Author Topic: The (possible) upside of starting the year with Rondo and Smart  (Read 354 times)

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Starting the year with Smart could really get Rondo's competitive juices flowing. No one wants to get shown up by a rook, and it seems like Smart is a terrific competitor. I wouldn't be surprised if RR steps up his intensity into training camp and beyond. He probably hit the gym at 4 AM today.

Best case scenario, Rondo comes back in the first half of next year at or above his previous best, with Smart showing great promise as the 3rd guard. We'd hit the trade deadline with a much more valuable asset in Rondo - or attraction for other stars - than we have right now.

For better or worse, Rondo seems to often respond best when faced with competitive pressure. We're not going to be a contender, so that's not much motivation, but facing competition from within the roster might have the same effect.

Re: The (possible) upside of starting the year with Rondo and Smart
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:23:37 AM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
The C's struggle to generate offense and don't rebound well...I can see a temporary solution to this problem being a pressing D that grinds down opposing ball handlers...Avery and Smart are going to drive people crazy and if Rondo can get back in form I can see a lot of easy layups for the three of them as they rotate in and out of the game. 

Just imagine starting the game getting bounced around by 230lbs Smart (and a 6'9 wingspan) only to have him sub out and be replaced by All-Defensive Avery Bradley...followed up by Rondo with his huge wingspan and hands.

I would have those three splitting minutes all season long.