Author Topic: Trade with the Clippers?  (Read 3411 times)

Re: Trade with the Clippers?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 06:07:59 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
G: J.Wall, R.Jackson
G: N.Powell, T.Mann
F: K.Leonard, L.Kennard
F: P.George, Marcus Morris
C: Zubac, (?)

Rotation looks pretty solid to me. Not sure they need to trade anyone. Should be enough minutes to go around there.

You’re missing that a) they also have Robert Covington, and b) are widely expect to resign Batum at somewhere in the $7-10 million range.

Which furthers the log jam. I think it looks more and more like they have to move Kennard and possibly Morris too. There aren’t enough minutes for all these players.

PG: Jackson, Wall, Mann
SG: Powell, Mann, Kennard, (Wall and Jackson could also see Minutes at the 2 at times)
SF: Kawhi, Covington, Batum, Morris, Coffey
PF: George, Covington, Batum, Morris, Coffey
C: Zubac

Not going to lie, I’m pretty jealous of the amount of depth they have.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 06:09:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Rotation looks pretty solid to me. Not sure they need to trade anyone. Should be enough minutes to go around there.

You’re missing that a) they also have Robert Covington, and b) are widely expect to resign Batum at somewhere in the $7-10 million range.

Which furthers the log jam. I think it looks more and more like they have to move Kennard.

SG: Powell, Mann, Kennard, (Wall and Jackson could also play the 2 at times)
SF: Kawhi, Covington, Morris, Batum, Coffey
PF: George, Covington, Morris, Batum, Coffey

Or keep them all and have amazing depth. I hear some teams do that.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 06:19:01 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Which furthers the log jam. I think it looks more and more like they have to move Kennard.

It’s possible, of course, but sometimes having that much high-priced depth leads to players being upset with their roles.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 06:27:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Which furthers the log jam. I think it looks more and more like they have to move Kennard and possibly Morris too. There aren’t enough minutes for all these players.

SG: Powell, Mann, Kennard, (Wall and Jackson could also see Minutes at the 2 at times)

don't bring Batum back and that saves money and solves some of the logjam issue
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 06:57:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Name one team that is paying $14m/year and $16m/year to two 3rd string players. This is what the LAC would be doing.

Also, Would love to be a a fly on the wall when the coach tells Marcus Morris that he’s going to go from playing 30 mins per game last year to not playing at all as a 3rd stringer this coming season.  Unless of course, there is an injury or a blowout.. Lol. I’m sure that would go over well. Believe it or not, some of the players actually want to play.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 07:57:04 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 08:06:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Ah, Batum. I forgot him. And Hartenstein as backup C.

G: N.Batum, N.Powell, T.Mann
F: P.George, Marcus Morris, R.Covington
C: Zubac, Hartenstein

I will stay with my last guess that they will look to move one of Morris, Covington or Kennard. And that they'll keep Mann as a 3rd string backup to fill in whenever any of the SG, SF or PF players miss playing time which is probably quite often especially since they are counting on the injury-prone Kawhi Leonard.

So I agree, one man to many with one of the bigger wings or forwards on their way out.

I reckon Mann is the most likely to accept being out of the rotation given his youth. Kennard the 2nd most likely. I don't think any of the other older vets will accept not playing. They will be unhappy and cause problems.

That is why I believe Mann will the be guy left out - not because he is the worst of them but because he is the least established and the most likely to accept the demotion and be a fill-in as needed.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2022, 08:08:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
G: N.Batum, N.Powell, T.Mann
F: P.George, Marcus Morris, R.Covington
C: Zubac, Hartenstein

I gotta say that size and length the Clips have 1-4 is very impressive. Two big PGs like Boston. Then real SF level quickness and length 2-4. They get a bit smaller in the bench with Powell or Kennard but they can go bigger with Mann if needed.

Then a big hole plugger in Zubac - a space eater inside. Let those 4 quick long perimeter players do all the running so he doesn't have the move.

Impressive mix.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2022, 08:28:39 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

It would, but supposedly they want to pay a lot to bring him back.  We’ll see in a couple of days I suppose.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2022, 08:33:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Batum may be the best guy to go after from LAC. Steal him in FA rather than trying for a trade.

More well-rounded than Kennard. Less selfish than Morris. Covington's shooting has fallen off in recent times lowering his on-court value.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2022, 08:37:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Maybe we are sleeping on Norm Powell as the guy to go after.

He would be a nice scoring shooting guard to pair with Derrick White. Powell is on the small side but paired with big PGs like Smart & White alongside big wings like Jaylen & Tatum and two big man lineups ... that is a lot of defensive cover for him.

Powell would give us a 3rd scorer. A consistent shooter. Someone who can change up the offense as required. Essentially replace Pritchard in the rotation and give him some extended minutes.

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2022, 08:38:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I would happily take Kennard. Adding the 26 year old, league leader in three point shooting would be huge. And, his defense isn't as bad as some are making it out to be.

teammate of Tatum at Duke too. There's that.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2022, 08:56:28 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Batum may be the best guy to go after from LAC. Steal him in FA rather than trying for a trade.

More well-rounded than Kennard. Less selfish than Morris. Covington's shooting has fallen off in recent times lowering his on-court value.

I don’t really see the value in Batum. He’s pretty garbage offensively, and he’s about to turn 34. Is his defense much better than any of our starters and some of our bench?

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2022, 09:04:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I don’t really see the value in Batum. He’s pretty garbage offensively, and he’s about to turn 34. Is his defense much better than any of our starters and some of our bench?
Better? No.
Is his D good? Yes

Good handles. Good passing. Good but low volume spot up shooting. Good glue-guy. Offers something different than the smaller D White or the bigger / bulkier G Williams.

Not perfect. But good.

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2022, 10:29:53 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I mean, Batum shot 40% from 3pt last year and he’s a better player than Grant Williams is even at 33. Nic is a legit 6’8”/6’9” and can play the 3/4. If it’s for the MLE, that’s a good signing. The C’s currently have no backup SF. It’s a problem.

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2022, 10:38:56 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

It’s moot anyway.  Batum is a free agent and is supposedly getting offers greater than the taxpayer MLE.  Kennard is already under contract and can thus be acquired via the TPE.