Author Topic: Visiting Washington DC, any suggestions?  (Read 14570 times)

Visiting Washington DC, any suggestions?
« on: August 16, 2022, 12:20:52 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I'm taking a trip to Washington DC to see the sights: National Archives Museum, Lincoln Memorial, the White House, Monument, etc. I plan on driving from Boston.

How is parking in the city? Can anyone recommend a good family hotel with a pool? Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated. I've never been so I'm pretty excited.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Visiting Washington DC, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 12:27:27 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
The Watergate Hotel is pretty cool.

If you want some amazing, upscale Indian food go to Rasika (get a reservation).

Walk the National Mall. Try to get a ticket to the Museum of African-American history.

There are some good double decker bus tours.

Georgetown has some great architecture and restaurants.

And the new City Center is super fancy shopping and dining.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 12:31:07 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
The Watergate Hotel is pretty cool.

If you want some amazing, upscale Indian food go to Rasika (get a reservation).

Walk the National Mall. Try to get a ticket to the Museum of African-American history.

There are some good double decker bus tours.

Georgetown has some great architecture and restaurants.

And the new City Center is super fancy shopping and dining.

You recommend a Bus Tour over Driver/Uber? I was looking into the Big Bus Tour that runs from 9 to 4:30, they essentially drop you off at a sight and you take your time, a new bus arrives every 20 minutes.

PS - Watergate is over $350 a night, I was thinking more in the $150 to $200 range

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 12:58:33 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Parking is metered on the streets, normally 2 hours max, otherwise it’s garages.  It can be difficult to find spots near the major tourist attractions, unsurprisingly.  The rates aren’t terrible on weekends, and maybe even weekdays aren’t so bad now with so many people working remotely.  The Orange and Blue Lines on the Metro will get you near most of the places you’ve mentioned, so if you find a hotel near the orange/blue, that could be a viable transport option.  The Metro’s service has degraded enough lately, however, that I wouldn’t take the train if a transfer is necessary, unfortunately.

The Smithsonians are all terrific, but it’s a lot of walking on the mall.  I used to work in that area and regularly saw families with one or more children under 10 having a meltdown due to sheer exhaustion.  One reason for this is that aside from the in-museum food, there is very little food within several blocks of much of the National Mall, so if you’re bringing kids, and it sounds like you are based on your desire for a family hotel, keep that in mind.

DC hotels tend to be a lot more expensive on weekdays than weekends — I would imagine if you use Hotwire or Priceline you can get a decent deal on a downtown hotel with a pool if you’re traveling on a weekend.

I also recommend the Spy Museum — we went with an intergenerational group right before Covid hit and it was a great time for everyone.  It did a nice job of straddling the line between educational and entertaining.  Unlike most museums in DC, however, it has an admission fee.  It’s also near the Wharf that’s recently been redeveloped and has plenty of restaurants and some nice, relaxing views.

Have a great trip!

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 01:00:11 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I really enjoyed the night tours. Old Ebbitt Grill is a good spot for dinner. I’ve always had a great time when visiting DC. Enjoy.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 06:04:01 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm taking a trip to Washington DC to see the sights: National Archives Museum, Lincoln Memorial, the White House, Monument, etc. I plan on driving from Boston.

How is parking in the city? Can anyone recommend a good family hotel with a pool? Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated. I've never been so I'm pretty excited.

There are some really good hop on hop off tours, let's you see it at your pace.  Contact you Senator or Rep to see if you can arrange a tour.  I've done two and they're worth it.  Smithsonian's, Arlington for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, also. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 06:07:20 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The holocaust museum is excellent.  Best museum in DC, which obviously says a lot.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:10:05 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
The holocaust museum is excellent.  Best museum in DC, which obviously says a lot.
This. I went about 10 years ago, and to this day no museum matches the level of atmosphere and reverence shown by the visitors. I recommend this museum to everyone who is visiting DC.
#JKJB

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 08:47:34 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm know this isn't the intent but seeing the words Holocaust and Excellent in the same sentence just strikes me as really wrong -- even in this context.

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 08:50:32 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
A lot of good suggestions so far. I will add, make sure to visit the Wharf in the SW Waterfront area. They just finished the expansion which nearly doubled the size of the already impressive development. Outside of the Mall, it is imo easily the 2nd most impressive thing to visit in DC. It is also really easy to get to as you can basically just walk south from the Washington Monument and it is begins at Maine.

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 03:58:42 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Appreciate all the feedback here, I’ll post my solidified gameplan in a bit to see what people think. I’m leaning toward staying just over the border in Maryland and driving in for daily activities. Just so much more space and better amenities 25 minutes north. Plus free parking.

Im leaning towards the Big Bus tour. It has great reviews, basically let’s people go about their day to the different sights at their own cadence.

TPs everywhere

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 05:22:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Stay in Northern VA and take the train into DC, it's nice and cheaper.

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 05:24:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Appreciate all the feedback here, I’ll post my solidified gameplan in a bit to see what people think. I’m leaning toward staying just over the border in Maryland and driving in for daily activities. Just so much more space and better amenities 25 minutes north. Plus free parking.

Im leaning towards the Big Bus tour. It has great reviews, basically let’s people go about their day to the different sights at their own cadence.

TPs everywhere

Last time I was there, We stayed at the Crystal City Mariott which is just outside of DC. The prices were reasonable and there is a subway stop below the hotel which was incredibly convenient. Didn’t use the rental car at all once we arrived.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:37:33 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 11:59:48 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Washington DC Trip

Friday, 8/19, leave 11PM
arrive 7am Saturday, early check in.

Saturday, 8/20, Sleep until 1pm-2PM, lunch, National Archives Museum and then national mall at night.

Sunday, 8/21, 9:30 to 4:30 Big Bus sightseeing tour -  Lincoln Memorial, White House, Capital Building, etc. - Swim, Dinner, relax.

Monday, 8/22, checkout and leave for Philadelphia, Liberty Bell, 1-2PM, grab lunch. Leave Philly, arrive home 6-7PM.

So here is a rough idea of my game plan, going to wing it a bit. I ended up choosing a hotel near the redline, right in DC. It’s just me and my almost 11 year old son going.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 01:01:20 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
WW2 and Vietnam Memorials. It has become very important, I believe, that more of our children see what Americans endured and sacrificed to protect freedom. Also, President Kennedy's gravesite and eternal flame.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce