0 (0%)
Butler
5 (12.5%)
Bam
0 (0%)
Oladipo
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Who has been the ECF MVP so far?  (Read 4381 times)

Who has been the ECF MVP so far?
« on: May 26, 2022, 10:30:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Here are the series stats:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2022-nba-eastern-conference-finals-celtics-vs-heat.html

Obviously, there's still a story to be written here in Game 6, and perhaps Game 7.

But who do you have for the Celtics?  Who is Miami's leading contender so far?

Interestingly -- but not surprisingly for those who have watched -- Horford might be having the biggest impact of the series.  But, for Celtics, voters are going to give it to JT or JB, right?

As for Miami, Butler is the leading contender if they turn it around, but right now nobody on that team deserves it.

I think I give it to Jaylen as of right now.  He's scoring more, shooting better, and has had fewer turnovers.  But, if this were a "real" MVP award, rather than best stats, I'd give it to Al.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 10:35:19 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Who has been the ECF MVP so far?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 10:33:38 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Right now, I say Jaylen for the C's since he's averaging 25 PPG and has had a 40-point effort. Only the 2nd guy with 40+ points this series (the other being Butler in Game 1).

Miami, it's hard to say. Tbh I don't think any one player has had more than 1 good game lol. Butler Game 1, Bam Game 3, and then besides that a lot of mediocre performances collectively. I think I'd still lean Butler. The stats obviously won't reflect it but Oladipo I think could have a case with how he's played since the start of Game 3.

EDIT: Actually, maybe Bam still has a case. He had 18/10 yesterday, and he's averaging 15/8 for the series
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 10:33:42 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Horford

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 10:36:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jaylen. 

The Heat?  Whoever steps up if they win Games 6 & 7. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 10:36:23 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I’d definitely pick Horford for the inaugural Larry Bird trophy, although if Tatum or Brown go off for 40+ in a clincher tomorrow they could jump out in front.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 10:36:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2022-nba-eastern-conference-finals-celtics-vs-heat.html

Obviously, there's still a story to be written here in Game 6, and perhaps Game 7.

Interestingly -- but not surprisingly for those who have watched -- Horford might be having the biggest impact of the series.  But, for Celtics, voters are going to give it to JT or JB, right?

As for Miami, Butler is the leading contender if they turn it around, but right now nobody on that team deserves it.

Jaylen is having the better series... just those turnovers have been brutal.

A thing can be said on the defensive side, with Rob in particular in this series, but he has played too few minutes. But his impact has been great. When he's on the floor, Adebayo is a ghost... and Horford has done his part except for that one game when Adebayo went off.

But in the end, this has been Jaylen's series, warts and all... and how infuriating he can be with his handles.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 10:37:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brown.

What? You were expecting something different?

Seriously though. Tatum gets it. He's the guy Mickey Mouse wants to push for ratings.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 10:40:52 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I think I give it to Jaylen as of right now.  He's scoring more, shooting better, and has had fewer turnovers.  But, if this were a "real" MVP award, rather than best stats, I'd give it to Al.

I had to check that to see that Jaylen has turned the ball over less than Tatum because Jaylen has felt like a walking turnover in a few of these games.  Good to see I was wrong looking at the picture.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 10:42:13 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
See I was thinking Horford as well but the way these kinds of things goes, I think PPG matters and Horford is averaging just 13 points a game this series. He also missed a game which might factor in.

Timelord in theory feels like the real MVP based on his impact but he hasn't played much either. But you can tell what kind of difference he makes for each team when he plays or doesn't.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 10:42:27 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
I think whoever gets it should share it with Rob.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 10:44:36 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
It’s Tatum. He draws by far the most attention from the defense, and his numbers have be understood in that context.

When his shot doesn’t fall he’s found other ways to make an impact - 12 boards and 9 assists last night - and would have more assists if people weren’t flinging so many bricks. And he was solid - as ever - on defense, playing 45 minutes(!) He took us home down the stretch too - handling the ball, scoring and getting to the line to keep Miami at arm’s length.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Jaylen is having the better series... just those turnovers have been brutal.

A thing can be said on the defensive side, with Rob in particular in this series, but he has played too few minutes. But his impact has been great. When he's on the floor, Adebayo is a ghost... and Horford has done his part except for that one game when Adebayo went off.

But in the end, this has been Jaylen's series, warts and all... and how infuriating he can be with his handles.

JB has less turnovers than JT.  JB is averaging 3 TOV per gam, while JT is closer to 5.  JB has a higher FG%, higher 3PT%, and PPG.  I lean toward him.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 10:50:05 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Brown.

What? You were expecting something different?

Seriously though. Tatum gets it. He's the guy Mickey Mouse wants to push for ratings.

Gotta sell those spicy tater chips

Tatum will get the Bird Award if the Celts win. 

But the beauty of the Celts (and sometimes infuriating thing) is that that the stars don’t lead the team to series wins without the supporting cast.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 11:00:36 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
See I was thinking Horford as well but the way these kinds of things goes, I think PPG matters and Horford is averaging just 13 points a game this series. He also missed a game which might factor in.

I think missing a game could factor in positively for Al, considering that was the Celtics worse loss of the series so far.  Helps show how valuable he really is.

One thing I hope for this award is that it doesn't just become redundant for the Finals winner, where we constantly get things like Tatum ECF MVP, Tatum Finals MVP.  And looking back, it feels like that would have happened a lot had this award been around longer.

So I hope the voters take the chance to recognize some other players (especially when it's not completely obvious who should win the award).

Baseball does this pretty well, as the LCS MVP and World Series MVP share a winner only like 10%-20% of the time.  (Different sport for sure and harder for 1 individual to dominate there though.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 11:08:06 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2022, 11:00:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just looked at the stats. Brown 3.0 TOs/game. Tatum 4.8. Tatum with an 18.8% TO%.  Brown at just 12.5% with a usage% almost exactly that as Tatum, around 30%.

But the story here and with The Mouse networks is Jaylen's turnover issue. Not Tatum's.