Author Topic: Marks/Brooklyn Seem to Be Questionable About Commitment to Kyrie  (Read 3393 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
https://twitter.com/snynets/status/1524424456512364547?s=21&t=IxSe5-r4suBVvpaGpIyq0Q

"He has some decisions to make on his own. We're looking for guys that want to be something bigger than themselves, play team basketball, and be available. That goes for Kyrie and everybody here."

Very interesting response here. Not surprising that after last year they’re frustrated with him, but I’m surprised that Marks approached it like this taking a not-so-subtle shot at Kyrie’s commitment to the game and availability.

Re: Marks/Brooklyn Seem to Be Questionable About Commitment to Kyrie
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 01:12:20 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Any team wants that headache..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 01:13:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Good for Marks.  I'd love it if they offered him a fully non-guaranteed contract, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 01:30:28 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10035550-nets-sean-marks-on-kyrie-irving-were-looking-for-guys-that-want-to-be-available

Another link discussing the story.
"When I say I'm here with [Kevin Durant], I think that it really entails us managing this franchise together alongside Joe [Tsai, the owner] and Sean [Marks, the GM] and just our group of family members that we have in our organization," said Irving

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 01:30:54 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd be very hesitant to give Kyrie 250M. I mean people seem to be forgetting, but even during the 2021 season Kyrie legit took "time off" for no apparent reason ("personal reasons" which apparently included attending a birthday party too).

The Nets are going to be a circus with Kyrie + Simmons next season and potentially beyond lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 01:32:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'd be very hesitant to give Kyrie 250M. I mean people seem to be forgetting, but even during the 2021 season Kyrie legit took "time off" for no apparent reason ("personal reasons" which apparently included attending a birthday party too).

The Nets are going to be a circus with Kyrie + Simmons next season and potentially beyond lol

Yeah.  The dude could sign the contract, and then sit out the next five years with phantom pain.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 01:51:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Kyrie has a player option for next season at about $36M plus some incentives.  That is the decision he needs to make on his own.  I think what BNK told him is we are not extending you.  Pick up your option or become a FA.

I don't think Kyrie would get a big contract on the open market if he decides to go that route.  How many teams could absorb a supermax contract or whatever type of max contract it would be (something north of $36M though)?  I don't think Kyrie wants to go to Orlando or Detroit.

If he wants another big contract, he is going to have to make peace with BKN.  Or I guess he could pick up the final year and then force a trade (actually a win for BKN).  Not sure what other options that he has.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 01:58:36 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
https://twitter.com/snynets/status/1524424456512364547?s=21&t=IxSe5-r4suBVvpaGpIyq0Q

"He has some decisions to make on his own. We're looking for guys that want to be something bigger than themselves, play team basketball, and be available. That goes for Kyrie and everybody here."

Very interesting response here. Not surprising that after last year they’re frustrated with him, but I’m surprised that Marks approached it like this taking a not-so-subtle shot at Kyrie’s commitment to the game and availability.

Says the guy who signed Kyrie, and then just this year traded for Ben Simmons. This quote is absurd.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 02:00:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Kyrie has a player option for next season at about $36M plus some incentives.  That is the decision he needs to make on his own.  I think what BNK told him is we are not extending you.  Pick up your option or become a FA.

I don't think Kyrie would get a big contract on the open market if he decides to go that route.  How many teams could absorb a supermax contract or whatever type of max contract it would be (something north of $36M though)?  I don't think Kyrie wants to go to Orlando or Detroit.

If he wants another big contract, he is going to have to make peace with BKN.  Or I guess he could pick up the final year and then force a trade (actually a win for BKN).  Not sure what other options that he has.

If Kyrie opted out, I'm sure some franchise would take a gamble on him.  Could Pat Riley create cap room? 

Franchises always seem willing to gamble on talent.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 02:03:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah.  The dude could sign the contract, and then sit out the next five years with phantom pain.

Yep that's what I do!  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 02:18:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If Kyrie opted out, I'm sure some franchise would take a gamble on him.  Could Pat Riley create cap room? 

And there is always the option of a sign-and-trade. I realize that if BKN doesn't offer Kyrie a max, then the relationship becomes tenuous at best, but both sides would still have something to gain by going this route. In your Heat example, would a Kyrie for Lowry deal be plausible for both sides?

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 02:31:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

And there is always the option of a sign-and-trade. I realize that if BKN doesn't offer Kyrie a max, then the relationship becomes tenuous at best, but both sides would still have something to gain by going this route. In your Heat example, would a Kyrie for Lowry deal be plausible for both sides?

Yeah, Kyrie could probably leverage his free agency.  "Sign and trade me to Miami, or I'm signing with Minnesota (which has a deal lined up to dump D'Angelo Russell)"

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 02:38:34 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Be a great back up for Pritchard.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 02:41:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
That Nets team is so smart hiring those flat earthers ,  real leaders !

Must be nice to have players like Kyrie willing to put in the work and help make those critical decisions.