Author Topic: Nike Fed Up With Kyrie?  (Read 1248 times)

Nike Fed Up With Kyrie?
« on: May 14, 2022, 02:40:01 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Kyrie Irving’s signature Nike shoes could come to an end in 2023.

The Australia-born hooper’s recent uncertainty as an NBA athlete has, according to sources contributing to ESPN, made Nike reconsider its signature sneaker partnership with him.

Since 2014, the Nike Kyrie series (currently in its eighth installment) has been one of the most popular and profitable signature athlete efforts for the Swoosh. The Nike Kyrie 9 is still scheduled to debut in the fall, but there’s speculation that it will be the final model made under the original partnership between Irving and the sportswear behemoth.

Irving’s consistent time off the hardwood has made marketing the Kyrie 7 and Kyrie Infinity (“8” on its side) a struggle. Additionally, the 30-year-old’s stubbornness around the COVID-19 vaccine throughout much of the last two years has only amplified the guard’s reputation of being difficult to work with. (Ahead of the current Nike Kyrie sneaker’s launch, the Brooklyn Net took to Instagram to call the silhouette “trash,” claiming he had no design or marketing input, and that the brand was planning on launching the shoe without his co-sign.)

In a statement provided to ESPN, a Nike spokesperson didn’t deny the ending of the Kyrie Irving signature shoe line, sharing instead: “We don’t comment on contracts or rumors or speculation. Kyrie remains a Nike athlete.”

Only time will tell what Irving and the Swoosh decide to do, though it’s probable Nike continues to offer product (i.e. re-issues of old pairs) associated with the “Uncle Drew”-creator. Talent the likes of Ja Morant have emerged as box office draws over the last two years, which surely have the Oregon-based conglomerate thinking.

—————————

Source: ESPN
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Nike Fed Up With Kyrie?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 02:55:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Kyrie Irving’s signature Nike shoes could come to an end in 2023.

The Australia-born hooper’s recent uncertainty as an NBA athlete has, according to sources contributing to ESPN, made Nike reconsider its signature sneaker partnership with him.

Since 2014, the Nike Kyrie series (currently in its eighth installment) has been one of the most popular and profitable signature athlete efforts for the Swoosh. The Nike Kyrie 9 is still scheduled to debut in the fall, but there’s speculation that it will be the final model made under the original partnership between Irving and the sportswear behemoth.

Irving’s consistent time off the hardwood has made marketing the Kyrie 7 and Kyrie Infinity (“8” on its side) a struggle. Additionally, the 30-year-old’s stubbornness around the COVID-19 vaccine throughout much of the last two years has only amplified the guard’s reputation of being difficult to work with. (Ahead of the current Nike Kyrie sneaker’s launch, the Brooklyn Net took to Instagram to call the silhouette “trash,” claiming he had no design or marketing input, and that the brand was planning on launching the shoe without his co-sign.)

In a statement provided to ESPN, a Nike spokesperson didn’t deny the ending of the Kyrie Irving signature shoe line, sharing instead: “We don’t comment on contracts or rumors or speculation. Kyrie remains a Nike athlete.”

Only time will tell what Irving and the Swoosh decide to do, though it’s probable Nike continues to offer product (i.e. re-issues of old pairs) associated with the “Uncle Drew”-creator. Talent the likes of Ja Morant have emerged as box office draws over the last two years, which surely have the Oregon-based conglomerate thinking.

—————————

Source: ESPN

Yeah I shared this in the around the nba thread, and also the fact that Kyrie was on a live stream the other nights making fun of fans that try to troll him, talking about only fans and masterbation. This is reminding me a lot of the end of Marbury's time in the NBA. UNHINGED.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 03:00:51 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I wouldn't be surprised if Kyrie signed a 250M extension and then basically just decided to not care the rest of the way. Just "play out" that contract but along the way take breaks, clash with the media/fans, etc. Remember, even in 2021 the dude basically took time off for "personal reasons" which included attending some birthday party lol.

But even then, the Nets probably won't have much of a choice given the nature of contracts. I mean Ben Simmons lost some money but he's still getting paid a good amount from his contract, and who knows maybe he can still get 20M from the grievance he filed.

I wonder what BKN does. They'll probably force him to make a decision on his player option or FA, and if he takes the player option I wonder if they offer him an extension less than 5 years, and would he take it?

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I wouldn't be surprised if Kyrie signed a 250M extension and then basically just decided to not care the rest of the way. Just "play out" that contract but along the way take breaks, clash with the media/fans, etc. Remember, even in 2021 the dude basically took time off for "personal reasons" which included attending some birthday party lol.

But even then, the Nets probably won't have much of a choice given the nature of contracts. I mean Ben Simmons lost some money but he's still getting paid a good amount from his contract, and who knows maybe he can still get 20M from the grievance he filed.

I wonder what BKN does. They'll probably force him to make a decision on his player option or FA, and if he takes the player option I wonder if they offer him an extension less than 5 years, and would he take it?

Sean Marks recent comments makes it seem like he is unlikely to extend a big offer to Irving right now.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 04:24:30 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Sean Marks recent comments makes it seem like he is unlikely to extend a big offer to Irving right now.

It would be interesting to know exactly how KD feels about Kyrie.  The big 3 experiment failed big time with KD, Harden, Kyrie.  Harden has fallen off a cliff a bit playing with Philly, so maybe the Nets made the right move.  But you won't know until Ben Simmons actually plays, and who knows when that will be.  I don't see Marks going on in on Kyrie after Kyrie's season, and the nets getting swept in the 1st round.  Why repeat the same mistake?  Either trade Kyrie, or let him walk after he opts in.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 04:25:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Nets are fed up with Kyrie.
The Cavs are fed up with Kyrie.
The Celtics are fed up with Kyrie.
The NBA is fed up with Kyrie.
Harden is fed up with Kyrie.
The city of New York is fed up with Kyrie.
Some of Kyrie's teammates are fed up with Kyrie.
Lots of Nets fans are fed up with Kyrie.
Boston fans are fed up with Kyrie.
Cavs fans are fed up with Kyrie.
The press is fed up with Kyrie.
The "round" world is fed up with Kyrie.
Sage is fed up with Kyrie.
Covid is fed up with Kyrie.
Lucky the Leprechaun in the logo is fed up with Kyrie.

The Swoosh can get in line behind all the others that are fed up with Kyrie.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 06:09:57 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
The Nets are fed up with Kyrie.
The Cavs are fed up with Kyrie.
The Celtics are fed up with Kyrie.
The NBA is fed up with Kyrie.
Harden is fed up with Kyrie.
The city of New York is fed up with Kyrie.
Some of Kyrie's teammates are fed up with Kyrie.
Lots of Nets fans are fed up with Kyrie.
Boston fans are fed up with Kyrie.
Cavs fans are fed up with Kyrie.
The press is fed up with Kyrie.
The "round" world is fed up with Kyrie.
Sage is fed up with Kyrie.
Covid is fed up with Kyrie.
Lucky the Leprechaun in the logo is fed up with Kyrie.

The Swoosh can get in line behind all the others that are fed up with Kyrie.

That’s a lot of enemies  :P

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 06:16:59 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Just because Kyrie is one of the only guys who DOES let fans and media bother him so much, AHAHAHAHA!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 06:22:25 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
If The nets could just have the foresight to say this is not worth even keeping Kevin Durant. Id love them to go public and say “ we hope he would like to rest free agency. We want to go in a different direction. “  Let KD force a trade. Reboot with … something. Nobody is winning a world title with Kyrie Irving in the team. Cmon.