Author Topic: Celtics vs Golden State since 2014-15  (Read 2371 times)

Celtics vs Golden State since 2014-15
« on: May 27, 2022, 11:21:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thought it might be interesting to view how the Celtics have played the Golden State Warriors ever since 2014-15, the year Golden State won their first title in this Warrior run. 2014-15 was also the year Boston started putting together it's current team as it was Marcus Smart's rookie year.

01/25/15 GSW 114-111. Loss
03/01/15 GSW 106-101. Loss
12/11/15 GSW 124-119. Loss 2OT
04/01/16 BOS 109-106. Win
11/18/16 GSW 104-88. Loss
03/18/17 BOS 99-86. Win
11/16/17 BOS 92-88. Win
01/27/18 GSW 109-105. Loss
01/26/19 GSW 115-111. Loss
03/05/19 BOS 126-95. Win
11/15/19 BOS 105-100. Win
01/30/20 BOS 119-104. Win
02/02/21 BOS 111-107. Win
04/17/21 BOS 119-114. Win
12/17/21 GSW 111-107 Loss
03/16/22 BOS 110-88. Win.

In 16 games during GSWs run since their first title, a time where the Warriors have been the most dominant team in the league and having a ridiculous home record of 291-90, including playoffs, the Celtics have a 9-6 record vs the Warriors, winning 7 if their last 10 games.

Of the 16 games, 11 of those games were decided by a 3 to 5 point margin. Of the remaining 5 games, Boston won by double digits 4 times. GSW once.

It certainly seems the likelihood of a very close series is inevitable. If any team can beat these Warriors, I think it's this Celtics team.

Re: Celtics vs Golden State since 2014-15
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 12:19:36 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
The greatest ESPN infographic of all time, from after the C's snapped the Warriors home winning streak during their 73 win season.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 12:31:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Boston makes it to GS, I absolutely expect Boston to win.  They match-up very well against the Warriors who I don't think have the size to deal with Rob and Al, and if they don't put Draymond on Tatum, Tatum should have a field day.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 12:40:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If Boston makes it to GS, I absolutely expect Boston to win.  They match-up very well against the Warriors who I don't think have the size to deal with Rob and Al, and if they don't put Draymond on Tatum, Tatum should have a field day.

You're more confident than I am lol, even though I agree we have a huge advantage in the frontcourt.

But first I want to watch us actually clinch a spot before delving deeper.

If they lose tonight then boy this thread will get shredded  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 12:43:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Why can't Wiggins defend Tatum?

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

I feel like Thompson could defend Tatum pretty well, but maybe I'm wrong?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 01:30:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm sure he will try, I just don't think he will be successful. 

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 01:31:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

The thing is, Wiggins has actually been a better defender lately. Definitely better on that end from a few years ago. He might not lock down Tatum or Brown completely but he could be able to neutralize one which would still help Golden State.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 01:33:20 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The Celtics were built to stop the Golden State Warriors. It's time to put that to the test.

And we've had the better end of dominating them whether in the Garden or esp in San Francisco

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 01:36:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The thing is, Wiggins has actually been a better defender lately. Definitely better on that end from a few years ago. He might not lock down Tatum or Brown completely but he could be able to neutralize one which would still help Golden State.
I don't think he has the strength to handle Tatum.  Tatum is a different size, speed, and athleticism than just about everyone else in the league.  I don't think Wiggins can physically handle him. 

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 01:42:45 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don't think he has the strength to handle Tatum.  Tatum is a different size, speed, and athleticism than just about everyone else in the league.  I don't think Wiggins can physically handle him.

Strength isn't really Tatum's game. He uses it to finish through contact near the rim, but he's not just gonna bully Wiggins on the perimeter. Especially if the shoulder is bothering him.

I mean don't get me wrong Tatum will score on him, because he's really good, but I think Wiggins is absolutely a good matchup physically with tatum.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 02:55:29 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
The 7-3 is even more relevant, as it includes Smart, Brown, Tatum.

We match up with them well. Smart and AB used to give them trouble with their perimeter D. With White, Smart, and the J's, we have the perimeter D to frustrate them far beyond anything they've faced in the playoffs so far.

I'm as confident as I can be that we can beat GSW. When your opponent has a stud the caliber of Steph Curry, he can override matchups and anything else you have to your advantage and beat you because he's just that good. But him having an epic series aside, I think we win.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 03:16:04 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Wiggins is probably a bit more athletic than Tatum, and almost as big. Tatum can, should, and probably needs to win the matchup.

Golden State will have a bigger problem with Brown. Thompson just isn't the same guy he was a few years ago.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
With our defense making it increasingly tough for the Warriors to execute their preferred offense. Forcing them to play an inefficient isolation offense against a seamless switching defense from above average to elite defenders that can defend 1-5 well.

Our offense driving and kicking to shooters, using both sides of the court, punishing mismatches, and strategically using it to wear opponents’ down on offense.

This team will have a week to recover and be battle-tested/confident after winning the East. Respect to GSW, they are Champions; the Boston Celtics are the best team this season. We will have GSW’s offense looking like Miami’s by G5 and win the Championship.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 05:15:30 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I can’t believe we are actually discussing this right now.  Asking for so much trouble.  Just last round, the Celtics were left for dead after game 5 and won 2 in a row to win it
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05:44:18 PM by greg683x »
Greg