Author Topic: What's up with DC movies?  (Read 16693 times)

Re: What's up with DC movies?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2022, 10:14:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If their going be another Superman movie, Lex Luthor should not be the main villian..need another bad guy and Jesse Eichenberg was a bad choice..Henry Cavill, hopefully, should be Superman again..Heath Ledger was perfect as the Joker while Jarod Leto was downright awful..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2022, 01:50:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I was fine with Snyder's Superman until the end of Man of Steel.  Snyder destroyed everything that makes Superman, Superman with that ending.  The shear disregard for human life and then taking of Zod's life.  That isn't what Superman is supposed to be.  He is supposed to be a beacon of what humanity should be, not what humanity is.
See, while I agree with you overall, I was done with Snyder's garbage Superman from basically the beginning of Man of Steel. The scene where a random guy taunts Superman and then Superman proceeds to trash his truck is so hilariously not Superman, it's character assassination. Not to mention when Superman's father basically tells him that he should have let a bus full of children drown to protect his identity. Also don't get me started on all the Jesus imagery lol.

The Snyder cult has always been such a weird thing to me. That a director so mediocre would have such a rabid following defies logic. Snyder is basically a step above Michael Bay in terms of talent.

The Reeves Superman actually got physical throwing g a bully around and also crushed Zod’s hand sho was as weak as a human snd threw him down a chasm to his death while smiling. Messing up a guy’s truck is much more Superman.
Plus, a Superman growing up in the internet era would have much more cautious parents.  I mean look at how Lois and Clark are handling their kids on Superman and Lois.  I was absolutely fine with a more cautious upbringing with some growing pains.  It was the end of the movie that was just terrible and destroyed everything that makes Superman, Superman.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2022, 03:18:56 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Gunn’s Suicide Squad was a huge flop while the one from 2016 was very successful. I’m excited to see David Ayer’s Suicide Squad from 2016. He has said he didn’t make a comedy . He never used a song with lyrics in his movie. He says his movie is in line with the tone of the first trailer.

I'm guessing your comparing Box office to measure success. While you usually can, this isn't one of them.

2016 SS was the first appearance of Quinn which drove the boxoffice. I sold prints that weekend at the theater, I've never sold that much of One print at all the show openings I've done, and made the most money out side of Force Awakens weekend, but that was two days of 2016 SS vs 4 of Star Wars.

But the 2016 movie was bad, started off good, but after the first 45 minutes it was garbage.

Gunns SS movie came out in the middle of the pandemic, but it did really well streaming and was a hit among audiences. 82 approval over 58 to the 2016 one.

There are ton of movies that are better than Avatar, but because of the 3D gimmick, it had a huge boxoffice, I don't expect the next one to do nearly as well.

Gunn also took a handful of characters that most people didn't know, and turned them into one of the most recognizable Marvel properties. It's definatly in my top 5 of rewatchable Marvel movies, and top 10 all time.

I dont know why you brought up Ayer, we haven't actually seen his movie, it's like blaming Snyder for the JLA that Whedon almost completely reshot.

I bring up Ayer because I suspect Ayer’s cut of his Suicide Squad will be released and I expect it will be much better and much different in tone than the theatrical. After seeing what the studio and Whedon did to Snyder’s movie I’m really curious how different it will be.

I doubt they will do a Directors cut of SS. New guy running the show is cutting budgets, he's trying to cut 3 billion off by the end of the year. I don't know if they would make their money back on it in theater, remember what ever they spend they'll spend double that plus on ads. Streaming wont bring in enough either.

And after the Miller stuff they might have to do a hard reboot and start over in a few years.

But they could do a second Batman, and then do a worlds finest with Cavil and Affleck, maybe use that to bring in the alternate world that will be the new DCU.

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2022, 05:57:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just watched Thor:  Love and Thunder.

To me, it's as good or better than any DC movie in the current class.  I'm wondering why it got sort of middling reviews.  I think I read it received the worst ratings of all the Marvel movies.  I'm puzzled by that.  I waited weeks to watch it because I was expecting a suck fest, and I thought it was legitimately good.

DC movies I've said that about:  Joker, *maybe* the Batman...

Maybe I'm just any easy critic.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2022, 02:05:08 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Gunn’s Suicide Squad was a huge flop while the one from 2016 was very successful. I’m excited to see David Ayer’s Suicide Squad from 2016. He has said he didn’t make a comedy . He never used a song with lyrics in his movie. He says his movie is in line with the tone of the first trailer.

I'm guessing your comparing Box office to measure success. While you usually can, this isn't one of them.

2016 SS was the first appearance of Quinn which drove the boxoffice. I sold prints that weekend at the theater, I've never sold that much of One print at all the show openings I've done, and made the most money out side of Force Awakens weekend, but that was two days of 2016 SS vs 4 of Star Wars.

But the 2016 movie was bad, started off good, but after the first 45 minutes it was garbage.

Gunns SS movie came out in the middle of the pandemic, but it did really well streaming and was a hit among audiences. 82 approval over 58 to the 2016 one.

There are ton of movies that are better than Avatar, but because of the 3D gimmick, it had a huge boxoffice, I don't expect the next one to do nearly as well.

Gunn also took a handful of characters that most people didn't know, and turned them into one of the most recognizable Marvel properties. It's definatly in my top 5 of rewatchable Marvel movies, and top 10 all time.

I dont know why you brought up Ayer, we haven't actually seen his movie, it's like blaming Snyder for the JLA that Whedon almost completely reshot.

I bring up Ayer because I suspect Ayer’s cut of his Suicide Squad will be released and I expect it will be much better and much different in tone than the theatrical. After seeing what the studio and Whedon did to Snyder’s movie I’m really curious how different it will be.

I doubt they will do a Directors cut of SS. New guy running the show is cutting budgets, he's trying to cut 3 billion off by the end of the year. I don't know if they would make their money back on it in theater, remember what ever they spend they'll spend double that plus on ads. Streaming wont bring in enough either.

And after the Miller stuff they might have to do a hard reboot and start over in a few years.

But they could do a second Batman, and then do a worlds finest with Cavil and Affleck, maybe use that to bring in the alternate world that will be the new DCU.

It’s almost a completely done  movie though. I don’t know for sure but since they are restoring the “ Snyderverse”  Ayer’s Suicide Squad was supposed to fit in tone. Before studio interference Steppenwolf and Parademons were supposed to be teased.
   But I don’t think it would be a theatrical release either. Maybe just to kinda help decanonize Gunn’s movie which really clashes in tone.

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2022, 04:21:54 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Don’t think any DC movies can top Christopher Nolan’s Batman Dark Night Trilogy..Christian Bale & Heath Ledger were great..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2022, 04:57:53 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I was fine with Snyder's Superman until the end of Man of Steel.  Snyder destroyed everything that makes Superman, Superman with that ending.  The shear disregard for human life and then taking of Zod's life.  That isn't what Superman is supposed to be.  He is supposed to be a beacon of what humanity should be, not what humanity is.
See, while I agree with you overall, I was done with Snyder's garbage Superman from basically the beginning of Man of Steel. The scene where a random guy taunts Superman and then Superman proceeds to trash his truck is so hilariously not Superman, it's character assassination. Not to mention when Superman's father basically tells him that he should have let a bus full of children drown to protect his identity. Also don't get me started on all the Jesus imagery lol.

The Snyder cult has always been such a weird thing to me. That a director so mediocre would have such a rabid following defies logic. Snyder is basically a step above Michael Bay in terms of talent.

I hate these arguments that nitpick the Man of Steel movie, yet completely ignore the same instances when it comes to the MCU.

Then there is the so called Snyder cult. What is wrong with people liking his movies? What I hate are the MCU fan boys that simply bash any comic book movie that wasn't made by Marvel Studios.

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2022, 05:02:10 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Don’t think any DC movies can top Christopher Nolan’s Batman Dark Night Trilogy..Christian Bale & Heath Ledger were great..

Although I think the Avengers finale were the ones that brought the most emotions and highly entertaining, Dark Knight was by far the best movie. I think the one with Heath Ledger just goes beyond super hero movie. The score, the cinematography, the mood and writing, all of that was exceptional and that doesn't even include Heath Ledger's acting.

Unfortunately, DC movies just doesn't have anything close to it, whether it be a serious movie or just for entertaining. I thought Shazam was entertaining and Wonder Woman was okay until it started getting to too much CGI and magic.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

I hate these arguments that nitpick the Man of Steel movie, yet completely ignore the same instances when it comes to the MCU.

Then there is the so called Snyder cult. What is wrong with people liking his movies? What I hate are the MCU fan boys that simply bash any comic book movie that wasn't made by Marvel Studios.
I think Marvel is pretty bad overall, and if you bothered to read my previous post I said DC has had better movies overall the past couple of years, soooooo... I guess I'm a really bad marvel fanboy?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2022, 07:05:05 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

The Reeves Superman actually got physical throwing g a bully around and also crushed Zod’s hand sho was as weak as a human snd threw him down a chasm to his death while smiling. Messing up a guy’s truck is much more Superman.
Plus, a Superman growing up in the internet era would have much more cautious parents.  I mean look at how Lois and Clark are handling their kids on Superman and Lois.  I was absolutely fine with a more cautious upbringing with some growing pains.  It was the end of the movie that was just terrible and destroyed everything that makes Superman, Superman.
I think there's a pretty big leap between being cautious and telling your son that you should have let a bunch of children drown to protect your identity.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2022, 07:07:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Although I think the Avengers finale were the ones that brought the most emotions and highly entertaining, Dark Knight was by far the best movie. I think the one with Heath Ledger just goes beyond super hero movie. The score, the cinematography, the mood and writing, all of that was exceptional and that doesn't even include Heath Ledger's acting.

Unfortunately, DC movies just doesn't have anything close to it, whether it be a serious movie or just for entertaining. I thought Shazam was entertaining and Wonder Woman was okay until it started getting to too much CGI and magic.
Batman Begins is a far superior movie to the Dark Knight.  Ledger was just so good he overshadows a lot of the crap that was in the movie.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:45:00 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2022, 12:33:29 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I never cared for one franchise over the other. Both are kinda silly to me . But as far as movies I’ve found the Snyder ones to be better movies. Those and I thought WW was good too except the last act was visually cringey I thought. The rest of the DC movies are either a mess of time ( 1st Suicide Squad) or corny and kinda slap sticky. That’s how I’ve found Marvel movies. Dance contests and talking animals. Just not for me. I think I’d enjoy sone of those characters stories if they were more for adults. But smart business on their part.

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2022, 12:53:32 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
I never cared for one franchise over the other. Both are kinda silly to me . But as far as movies I’ve found the Snyder ones to be better movies. Those and I thought WW was good too except the last act was visually cringey I thought. The rest of the DC movies are either a mess of time ( 1st Suicide Squad) or corny and kinda slap sticky. That’s how I’ve found Marvel movies. Dance contests and talking animals. Just not for me. I think I’d enjoy sone of those characters stories if they were more for adults. But smart business on their part.

I agree that the market is a different one. I think for Marvel, I enjoy the movies but I feel like I can enjoy the whole scope. My wife saw part of Spider Man and I was actually surprised that she wanted to see the movie from start to end along with my kids. They enjoyed the movie itself but there are others, like Black Widow that I don't think my kids would like, or Thor, where there's too magic.

I also wonder at this stage of the game, can anybody be able to watch a Marvel movie and understand it or do they have to go back 10 movies to understand the characters?
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2022, 01:19:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I also wonder at this stage of the game, can anybody be able to watch a Marvel movie and understand it or do they have to go back 10 movies to understand the characters?

I don't think you necessarily need to know the entire backstory to enjoy the movies.

For instance, Thor 4.  A new audience member may ask, why doesn't Thor have his hammer, or what's the full back story with Jane Foster, but you don't miss a lot of the plot.  The most recent Dr. Strange probably makes sense if somebody hasn't seen WandaVision, although it helps. 

That’s how I’ve found Marvel movies. Dance contests and talking animals. Just not for me. I think I’d enjoy sone of those characters stories if they were more for adults.

I get that.  I like my comic book movies with humor and rock music.  I love Guardians of the Galaxy.  And, even in a Snyder movie like 300 -- perhaps Snyder's best movie -- I though the pure testosterone could have taken a step back.

There's obviously a mix in play.  A superhero movie can be great without a ton of humor:  see first two Christopher Nolan Batman movies, Logan, etc.  And, a good superhero movie can be made for adults, while also having humor (Deadpool).

Marvel movies aren't perfect; they're too prone to fast-forwarding epic story lines (see Civil War), but I find the ones centered around great characters to mostly be very good. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2022, 03:15:32 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell

I don't think you necessarily need to know the entire backstory to enjoy the movies.

For instance, Thor 4.  A new audience member may ask, why doesn't Thor have his hammer, or what's the full back story with Jane Foster, but you don't miss a lot of the plot.  The most recent Dr. Strange probably makes sense if somebody hasn't seen WandaVision, although it helps. 

That’s how I’ve found Marvel movies. Dance contests and talking animals. Just not for me. I think I’d enjoy sone of those characters stories if they were more for adults.

I get that.  I like my comic book movies with humor and rock music.  I love Guardians of the Galaxy.  And, even in a Snyder movie like 300 -- perhaps Snyder's best movie -- I though the pure testosterone could have taken a step back.

There's obviously a mix in play.  A superhero movie can be great without a ton of humor:  see first two Christopher Nolan Batman movies, Logan, etc.  And, a good superhero movie can be made for adults, while also having humor (Deadpool).

Marvel movies aren't perfect; they're too prone to fast-forwarding epic story lines (see Civil War), but I find the ones centered around great characters to mostly be very good.

I agree with you, especially with the tone of the movie. It really depends on the movie and whether you want to have a cinematic experience or just be entertained. I think Marvel movies are mainly for entertainment, but I do find them very entertaining. The goofy and comedy adds to the entertaining like in Guardians, Ant Man and Thor Radnorik (spl?). However, Dark Knight to me feels beyond pure entertainment since it is such a great movie. Then you have Joker which I thought was really well done and bring out good points about mental health, but it's not a movie I would watch over and over again.

I do find DC's The Suicide Squad (last one) to be a great entertaining movie. That is one of the few DC movies (besides Dark Knight) that I have seen multiple times and be entertained.
Baby Jesus!