20 (42.6%)
Nah, Heat in 5
0 (0%)
Nah, Heat in 6
0 (0%)
Nah, Heat in 7
7 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Down 2-1, Do You Believe?  (Read 9588 times)

Re: Down 2-1, Do You Believe?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2022, 10:59:39 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I'm sticking with Celtics in 6.

This team is two absolutely disastrous quarters from being up 3-0. All they have to do is take care of the ball and they'll win the next 3 no problem.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 04:25:12 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2022, 01:24:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We all expect the Celtics to win tonight. If they don't, it will be a stunning loss. If we don't win this series against the Heat, it will be on Tatum and Brown's wildly inconsistent play.
Except that during these playoffs Jaylen Brown has been wildly consistent. He has had some bad quarters, but at the end of the night, his numbers have been remarkably consistent.

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2022, 03:33:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The team that wins tonight will win the series.

I feel the same way
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2022, 03:57:08 PM »

Online Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
We all expect the Celtics to win tonight. If they don't, it will be a stunning loss. If we don't win this series against the Heat, it will be on Tatum and Brown's wildly inconsistent play.
When the Heat beat us in 2020, it seemed to have a devastating effect on both the team's and the fan's psyche.  The team played a year and a half of uninspired basketball until this December. I fear what might happen to the team and the fanbase if we lose this series in anything less than a heroic game 7 way.

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2022, 04:28:17 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I believe I suppose.  Regardless of what happens, after the game 1 3rd quarter and all of last game my excitement for this team has been greatly diminished this season.  I really thought we were destined for greatness this year and it’s become pretty apparent that we’re just not ready yet.

Championship teams just don’t consistently give away games they should win.  It’s not a fluke, we did it against the Bucks and now we’re doing it against the Heat.  Whether me make it the finals or not, this won’t fly against Golden State
Greg

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2022, 04:36:30 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
I believe I suppose.  Regardless of what happens, after the game 1 3rd quarter and all of last game my excitement for this team has been greatly diminished this season.  I really thought we were destined for greatness this year and it’s become pretty apparent that we’re just not ready yet.

Championship teams just don’t consistently give away games they should win.  It’s not a fluke, we did it against the Bucks and now we’re doing it against the Heat.  Whether me make it the finals or not, this won’t fly against Golden State

Been thinking along those lines since Sat. We tempt fate too often and GS will not be as forgiving as MKE or the Heat.
The talent is there, the BB IQ hasn't matured yet for the team as a whole.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2022, 04:40:53 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Been thinking along those lines since Sat. We tempt fate too often and GS will not be as forgiving as MKE or the Heat.
The talent is there, the BB IQ hasn't matured yet for the team as a whole.

True… then again they should’ve won the Milwaukee series 6 games to 1.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2022, 04:58:39 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

It's interesting... Looking at your first paragraph, I felt the same exact way when the 2008 Celtics could not easily close out Atlanta and then felt that way again when Cleveland took us to 7 games.  I have no idea if history will repeat itself here, but it can be done.

I too have soured on the Celts lately, with the way they have played this round.  For some reason, I felt a lot more confident playing the Heat than the Bucks, but it seems like we are constantly shooting ourselves in the foot and it is very disheartening.  I hope we can respond tonight the way we have thusfar, but I just can't get too optimistic.

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2022, 05:28:39 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

It's interesting... Looking at your first paragraph, I felt the same exact way when the 2008 Celtics could not easily close out Atlanta and then felt that way again when Cleveland took us to 7 games.  I have no idea if history will repeat itself here, but it can be done.

I too have soured on the Celts lately, with the way they have played this round.  For some reason, I felt a lot more confident playing the Heat than the Bucks, but it seems like we are constantly shooting ourselves in the foot and it is very disheartening.  I hope we can respond tonight the way we have thusfar, but I just can't get too optimistic.

The difference between 2008 and this team. 2008 they blew out the Hawks at home each game. They came narrowly close in winning at Atlanta. Home teams doing their job defending home-court. The Pistons series? They knock us at the Garden, we go steal one at the Palace. Finals against LA? It was a 2-3-2 format and losing more than one road game would've been costly. Glad the C's took Game 4 in LA.

But this C's team isn't playing with a sense of urgency. They can't seem to win with ease at home. They play better on the road surprisingly, but maybe it's their mentality of playing with their backs against the wall. That's...not a healthy team trying to contend for championships.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2022, 05:51:41 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

The difference between 2008 and this team. 2008 they blew out the Hawks at home each game. They came narrowly close in winning at Atlanta. Home teams doing their job defending home-court. The Pistons series? They knock us at the Garden, we go steal one at the Palace. Finals against LA? It was a 2-3-2 format and losing more than one road game would've been costly. Glad the C's took Game 4 in LA.

But this C's team isn't playing with a sense of urgency. They can't seem to win with ease at home. They play better on the road surprisingly, but maybe it's their mentality of playing with their backs against the wall. That's...not a healthy team trying to contend for championships.

The 2008 team was a team playing together in the playoffs for the first time and learning to win on the road together. When they lost turnovers and fundamentals never seemed to be a problem from what I remembered. 

This team is showing a different problem if you ask me.  Most of these guys have been playing together for a while now and we’ve seen them win on the road in intense environments. 
Greg

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2022, 11:06:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Step 1 complete. On to Game 5!  8)

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2022, 05:32:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Except that during these playoffs Jaylen Brown has been wildly consistent. He has had some bad quarters, but at the end of the night, his numbers have been remarkably consistent.
Brown's point totals for each playoff game:

23, 22, 23, 22, 12, 30, 27, 18, 26, 22, 19, 24, 24, 40, 12. Average 22.9.

A couple of 12-pointers and a couple of big ones but otherwise he's been a 22-23 point rock.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2022, 10:51:24 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

And Step 2 complete. On to Game 6!  8)

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

And Step 2 complete. On to Game 6!  8)
Let's get Al Horford PAID!

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2022, 11:23:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah I'm not sure anymore. What a choke tonight... (and screw the refs too)  :(