Author Topic: Is Grant a goner? (Yes: Traded to DAL for second rounders)  (Read 74791 times)

Re: Is Grant a goner?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2022, 12:22:25 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Does the Gallo signing signal that the C’s will be moving on from Grant Williams, as he will be a RFA this time next year?
Why would signing someone at the tail end of his career signal that we are moving on from a young player whose timeline matches our stars?

Because of the salary cap. Gallo is 33, so I’m not sure it’s fair to say he’s at the tail end of his career considering many players are still going strong in their late 30’s. Danilo is making under $7M/year. Grant could command $10M-12M/season. I’m not sure he’s worth that kind of money.

Gallo has a player option.  If he has a good year, he’ll decline it and be an unrestricted free agent the Celtics could only offer $7.8 million to, which would likely be exceeded by other teams. If he has not good year, he’ll pick up the option but clearly be behind Grant in the rotation.

So you say that Gallo is clearly behind Grant in the rotation, but if Danilo has a good year he would decline his player option and become an UFA. How is he going to have a good year statistically if he is behind Grant in the PF depth chart. Again, why would Brad spend the MLE on a 3rd string player. It doesn’t make sense.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2022, 12:44:58 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Danny’s not GM anymore, so you better believe Grant is going be paid what he’s worth. They’ll probably ensure:

Salary for Grant + salary for Horford in 2022-2023
=
Salary for Grant + salary for Horford in 2023-2024

In other words, Horford takes lower pay for a less active role and Grant takes more pay for a more active role. Ultimately budget neutral year-over-year.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 01:46:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Does the Gallo signing signal that the C’s will be moving on from Grant Williams, as he will be a RFA this time next year?
Why would signing someone at the tail end of his career signal that we are moving on from a young player whose timeline matches our stars?

Because of the salary cap. Gallo is 33, so I’m not sure it’s fair to say he’s at the tail end of his career considering many players are still going strong in their late 30’s. Danilo is making under $7M/year. Grant could command $10M-12M/season. I’m not sure he’s worth that kind of money.

Gallo has a player option.  If he has a good year, he’ll decline it and be an unrestricted free agent the Celtics could only offer $7.8 million to, which would likely be exceeded by other teams. If he has not good year, he’ll pick up the option but clearly be behind Grant in the rotation.

So you say that Gallo is clearly behind Grant in the rotation, but if Danilo has a good year he would decline his player option and become an UFA. How is he going to have a good year statistically if he is behind Grant in the PF depth chart. Again, why would Brad spend the MLE on a 3rd string player. It doesn’t make sense.
Being behind someone in the rotation =/= being a string behind them. Rob Williams is behind Tatum in the rotation, still first string.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 02:20:44 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Grant's a smart guy who has been improving every year, who can defend multiple positions, who can shoot from the perimeter and attack closeouts, and has a high BBIQ. He's going to be used in a lot of small ball lineups as the big, and will be used in other lineups as a big wing. I doubt he's going anywhere. They'll agree on a number around the $8-10m a year mark which I think is fair for an extension, considering PJ Tucker gets paid $11m a year.

Gallo's here for a specific purpose - to provide scoring off the bench especially during the regular season. He's a different player to GWill and much more one dimensional, he's not a great defender, especially at this stage of his career. I'd wager that come playoff time GWill will be playing a lot more minutes than Gallo will.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 03:14:55 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Grant’s 23, shot 37% from 3 last regular season, 41% this season, 39% in the playoffs, while being a solid, versatile defender, and was one of KD and Giannis’ main defenders (which led to one of their least efficient playoff series). Grant’s guarded the 6’11 MVP better than most, among other behemoths, so the Grant-Gallo frontcourt is being overlooked.

Brad’s MO is to lock in players that he likes as soon as possible, he did it with Rob, Marcus, and Richardson last season. He’s played Grant since his rookie season and he’s only improved since, I can see Brad signing Grant to a 4y/$24-40M deal before this season.

Gallo signed for approx. $6.5M, Rob for $12M, Horford’s contract is expiring (and I expect him to sign for less than his current AAV), for the amount of trustworthy playoff performers, we have one of the best cap situations in the NBA.

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 04:37:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's okay if he isn't kept, the team will give up picks for a TPE they say they will use  ::)

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2022, 06:12:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
There is virtually no way the team wouldn't match a 10 to 12 million a year offer on Grant and if they didn't it would have nothing to do with Gallo.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2022, 07:14:45 AM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Does the Gallo signing signal that the C’s will be moving on from Grant Williams, as he will be a RFA this time next year? I’d assume he wants to get paid and I’m not sure Grant is worth $10M+ per season. He’s clearly not a suitable long term replacement for Horford and I expect that Al has a few more good seasons in him.

I also think Brogdon is a better option as a backup SF. He’s the same height as Grant and overall more athletic/talented. Gallo can only really play the 4… in an emergency, guess you could put him at the 5, but it’s going to be ugly. Assuming Al plays 20mpg at PF( and 10mpg at C) that doesn’t leave much for Grant and Gallo at PF. I don’t think Danilo signed his two year deal with Boston to be a 3rd string PF and I also don’t think Brad would have used the MLE on a player that wasn’t going to see a good amount of court time.

Unless the C's get a high end backup center, I can see Hortford playing 10m at PF and 15 at C, with TL getting 25m at C and the rest being the rare Kornett/Gallo/GW at the 5 to mix it up.  This leaves 35M for Gallo/GW at the 4 with GW maybe getting a few minutes at SF in certain matchups.  All can change if they pickup a decent Back up at wing or C, moving minutes around some, and of course, injuries.

Re: Is Grant a goner
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2022, 07:35:36 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I don’t see Grant as “third string” because they’re different kinds of players. You don’t want Gallo switching onto the opposing 1-3, especially if they’re a scorer; that’s Grant’s bread and butter. I can imagine them even playing together on some bench hits, Gallo defending a big who isn’t much of a threat to score and then drawing him out to the perimeter on the other end, and Grant as the PF. That’s also part of a possible five-out rotation to give Jaylen or Brogdon to work with. There will be time for both to play.

Bigger picture, the Cs probably are probably hoping that Grant will continue growing his game and clearly earn his extension. He looked very good at times in the first few rounds, and if he keeps growing he is perfectly suited to the schemes on both ends.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2022, 08:22:55 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm not so sure the direct answer is no.  Although Gallo's age might play a little in this, but if Brad can package GWill for a big, then he does it.

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2022, 08:37:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he will still be on the team.

What we don't need to see if him trying to play small ball five.   That has never worked save a game or two.  I know people like Westerholm  keep pushing this but it is folly and he can't rim protect or rebound well as a five.

Right now he is the 8th man on the team and will play.  We honestly need to rest the J's more.  So no, I doubt he is a goner.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2022, 08:43:16 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

No, he said that if Gallo has a not good year then he'd obviously be behind Grant in the rotation. If he's having a good year then he'd probably be ahead of Grant in the rotation, but also would probably decline his option.

And Gallo is clearly part one of the top 9 players on the team/will be in the rotation, so "3rd string" is pretty misleading.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2022, 08:52:08 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Why would Brad spend the MLE on a 3rd string player? Because he had an MLE and that is one the teams primary needs at the moment. Almost everything else is covered. Al and Robert Williams are expected to miss games, so when either is out, that 3rd string needs to play real minutes.

This offseason isn't over. Stevens may not do anything else, but if the team gets a bigger opportunity, I expect him to take a shot.

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2022, 10:35:07 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I have GWill in the $12-15mil per annum range on his next deal so a 4yr $50-60million deal.

I expect someone will give him a deal above the MLE with an eye to him being starter and a high level defensive option against the likes of Giannis & Durant who almost nobody in the league can defend. Strong team ethic guy who is about winning.

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2022, 10:45:31 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

There are no NBA players in the late 30s, "still going strong", other than Lebron, and he's slowing down. The handful of players still on rosters in their late 30s are generally next to useless. The guys just getting to their late 30s, Chris Paul, PJ Tucker, a few others, are in serious decline.