , inspiring

Agreed, definitely a worthy read.  It really was an eye opener.

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2008, 02:47:09 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Great authors:

George Pelecanos, Mo Hayder, Ken Bruen, James Lee Burke, Laura Lippman, Karin Slaughter

Crime novelists all...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
im sure these two series have been mentioned because there awesome, but just in case

A song of ice and fire- series by george R.R martin. mabey the best fantasy series still running (in my mind, no contest, but some like others better)

The lies of locke lamora- dark, high fantasy meets ocean's 11. another series that is currently running and is awesome.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
Check out anything Sedaris

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2008, 04:09:52 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Check out anything Sedaris

I agree, Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day are both especially excellent and funny reads.

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2008, 05:51:12 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I was wondering if anyone here had read "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.  I was tempted to grab a copy but have heard some mixed reviews about it so I held off.

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 02:03:47 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Well, I thought A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole was brilliant.  http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0802130208/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Both it, and The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth were masterpieces of satire.
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0385240880/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

You will NOT be disappointed.