Poll

Was Ainge correct in not trading the Celtics youth for superstars?

Yes
38 (95%)
No
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Poll: If C's win title, does that make Danny right about not trading youth?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I would intent to say yes, especially given most of the players rumored to be targets have played for multiple teams since then (butler, George, Leonard) only Davis stayed wheee he was traded and he clearly wanted to be in LA.

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
So interesting side question. If the current core drafted group win a title or three, given Ainge's work in putting that core together, does it cement his inclusion into the Hall of Fame as an NBA team executive? Being directly responsible for multiple titles with the same franchise, but by building two completely different teams in different eras has to get him inducted, right?

YES

His #44 should be retired by the Celtics then?

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
My gripe with Ainge was the opposite. He managed to get Tatum and Brown and then kept trying to hedge his bets, rather than put all his chips in with building around them.

Agree.

And I don't think a title vindicates Ainge at all. This wasn't his plan, that was a Irving/Hayward/Horford/Anthony Davis superteam. And then Hayward broke his ankle and everything changed. The Jays are the contingency plan.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My gripe with Ainge was the opposite. He managed to get Tatum and Brown and then kept trying to hedge his bets, rather than put all his chips in with building around them.

Agree.

And I don't think a title vindicates Ainge at all. This wasn't his plan, that was a Irving/Hayward/Horford/Anthony Davis superteam. And then Hayward broke his ankle and everything changed. The Jays are the contingency plan.

It’s a heck of a Plan B.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Agree.

Would Tatum have been part of that plan? I think he was pretty darn high on Tatum

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
The problem in today's NBA with trading youth for superstars is when said superstars decide they don't like (pick one):
Your city
The coach*
Their new teammates
The weather
Fans being too mean to them
Their wife/girlfriend complaining about the new city
etc

Then the star moves on and you're screwed because you mortgaged your future to 'go for it' now.
See Philly/Brooklyn/Clippers etc.

The asterisk* for the coach is because they'll fire a coach to appease the superstar but if he's just an unhappy guy it doesn't matter who's coaching.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
The thing is that Tatum and Brown seem to genuinely like being Celtics and certainly hiring a coach who could successfully motivate them was a terrific call - by the former coach. If Ainge had stuck around, things may have gotten interesting as far as what would have happened to Brad.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
The problem in today's NBA with trading youth for superstars is when said superstars decide they don't like (pick one):
Your city
The coach*
Their new teammates
The weather
Fans being too mean to them
Their wife/girlfriend complaining about the new city
etc

Then the star moves on and you're screwed because you mortgaged your future to 'go for it' now.
See Philly/Brooklyn/Clippers etc.

The asterisk* for the coach is because they'll fire a coach to appease the superstar but if he's just an unhappy guy it doesn't matter who's coaching.

Or their family don't like the team their superstar son is going to bcuz of "loyalty" issues

Coughs Anthony Davis coughs

Who cares tho, Timelord is waaaay better than AD3  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

There was a time when I would have been okay moving Jaylen for the right piece, even a healthy Boogie Cousins.  But, there's no guarantee we would have won squat, and the players we're talking about seem to have a wandering eye for other franchises. 

Man I was on the Boogie train too. I thought he had the right skill set to be relevant as the NBA moved towards its current state. Who knows, but given his injury woes, it is good we never pulled the trigger on that move.

Yeah, he became a completely different player after his multiple injuries.  He broke down quickly.

But, back in the day the man was averaging 27 / 11 / 5 with almost two steals and two blocks, on good (not great) efficiency and 36% 3PT shooting.
Boogie walked so the Joker could run
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

There was a time when I would have been okay moving Jaylen for the right piece, even a healthy Boogie Cousins.  But, there's no guarantee we would have won squat, and the players we're talking about seem to have a wandering eye for other franchises. 

Man I was on the Boogie train too. I thought he had the right skill set to be relevant as the NBA moved towards its current state. Who knows, but given his injury woes, it is good we never pulled the trigger on that move.

Yeah, he became a completely different player after his multiple injuries.  He broke down quickly.

But, back in the day the man was averaging 27 / 11 / 5 with almost two steals and two blocks, on good (not great) efficiency and 36% 3PT shooting.

Man if only his knee didn't give out. He was a great partner in crime to AD.

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
At this point, I would say he was right not to trade them.

Yeah, I’m already there too. We’re one win away from the Finals with a young, homegrown core of fun and likable players. I’m not sure we need to even win a title for me to prefer this outcome given that there’s no guarantee we could have won a title with any of the rumored trade targets.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
It’s amazing just how well all of his draft picks are doing. He built a strong team and hit on the majority of picks. Simply amazing team building.

What are guys like Felger going to say ? After crapping on the entire roster. Hahaha

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

Agree.

Vindicates ? Contingency? He’s drafted two legit stars and a supporting cast that is outstanding with the stars. He set this team up for gold. Even within their youth, they made eastern conference final appearances.

Incredible. And guys like Grant, Robert Williams, Pritchard, & Nesmith haven’t even sniffed their potential. Those youngsters along with picks like Smart, Tatum, and Brown are deadly.

Home run draft picks. Just amazing team-building

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
So interesting side question. If the current core drafted group win a title or three, given Ainge's work in putting that core together, does it cement his inclusion into the Hall of Fame as an NBA team executive? Being directly responsible for multiple titles with the same franchise, but by building two completely different teams in different eras has to get him inducted, right?

YES

His #44 should be retired by the Celtics then?

It should already be up there regardless. Wyc knows.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Honestly, the mere fact that were in a plan B and doing this good is great. How many teams went all in on their Plan A and either failed or couldnt make it happen? They just got worse because they dont have a plan B.

That's the thing Danny did well. Making moves while leaving room for backups.