Author Topic: 2023 Draft Bigs  (Read 7176 times)

2023 Draft Bigs
« on: January 16, 2023, 02:28:05 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm taking a slightly different approach to this years draft. In the past as fantasy football ends I find myself diving into the NBA draft and taking it all in at once. This year I have decided to break down the draft in three (maybe be 4) positional groupings then in a few months pull them together in 1 big board. The first group I am looking at are the Bigs, this is the position that I think makes the most sense for the Cs to take a shot at with the hope of developing a future rotational piece. 

The hope is that the Rockets 2nd round pick misses its 31/32 protection and/or the Blazers struggle and their pick ends up in the 31-40 range. Best case scenario the Cs could have two picks in the 30s. While star or even starters are hard to find looking back over the last 8 drafts every year yielded at least one solid 2nd round post prospect. To name a few 22 Koloko, 21 Robinson-Earl, 20 Tillman, 19 Gafford, 18 Vanderbilt, 17 Bryant, 16 Zubac, 15 Harrell. These 20 bigs are my initial prediction for who gets drafted, I have an additional 15 who I view as currently outside the draft. A few of these guy namely Brazile may eventually get moved to my wing/swing ranking.

1          Vicotor Wembanyama, generational talent

10-18   Kel'el Ware, lacks consistency but modern big who can rim protect and shoot

15-20   Adem Bona, Clint Capela 2.0 type athletic rim runner
20-30   Kyle Filipowski, needs the right team to hide him on D
20-30   Dereck Lively, raw project who needs shots created for him
20-30   Mouhamed Gueye, needs weight/strength but elite athlete

25-35   Azuolas Tubelis, skilled 7' who could work his way into a solid well rounded starting 5. Will be more of a team defender then a true rim protector
25-35       DaRon Holmes, stat sheet filler
25-35   Coleman Hawkins, could thrive passing and play D on a good team
30-40   Noah Clowney, young skilled big whose shot is a swing skill

2nd round   

31-45   Trevon Brazile, was a guard early in HS then shot up to 6'10 out with ACL but a lot of potential may be more wing then big
31-45 S   James Nnaji, raw physically gifted draft and stash candidate
31-45   Hunter Dickinson, great old school college big who has show ability to shoot
31-45   Armando Bacot, limited skill set but should be solid backup 5
31-45   Trayce Jackson-Davis, skilled undersized 5 if he projected as shooter would be in 1st

45-58   Drew Timme, just to good a college player not to carve out some type of role. Great screen setter and elite post scorer
45-58   Oscare Tshiebwe, elite rebounded who will produce if he can get minutes
45-58   Zach Edey, giant skilled big man who could surprise if drafted into the right situation
45-58 S   Tistan Vukcevic, raw but skilled draft and stash face up 5. 20 years ago he would be a top 10 pick/bust
45-58 S   Ousmane Ndiaye, lean ultra athletic deep stash prospect

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: 2023 Draft Bigs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 10:15:40 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I guess a 7 game winning streak in January limits the interest in the up coming draft.

Thought this was interesting for what it’s worth Tankathon posted their first 2 round mock. Two of my first round bigs are in their 2nd round and another 2 Are not even mocked.

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 11:12:46 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I know it's not the point of this thread, but we should be targetting seniors who are solid two way wings... Shooting
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 11:16:06 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I guess a 7 game winning streak in January limits the interest in the up coming draft.

Thought this was interesting for what it’s worth Tankathon posted their first 2 round mock. Two of my first round bigs are in their 2nd round and another 2 Are not even mocked.

Wonder what Charlotte does if they stay at #2...

Maybe trade down a spot and pick up another 1st rounder?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 02:42:39 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Wonder what Charlotte does if they stay at #2...

Maybe trade down a spot and pick up another 1st rounder?

hijacking my own post.... but I was thinking about that same scenario. Scoot is to good to pass up, if Hornets land #2 they draft Scoot, trade away Terry, and watch Steve Clifford loose his mind trying to figure out how to make is super talented back-court into a winning back-court. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 02:57:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I know it's not the point of this thread, but we should be targetting seniors who are solid two way wings... Shooting

I'm going to work on my wing / swing rating next. In terms or NBA draft philosophy I don't think a team can ever go wrong taking a wing who has proven he can defend and shoot the 3 in college. This is a safe way to draft and if the team has rotational minutes available those players are often 2nd round or undrafted steals. However given the Cs current roster, the return or Gallo, and the fact the Begarin currently stashed I would rather see an aging vet signed if additional wing depth is needed and a young project big brought in to develop.

Looking at the current Tankathon mock I would view landing Tubelis with Blazers pick as a big win and would hope the Cs would package the two non Celtics if needed to move up a few spots to make sure that happens. The mock currently has the Cs drafting Keyontae Johnson at #60 if his medicals check out that is an absolute steal and to your point he is the type of wing who makes an team despite his draft position.       
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 03:10:30 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 02:55:35 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I recently wanted more of  Trayce Jackson-Davis and looked into him further. He really is an interesting prospect. Son of former NBA player Dale Davis, and his stats this season are truly outlier for a big man.

On the negative side he doesn't look dominate when I watch Indiana play, he is slightly undersized for a Center, he is listed at 6'9 245 and is reported to have a 7'2 wingspan. That makes him roughly the same size as Bam but I wouldn't be surprised to see him measure slightly smaller then that. He has not shown any range as a perimeter shooter and I would have thought this would have been a point of emphasis as a 23 year old senior with clear NBA ability. The fact that he will be 23 at the time of the draft is also a red flag for a draft prospect.

The positive side is his production. The only other high major college big man I have been able to find since the 90s with his combination of passing and shot blocking was senior year Tim Duncan! His traditional stats are great as a 20pt 10rb big and his advanced stats are elite. He is also shooting 71% from the FT line on almost 6 attempts this traditionally is an indicator that players can develop an outside shot.

With all that I am tempted to move him up slightly in my rankings and suspect that analytics heavy front offices like Memphis will have him rank higher then other teams. For the Celtics he could be an interesting pick because of his potential to play Al's role in the future.   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 09:15:36 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 03:12:55 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I could see DaRon Holmes being a riser later in the process. He seems to have a pretty ideal skillset for a modern 4/5 that can fit in with star level players at the wing or guard spots.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 09:15:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Watched more of Adem Bona last night while jumping between Cs game and UCLA vs USC, I am doubling down on the fact that he is under rated in this draft. He doesn't fill the stat sheet but plays with a lot of energy and like Rob draws a lot of attention when he roles to the hoop. What really impressed me how well Bona held his own while on an island defensive vs the USC pg and force him to give the ball up after failing to get separation off the dribble. There are very few bigs who can protect the rim and defend on the perimeter that that level.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 08:03:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I'm really liking Grant Nelson. He looks like a modern NBA big. Looks highly skilled.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 09:57:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 03:44:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I recently wanted more of  Trayce Jackson-Davis and looked into him further. He really is an interesting prospect. Son of former NBA player Dale Davis, and his stats this season are truly outlier for a big man.

On the negative side he doesn't look dominate when I watch Indiana play, he is slightly undersized for a Center, he is listed at 6'9 245 and is reported to have a 7'2 wingspan. That makes him roughly the same size as Bam but I wouldn't be surprised to see him measure slightly smaller then that. He has not shown any range as a perimeter shooter and I would have thought this would have been a point of emphasis as a 23 year old senior with clear NBA ability. The fact that he will be 23 at the time of the draft is also a red flag for a draft prospect.

The positive side is his production. The only other high major college big man I have been able to find since the 90s with his combination of passing and shot blocking was senior year Tim Duncan! His traditional stats are great as a 20pt 10rb big and his advanced stats are elite. He is also shooting 71% from the FT line on almost 6 attempts this traditionally is an indicator that players can develop an outside shot.

With all that I am tempted to move him up slightly in my rankings and suspect that analytics heavy front offices like Memphis will have him rank higher then other teams. For the Celtics he could be an interesting pick because of his potential to play Al's role in the future.
I've been a very big fan of his for a couple of seasons now. Would absolutely take him. The jump his passing has made this season (doubling his assists) has really hammered that home for me.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 05:36:38 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I've been a very big fan of his for a couple of seasons now. Would absolutely take him. The jump his passing has made this season (doubling his assists) has really hammered that home for me.

I like him.  I don’t think he’s special, but I do think he’s a viable NBA reserve big.

I’d still rather go with ceiling, however, given our depth chart and lack of picks.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 05:41:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I like him.  I don’t think he’s special, but I do think he’s a viable NBA reserve big.

I’d still rather go with ceiling, however, given our depth chart and lack of picks.
I'd be tempted to go double big, depending on how the G Williams situation plays out. A draft of Jackson-Davis and Nnaji, for instance, would be perfectly fine with me.

Having said that, we will likely go with neither, because my draft dreams never come true.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2023, 05:44:17 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I'd be tempted to go double big, depending on how the G Williams situation plays out. A draft of Jackson-Davis and Nnaji, for instance, would be perfectly fine with me.

Having said that, we will likely go with neither, because my draft dreams never come true.

We only have one pick, tho.  Either Houston if the pick winds up at 33, or Portland at around 40.  We don’t have any others, although a number of sites have this wrong.