Author Topic: Celtics out of gas but still no 15th man!  (Read 13819 times)

Re: Celtics out of gas but still no 15th man!
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2023, 01:09:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
On a side note, how is it that these guys are "gassed".  I realize I'm going to sound like an old fart, but jeez, these guys have access to all sorts of training, health plans, first-class travel and accommodations etc...Not to mention "load management".  I don't remember guys being gassed being an excuse or an issue "back in the day".

Yeah.  Larry Bird averaged 38.4 minutes per game for his career, and 42.0 minutes per game in the playoffs.  In 1988, he averaged 44.9 minutes in the playoffs!!

I love JT, but he's averaging 37.4 minutes this year (2nd in the NBA), and he's playing like he just ran a marathon before every game. 

And, the 1986 team played at a significantly faster pace.

Maybe it's a matter of guys today carrying around more muscle mass, especially perimeter players?  The heavier you are, the faster you're going to get worn out, I presume.  (Larry is listed at 220 opposed to JT's 210, but Tatum is more jacked.)  That said, guys like Karl Malone played around 40mpg, and almost never missed games.

All true.

Another side note you just made me think of.  Horton-Tucker in a Jazz uniform made me do a couple of double-takes the other night thinking he was the Mailman.  I wonder how close in size they are.  Back then Mailman seemed like a monster.  Would he now be the equivalent of Horton-Tucker's size? 
Yup

« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2023, 01:41:25 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
15th roster spot is something to argue about but it has very little to do with what's wrong with the team.

It’s probably got a limited effect on the floor, but it proves how full of crap Wyc is.  Mr. “no spending limit, we’re all in for this season” actually cut payroll during the season.
You don't make a disgusting amount of money by 'giving it away'.
I think Roy's biggest issue is the dishonesty.  If you aren't going to spend whatever it takes, then don't say there is no spending limit.  Say something more like, we are near our budget, but for the right move we can spend more, or something like that.
Both teams spent hard, my man. Both teams spent hard.
Sure, but don't say you have an unlimited budget and no spending limit if it is apparent you do.  Boston let two large TPE's expire without use.  Boston has carried several worthless spots on the roster all season long and currently has an open spot.  Boston has reduced payroll this year.  If you are at your budget then don't say you have no budget.  You come off like a dishonest liar and there was no reason for him to say anything about it all. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2023, 01:47:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Well if they are gassed, then theoretically this little stretch should help them. Only 2 games in a span of 7 days with multiple days off right before and after the Kings game. For guys dealing with something (like Tatum's wrist or Smart's ankle or Brogdon's Achilles or Timelord's everything) this should help as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2023, 03:45:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Well if they are gassed, then theoretically this little stretch should help them. Only 2 games in a span of 7 days with multiple days off right before and after the Kings game. For guys dealing with something (like Tatum's wrist or Smart's ankle or Brogdon's Achilles or Timelord's everything) this should help as well.

It should be a big help going into the stretch run. It would still be smart to sign someone for that last spot.

« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2023, 03:23:59 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I had not seen this previously:

Shams Charania: The Utah Jazz are signing center Luka Samanic to a 10-day contract out of the NBA G League’s Maine Celtics, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Samanic is averaging 20.6 points and 10.8 rebounds in G League. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Not sure if this Luka is going to amount to anything in the NBA but I have to admit that I am disappointed to see him go to Utah.

« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2023, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Shams Charania: The Utah Jazz are signing center Luka Samanic to a 10-day contract out of the NBA G League’s Maine Celtics, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Samanic is averaging 20.6 points and 10.8 rebounds in G League. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Not sure if this Luka is going to amount to anything in the NBA but I have to admit that I am disappointed to see him go to Utah.

This is one where we should know more about him than the Jazz right?  If Brad and co. thought he could contribute more than the end of bench bigs we would have done something I assume?  Not sure why I am sticking up for Brad and the FO...lol

« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2023, 03:37:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Yeah, me too. Who are grabbing for that spot? With all the injuries we might need another ball handler. More shooting would also be good. We can't just leave that spot empty, can we?

« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2023, 03:42:53 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

This is one where we should know more about him than the Jazz right?  If Brad and co. thought he could contribute more than the end of bench bigs we would have done something I assume?  Not sure why I am sticking up for Brad and the FO...lol

Probably a Will Hardy guy.

Luka's 2 years in San Antonio coincided with Will Hardy's time there.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2023, 03:43:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Yeah, me too. Who are grabbing for that spot? With all the injuries we might need another ball handler. More shooting would also be good. We can't just leave that spot empty, can we?

We didn't use any of the TPEs either.  These moves seem like no-brainers, so there has to be more to it than meets the eye I guess.  You are going to tell me zero ring chasers could have been added as depth for our team?  There has to be some vets that would like that.

« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2023, 03:59:13 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I tend to agree with you.  I don't think Luka Samanic would make 1 iota of difference this season.  In my mind, it was more about keeping him in the organization as a prospect, so we could have a look at him next season.  He is only 23 years old.

I have found the Celtic's management and ownership to be pretty solid overall.  They have earned some benefit of the doubt with the deals for White, Brogdon, Gallinari, Muscala.  Davison appears to be a great second round draft pick.  But I would rather have Samanic on a 2-way over Kabengele.

« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2023, 04:17:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
With us resting players down the stretch, it would be a good time to sign a player to that last roster spot.

« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2023, 04:38:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
With us resting players down the stretch, it would be a good time to sign a player to that last roster spot.

You going to pay their salary, Liam? Apparently Wyc isn’t interested in doing so.  :blank:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2023, 04:49:37 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Keep in mind that we have been suiting up Davison and Kabengele the last few games (home games anyway).  So if we have everyone on the regular roster expect Gallinari plus the 2-ways, that gives us plenty of bodies.  I agree that it would have been nice to sign someone that could actually help the team (more so than Davison or Kabengele) but I am not sure that player was/is available.  You can be half full or half empty on this.  Either believe the Celtics tried but just didn't like any of the available options or believe they could have signed some helpful player but didn't because they are cheap.

« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2023, 04:53:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Keep in mind that we have been suiting up Davison and Kabengele the last few games (home games anyway).  So if we have everyone on the regular roster expect Gallinari plus the 2-ways, that gives us plenty of bodies.  I agree that it would have been nice to sign someone that could actually help the team (more so than Davison or Kabengele) but I am not sure that player was/is available.  You can be half full or half empty on this.  Either believe the Celtics tried but just didn't like any of the available options or believe they could have signed some helpful player but didn't because they are cheap.

I believe that they were cheap. No other reason I can think of. Did anyone ever sign Stanley Johnson?

« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2023, 05:08:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Either believe the Celtics tried but just didn't like any of the available options or believe they could have signed some helpful player but didn't because they are cheap.

It’s hard to believe they came to the conclusion that there’s not a single basketball player available, anywhere, that adds more value than literally nobody.

Hell, sign Sue Bird.  She’d being more than literally nothing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes