Author Topic: Did we mis-use smart? Or has he just matured  (Read 435 times)

Did we mis-use smart? Or has he just matured
« on: May 26, 2022, 05:49:47 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Smart this year is almost like a different player. He always was a good defender but seems to have upped his game.

But I have to wonder, was that game always there? And we just had him in the incorrect role as a 3 and D shooting guard off the bench.

This year running the point it's like why were we going constantly with the likes of kemba etc. Who were undersized and defensive liabilities if Smart can run the offense and is actually a really good passer.

Re: Did we mis-use smart? Or has he just matured
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 06:04:22 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Agreed

Marcus stayed a second year at Okla St to work on his point guard skills, because the experts were projecting that his fit at the NBA level was at point guard.  He has worked hard over the years to develop his play making skills - pretty sure he was not a nature point guard coming up the ranks as a teenager.

Yes the height challenged guards we have had - Isaiah, Cryie, and Kemba - drove me nuts. Nothing personal against them, but I was never impressed when they went off for 35 or 40 points.  My attitude was always "They had better go for 38, every night, to make up for what they were giving up at the other end" - they were always especially targeted in the playoffs.  As the #1 star of any NBA team, Isaiah was never going to take a team all the way to a championship.

Yes Marcus is a big improvement over those three.