Author Topic: Rumors: Boston Celtics might trade 3rd overall pick in 2016 NBA draft for Okafor  (Read 41434 times)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I agree that two way players are what the celts really need -- what every team really needs.

I agree.   Which is why I would go for Noel.   Same stats as Sully practically, PPG and RPG with better D.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Again...

People on this board blow my mind sometimes.  The same people who are crying Bender instead of Okafor are the same people who thought we struck gold with James Young, they're the same people who thought Cousins donning green is a negative, they are the same people who thought R.J Hunter is the best thing since sliced bread.  I mean, the "logic" of these people...smh.

To go for Bender when you have a chance at Okafor is asinine.  It's just plain crazy.  There is very little to this guy, Bender.  I just don't see it, just like I didn't see with James Young or R.J Hunter.

Bender instead of Okafor?  What is wrong with people?  Jeez.

Okafor averaged 17.5 pts and 7rbd as a f'ing rookie for godssakes....AS A ROOKIE!

Man, I'm glad some folks here aren't running the Celtics Organization.  Opportunity would be smackin' folks in the face and kicking them in the nuts and they still wouldn't see it.  Unbelievable.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Too bad I have to wait an hour to give you a Tommy Point.

I'll be back.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree that two way players are what the celts really need -- what every team really needs.

I agree.   Which is why I would go for Noel.   Same stats as Sully practically, PPG and RPG with better D.

Noel isn't a two way player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Again...

People on this board blow my mind sometimes.  The same people who are crying Bender instead of Okafor are the same people who thought we struck gold with James Young, they're the same people who thought Cousins donning green is a negative, they are the same people who thought R.J Hunter is the best thing since sliced bread.  I mean, the "logic" of these people...smh.

To go for Bender when you have a chance at Okafor is asinine.  It's just plain crazy.  There is very little to this guy, Bender.  I just don't see it, just like I didn't see with James Young or R.J Hunter.

Okafor averaged 17.5 pts and 7rbd as a f'ing rookie for godssakes....AS A ROOKIE!

Man, I'm glad some folks here aren't running the Celtics Organization.  Opportunity would be smackin' folks in the face and kicking them in the nuts and they still wouldn't see it.  Unbelievable.

Ah yes, the 'ole "people who disagree with me must just be dumb!" argument

People here value different things in a player.  Those people also have different views of how a player will turn out.

Any proof on the people that want Bender also like James Young, hate Cousins, and love Hunter?  Because somehow I doubt it.

Look at Okafor.  He averages fewer rebounds/36 minutes than Tyler Zeller.  He's a slow, hulking 5 that can't play D and can't rebound.  He's an amazing post scorer, but he's a one-dimensional player.  Is it that crazy for people to want to take a flyer on somebody that has the potential to be a good two-way player in this league, with positional versatility and an outside game to boot?

Anyone saying that Bender is a surefire star is wrong, but so are people saying that he's a surefire bust or that Okafor is guaranteed to be a star.  We don't know how any player is gonna end up, and just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them "crazy" or stupid
I'm bitter.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He also played 5 more MPG

Sully and Noel don't make sense to compare, they're totally different players
I'm bitter.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Again...

This line of thinking got us Rodney Rogers and Tony Delp for rookie (future all star) Joe Johnson. Got us Kenny Anderson for Chauncey Billups.  You can't just look at a player's current production to make a decision. The math is more complicated than that. You have to take into account projection, and league trends. For example, when was the last time you saw a low post dominant player like Okafor lead or co-star in a championship run? Shaq circa early 2000's?  That was over a decade ago. (We can debate about Tim Duncan, but his greatest assets, rebounding, passing and defense, are Okafor's greatest weaknesses, so not sure we want to go there.)

The tricky part is projecting a kid like Bender.  That is why Danny is paid the big bucks. To analyze and predict how a kid will turn out in the league.  He may in fact agree with a lot of folk on the board that the kid won't be a great NBA player. I have no clue. Just like the the "possibility" at this time of the season. 

The irony in all of this is that we are watching the league become dominated by the guards, given the spacing, and we are stuck in a debate on whether to draft of trade for a 7 footer!!

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Again...

Hold up now. James Young Bender and RJ Hunter are all examples of bad players who people on this board bought into because they thought they could improve the weaknesses in their game.

That is Okafor. Okafor made the worst team in the league worse when he was on the floor this year. That is bad.

However, he still has value(and a lot of it) because it is reasonable to believe he can improve the flaws in his game.

Someone had to score in Philly. Ish Smith and Nerlens Noel also put up pretty solid counting stats for them and neither of those guys are good offensive players.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Again...

This line of thinking got us Rodney Rogers and Tony Delp for rookie (future all star) Joe Johnson. Got us Kenny Anderson for Chauncey Billups.
Please remind me who the 20-year old rookie was, Rogers, Delk or Kenny Anderson? "That kind of thinking" (which would be trading young players for established if limited veterans in the middle of their careers, in case you wondered) has zero applicability in this case.

If you were looking for a comparative scenario, that would be trading Marcus Smart for  Taj Gibson or Ramon Sessions.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm not gonna believe some stats that say okafor made his team worse. He's great for the 3rd pick. I'd be ecstatic.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Okafor did make his team worse. But i look at the team that was around him and I think he would have had to completely change who he is as a player to not make that team worse. The sixers just did not have the structure in place for a post up big who is a work in progress defensively to have success beyond an individual level.

It's actually really impressive to me that Okafor managed to do so well offensively when he was surrounded by non shooters who mostly don't belong in the NBA.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Again...

This line of thinking got us Rodney Rogers and Tony Delp for rookie (future all star) Joe Johnson. Got us Kenny Anderson for Chauncey Billups.  You can't just look at a player's current production to make a decision. The math is more complicated than that. You have to take into account projection, and league trends. For example, when was the last time you saw a low post dominant player like Okafor lead or co-star in a championship run? Shaq circa early 2000's?  That was over a decade ago. (We can debate about Tim Duncan, but his greatest assets, rebounding, passing and defense, are Okafor's greatest weaknesses, so not sure we want to go there.)

The tricky part is projecting a kid like Bender.  That is why Danny is paid the big bucks. To analyze and predict how a kid will turn out in the league.  He may in fact agree with a lot of folk on the board that the kid won't be a great NBA player. I have no clue. Just like the the "possibility" at this time of the season. 

The irony in all of this is that we are watching the league become dominated by the guards, given the spacing, and we are stuck in a debate on whether to draft of trade for a 7 footer!!

Yeah, I mean the previous logic is also the kind that would say "of course get Iverson and C-Webb on the same team, that's a 30/4/8 and a 20/9/5!" also how Amare gets 100 million, etc.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Again...

What?  I'm pretty strongly against trading for Okafor and thought Young was a horrible pick at the time, from a consistent perspective of being a defense-first guy who usually hates all-offense, no-defense guys.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Again...

The "people" you have lumped together with these view points probably do not exist, and if they do, they are a small minority. Some people liked James Young as a high upside draft people (view vocally hated it at the time) . Some people like Bender. Some people hate bender. Some people love Okafor, some hate him, some are ambivalent. I don't know what RJ Hunter has to do with it. I don't know why you envision a large group of people with similar feelings on the matter.  It is also unclear who or what is kicking said fans "in the nuts" either.....

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Again...

Ah yes, the 'ole "people who disagree with me must just be dumb!" argument

People here value different things in a player.  Those people also have different views of how a player will turn out.

Any proof on the people that want Bender also like James Young, hate Cousins, and love Hunter?  Because somehow I doubt it.

Look at Okafor.  He averages fewer rebounds/36 minutes than Tyler Zeller.  He's a slow, hulking 5 that can't play D and can't rebound.  He's an amazing post scorer, but he's a one-dimensional player.  Is it that crazy for people to want to take a flyer on somebody that has the potential to be a good two-way player in this league, with positional versatility and an outside game to boot?

Anyone saying that Bender is a surefire star is wrong, but so are people saying that he's a surefire bust or that Okafor is guaranteed to be a star.  We don't know how any player is gonna end up, and just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them "crazy" or stupid

Reason is not subjective. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell