Author Topic: Is Grant a goner? (Yes: Traded to DAL for second rounders)  (Read 74221 times)

Is Grant a goner? (Yes: Traded to DAL for second rounders)
« on: July 12, 2022, 08:46:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Does the Gallo signing signal that the C’s will be moving on from Grant Williams, as he will be a RFA this time next year? I’d assume he wants to get paid and I’m not sure Grant is worth $10M+ per season. He’s clearly not a suitable long term replacement for Horford and I expect that Al has a few more good seasons in him.

I also think Brogdon is a better option as a backup SF. He’s the same height as Grant and overall more athletic/talented. Gallo can only really play the 4… in an emergency, guess you could put him at the 5, but it’s going to be ugly. Assuming Al plays 20mpg at PF( and 10mpg at C) that doesn’t leave much for Grant and Gallo at PF. I don’t think Danilo signed his two year deal with Boston to be a 3rd string PF and I also don’t think Brad would have used the MLE on a player that wasn’t going to see a good amount of court time.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 07:43:32 PM by Roy H. »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Is Grant a goner?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 08:58:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
feeling pretty confident in saying "no" to the thread title's question

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 09:03:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I doubt it. They probably think Grant and Gallo can share the floor.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 09:15:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Based on what, exactly?
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 09:25:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
G Williams is more valuable to BOS than Gallo. Gallo is a high functioning one-way role player. G Williams is a solid two way role player.

Gallo cannot be used against Kevin Durant or Giannis in a playoff series. They hope he can be used against the likes of Otto Porter in last year's Finals but even that may be too hard for him with the amount of switching GSW forces your defense to do.

What I am saying is - G Williams is for tough matchups. Gallo is for easy matchups. Which means in the playoffs, G Williams will be needed more than Gallo.

They can function some alongside each other more likely at PF and C than SF and PF but both will have some utility. Then they will have alternate value depending on what the matchup dictates. If it is an easy matchup, Gallo's offensive boost offers more value to the team. If it is a hard matchup, we need G Will because Gallo cannot be trusted.

G Will will likely see some less playing time this year but he will still be needed and more needed come playoff time than regular season. Gallo will be more useful in the regular season than the playoffs where matchups get tougher and teams are better at exploiting weak links.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 09:26:50 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
Does the Gallo signing signal that the C’s will be moving on from Grant Williams, as he will be a RFA this time next year?
Why would signing someone at the tail end of his career signal that we are moving on from a young player whose timeline matches our stars?

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 09:41:13 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
G Williams is more valuable to BOS than Gallo. Gallo is a high functioning one-way role player. G Williams is a solid two way role player.

Gallo cannot be used against Kevin Durant or Giannis in a playoff series. They hope he can be used against the likes of Otto Porter in last year's Finals but even that may be too hard for him with the amount of switching GSW forces your defense to do.

What I am saying is - G Williams is for tough matchups. Gallo is for easy matchups. Which means in the playoffs, G Williams will be needed more than Gallo.

They can function some alongside each other more likely at PF and C than SF and PF but both will have some utility. Then they will have alternate value depending on what the matchup dictates. If it is an easy matchup, Gallo's offensive boost offers more value to the team. If it is a hard matchup, we need G Will because Gallo cannot be trusted.

G Will will likely see some less playing time this year but he will still be needed and more needed come playoff time than regular season. Gallo will be more useful in the regular season than the playoffs where matchups get tougher and teams are better at exploiting weak links.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying in terms of the players abilities, however, I don’t think it’s going to work with them being on the court at the same time. Feel like it’s going to be an even worse version of what we saw with Theis and Grant when they played together. The team really needed a better backup C, but Brad chose to use the MLE on a PF instead. doesn’t add up.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 09:57:45 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

Based on what, exactly?
Grant is a key player on this team. They'll be trying to keep him here as long as possible.
He can guard 3 positions. He rebounds. He's an excellent team defender and he can make the 3.
He plays the 5 when they go small.

If he hits the market - and he may - he will get a big contract from someone.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 10:09:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Does the Gallo signing signal that the C’s will be moving on from Grant Williams, as he will be a RFA this time next year?
Why would signing someone at the tail end of his career signal that we are moving on from a young player whose timeline matches our stars?

Because of the salary cap. Gallo is 33, so I’m not sure it’s fair to say he’s at the tail end of his career considering many players are still going strong in their late 30’s. Danilo is making under $7M/year. Grant could command $10M-12M/season. I’m not sure he’s worth that kind of money.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 10:41:41 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 10:50:06 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I’m pretty sure the Celtics value Grant more than Gallo.  He’s upgradable, and is thus tradable, but in no way does Gallo’s one year existence on this roster mean he’ll cause the Celtics to move on from Grant.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 10:56:50 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Because of the salary cap. Gallo is 33, so I’m not sure it’s fair to say he’s at the tail end of his career considering many players are still going strong in their late 30’s. Danilo is making under $7M/year. Grant could command $10M-12M/season. I’m not sure he’s worth that kind of money.

Gallo has a player option.  If he has a good year, he’ll decline it and be an unrestricted free agent the Celtics could only offer $7.8 million to, which would likely be exceeded by other teams. If he has not good year, he’ll pick up the option but clearly be behind Grant in the rotation.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 11:01:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Based on what, exactly?
Grant is a key player on this team. They'll be trying to keep him here as long as possible.
He can guard 3 positions. He rebounds. He's an excellent team defender and he can make the 3.

He will be hitting the open market, as a RFA. I think a team will pay him $10M+/year and I’m
Not sure the C’s would be willing to match.
That’s why I think he could be gone.

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 11:09:14 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171

Based on what, exactly?

He will be hitting the open market, as a RFA. I think a team will pay him $10M+/year and I’m
If Danjy Ainge was in charge, I would agree that Grant would absolutely be gone. I don't think Brad will do that, especially since he has the greenlight right now from Wyc to spend.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 11:17:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Based on what, exactly?
Grant has been mentioned by management that he's viewed as a genuine contributor to the team that they expect to continue to approve.  they like what he brings to the team.   he's likely to be resigned before he ever hit free agency and at an amount both he and the team can live with.  Gallo is not going to make Grant expendable in any way, shape or form

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 11:51:05 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

Based on what, exactly?

I think replacing him would be difficult. I also think that if he hits the market someone comes in and offers him a lot more than $10 per. I'm thinking $14 - $16 which the C's likely would not match.

In addition to his hustle, he's smart so if you lose him, your team defense is going to suffer. This is part of the reason why I think White may not be here next season. He's making too much money for his role - money which would be better spent on Grant.

Fans will realize Grant's value were he to leave. Especially with Horford's age and Al's fragility. You need someone who can eat minutes at the 4/5 without weakening your team.