Author Topic: Noah Vonleh?  (Read 5614 times)

Noah Vonleh?
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:07:04 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I wonder about the Cs targeting Noah Vonleh this off-season. Coming off his rookie contract, Vonleh will only be 23 at the beginning of next season. He has always been a very high level rebounder. He is a relatively versatile defender, able to defend the post and on the wing. He is a good screen-setter and has a developing jumpshot (shot 49% from 3 in college and just under 30% during his NBA career).

Maybe CBS could revitalize his career like he has done with so many other players (Turner, Thomas, Larkin, etc.). There's a reason he was rated so highly in his draft. He has talent, size (6'9.5'' with a 7'4'' wingspan), and athleticism.

I could see him developing into a player like Taj Gibson, with an occasional 3 point shot.

Re: Noah Vonleh?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If he doesn't demand any money (i.e. comes in on a minimum contract) I would love to take a flyer on him.

He was actually putting up alright numbers in Chicago at the end of the year. 7 and 7 in under 20mpg.

If we lose Baynes I could imagine us snagging him. Him next to Theis would be lengthy and annoying for the opposition
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I wonder about the Cs targeting Noah Vonleh this off-season. Coming off his rookie contract, Vonleh will only be 23 at the beginning of next season. He has always been a very high level rebounder. He is a relatively versatile defender, able to defend the post and on the wing. He is a good screen-setter and has a developing jumpshot (shot 49% from 3 in college and just under 30% during his NBA career).

Maybe CBS could revitalize his career like he has done with so many other players (Turner, Thomas, Larkin, etc.). There's a reason he was rated so highly in his draft. He has talent, size (6'9.5'' with a 7'4'' wingspan), and athleticism.

I could see him developing into a player like Taj Gibson, with an occasional 3 point shot.

I like the idea, but I don't really like your examples. Those players are guards/ball handlers, but it doesn't seem like too many bigs improve under Stevens. In fact, you could say that some have regressed.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »

• Paul Silas

I like the idea, but I don't really like your examples. Those players are guards/ball handlers, but it doesn't seem like too many bigs improve under Stevens. In fact, you could say that some have regressed.

I get your point, but it's not like CBS has had opportunity to help many big man projects.

He made Olynyk a lot of money. Sullinger was considered a FA sleeper when he left the Cs because of his advanced stats, but now he is out of the league. Johnson was nearing the end of his career when the Cs signed him, and his advanced stats were high.

Daniel Theis and Aron Baynes have both had the opportunity to prove their worth under CBS. He probably made both of them a good chunk of money, unless they resign for less with the Cs.

Greg Monroe had some good games at the end of the year, and might still develop more if he gets more time around CBS.

CBS has certainly had more success with guards/wings, but he has had good success with off-cast bigs too.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I get your point, but it's not like CBS has had opportunity to help many big man projects.

He made Olynyk a lot of money. Sullinger was considered a FA sleeper when he left the Cs because of his advanced stats, but now he is out of the league. Johnson was nearing the end of his career when the Cs signed him, and his advanced stats were high.

Daniel Theis and Aron Baynes have both had the opportunity to prove their worth under CBS. He probably made both of them a good chunk of money, unless they resign for less with the Cs.

Greg Monroe had some good games at the end of the year, and might still develop more if he gets more time around CBS.

CBS has certainly had more success with guards/wings, but he has had good success with off-cast bigs too.

I'm not sure if he made Olynyk a lot of money or Olynyk (as a skilled stretch big) would've done that on his own. In fact, you can argue that he didn't make much, if any, improvement since his rookie season.

Baynes was as productive as he was on previous teams, but did benefit by getting increaed minutes.

Theis was pretty good when I watched him in FIBA, so we really don't know if it's Stevens that helped him or if Theis is just a good player that would've had this type of success on another team. In fact, Stevens is turning Theis into more of a 3pt shooter, but I think his biggest offensive strength is screening and rim running where he can use his mobility, length, athleticism, and soft  hands.

Zeller probably had his worst stretch in the NBA under Stevens. He looked better in Brooklyn and in Milwaukee, playoff performance notwithstanding.

Stevens turned Sullinger (before he ate his way out of the league) into a low efficient 3pt shooter. Even though the previous season and as a rookie under Doc, Sullinger shot nearly 50% from the field and was really effective in the low post. That year he only took 5 3's, the next year under Stevens he took 208. So this took 2 of his biggest strengths away, interior scoring and offensive rebounding, as he was now floating much more away from the rim. 

He's also seemed to struggle incorporating certain skill-sets into his system (see David Lee, Monroe, Sullinger), so it's all up to Vonleh to either be a good fit or not. If he can hit 3's at a respectable rate, then he'll fit, but I wouldn't expect Stevens to make him better because that's not really what he tends to do for bigs.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »

• Paul Silas

I'm not sure if he made Olynyk a lot of money or Olynyk (as a skilled stretch big) would've done that on his own. In fact, you can argue that he didn't make much, if any, improvement since his rookie season.

Baynes was as productive as he was on previous teams, but did benefit by getting increaed minutes.

Theis was pretty good when I watched him in FIBA, so we really don't know if it's Stevens that helped him or if Theis is just a good player that would've had this type of success on another team. In fact, Stevens is turning Theis into more of a 3pt shooter, but I think his biggest offensive strength is screening and rim running where he can use his mobility, length, athleticism, and soft  hands.

Zeller probably had his worst stretch in the NBA under Stevens. He looked better in Brooklyn and in Milwaukee, playoff performance notwithstanding.

Stevens turned Sullinger (before he ate his way out of the league) into a low efficient 3pt shooter. Even though the previous season and as a rookie under Doc, Sullinger shot nearly 50% from the field and was really effective in the low post. That year he only took 5 3's, the next year under Stevens he took 208. So this took 2 of his biggest strengths away, interior scoring and offensive rebounding, as he was now floating much more away from the rim. 

He's also seemed to struggle incorporating certain skill-sets into his system (see David Lee, Monroe, Sullinger), so it's all up to Vonleh to either be a good fit or not. If he can hit 3's at a respectable rate, then he'll fit, but I wouldn't expect Stevens to make him better because that's not really what he tends to do for bigs.

We disagree on our easements. I think he helped Olynyk a confidence and consistency. Sully was at his best under Stevens. Seller started for us. Theis wasn’t even in the NBA.

Whatever. You see the glass half empty. I see it as half full.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Monroe 2.0

We need good players

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't see any reason for him. He wouldn't get any playing time here and wouldn't really help unless he's playing in the GLeague.

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 11:58:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Monroe 2.0

We need good players
They aren't all that similar in terms of play-style or athleticism
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

We disagree on our easements. I think he helped Olynyk a confidence and consistency. Sully was at his best under Stevens. Seller started for us. Theis wasn’t even in the NBA.

Whatever. You see the glass half empty. I see it as half full.

Yeah, we definitely disagree. I don't think he helped either Olynyk's confidence and consistency. In fact, that was the biggest issue surrounding Olynyk's entire career in Boston. He'd go from winning you a game 7 to being virtually invisible the next game. That said, he does look more confidence playing in Miami under Spo.

Theis not being in the NBA and then playing well for us isn't something to chalk up to Stevens. To do that would be dismissive of Theis' talent and with it how he's played in FIBA vs France (Gobert) and Spain (the Gasol bros.) among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJcf1G-ctU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyKXmCWRAwk

Zeller started a lot the first season for us (59 out of 82 games) and then was basically buried on the bench the next 2 seasons as a 5th big and his numbers plummeted drastically.

15-16
Games started 3, MPG 11.8, PPG 6.1, RPG 3.0, FG% 47.6

16-17
Games started 5, MPG 10.3, PPG 3.5, RPG 2.4, FG% 49.4

17-18 (with Nets and Bucks)
Games started 34, MPG 16.8, PPG 6.7, RPG 4.6, FG% 56.0

take a chance on Noah Vonleh?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
as far as I know vonleh is no longer with the bulls and is a free agent. he's still only 22 years old, can defend and shoot. could he be a brad stevens reclamation project? wouldn't think it would cost too much to get him.

Re: take a chance on Noah Vonleh?
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Plus, he's from Haverhill isn't he?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 03:25:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's a full roster we already need to find a spot for Bird. Who would you drop for him and Bird?

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 03:27:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He’s garbage. We don’t have room. We need bird as someone else said.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 03:31:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
It's a full roster we already need to find a spot for Bird. Who would you drop for him and Bird?

Trade Morris for a cap clearing 2nd rounder. Roster space and avoid the LT this season.
The only color that matters is GREEN