Author Topic: chances we win in 2020 if Horford was re-signed?  (Read 2838 times)

chances we win in 2020 if Horford was re-signed?
« on: May 10, 2022, 10:24:13 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
We were two games away from the finals that year, and I just think Horford would have made a much bigger difference in those playoffs than Kemba, especially against teams like Miami and Toronto. And could have potentially been huge in a finals matchup against Anthony Davis and the Lakers.

Letting Horford walk and signing Kemba was a colossal mistake by Danny Ainge. I understand he didn't want to overpay him at the time, but he doesn't seem over paid now, does he?

Re: chances we win in 2020 if Horford was re-signed?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 10:26:14 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Also, I understand Horford had one of the worst years of his career in 2020, but he was so underutilized on the Sixers, and im willing to bet would have been more motivated playing with a bigger role in Boston

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 10:28:54 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Idk I think Al was worn out at that point. He really needed a year or two to recuperate from the wear and tear.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 10:35:39 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Al said if he'd known Kemba was signing with us, he would have come back.

Man, Kyrie is such an ass. Ruined everything.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 10:36:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
If we're assuming Horford's in, Kemba's out, I think we'd have a better chance but idk. Because tbh it wasn't like we were flourishing at the guard position either. Guys like Pritchard, White, etc. weren't there in 2020 I think it was Wanamaker, Edwards and Waters lol.

Yeah now if this were the case, I think they'd reach the Finals and have a real chance in 2020. Screw Cryrie

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 10:42:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I've also been posting about this lately, so I think it is a good thread. Yes, I think we win in 2020 with Al on our team. We were starting Theis and playing Enes actual rotation minutes off the bench. I actually really like what Theis gave us throughout those playoffs, but it would have been a lot easier to bang with Bam if we had Al.

I really do like Al and am happy he is back here; however, not only did he leave us for our rival, but his departure kind-of screwed our front court rotation. It would have been so sweet taking down the Lakers in 2020, but Al felt the need to go to Philly for some reason. And then, even though he found out we were getting Kemba, he stuck with his commitment to Philly.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 10:44:29 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
If we're assuming Horford's in, Kemba's out, I think we'd have a better chance but idk. Because tbh it wasn't like we were flourishing at the guard position either. Guys like Pritchard, White, etc. weren't there in 2020 I think it was Wanamaker, Edwards and Waters lol.

Yeah now if this were the case, I think they'd reach the Finals and have a real chance in 2020. Screw Cryrie

I could be wrong, but couldn't we have re-signed Horford AND Rozier if we didn't sign Kemba? If so, that may have been enough to win it. The Lakers weren't exactly the super power than people like to think they were that year.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 10:47:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Who does Philly sign instead of Horford?  Do they try harder to keep Butler?

Do we keep Rozier?

Where does Kemba sign?

What other changes are made to Boston and other teams?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 10:55:57 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I've also been posting about this lately, so I think it is a good thread. Yes, I think we win in 2020 with Al on our team. We were starting Theis and playing Enes actual rotation minutes off the bench. I actually really like what Theis gave us throughout those playoffs, but it would have been a lot easier to bang with Bam if we had Al.

I really do like Al and am happy he is back here; however, not only did he leave us for our rival, but his departure kind-of screwed our front court rotation. It would have been so sweet taking down the Lakers in 2020, but Al felt the need to go to Philly for some reason. And then, even though he found out we were getting Kemba, he stuck with his commitment to Philly.

I may be misremembering but I feel like when Kyrie left it was pretty much over, time for the Celts to retool. So it was no hard feelings when Al left cos we were neither contenders nor willing to pay him a lot.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 11:38:54 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
We definitely would've beaten Miami and gone to the Finals against LA. Not sure who wins that series but we'd certainly have a shot at it.

Bam caused us so much problems in that series because we had nobody that could matchup against him. Also, MIA's zone defense caused us so much problems because we had no big man who get into the middle of the zone and make passes inside the zone to beat the zone. Horford does both of those things. He can also make outside shots and beat the zone that way.

Things were so desperate that Grant Williams became a very effective option at center because of his physicality against Bam & his ability to pass. Horford would have been leaps and bounds better than rookie Grant Williams at doing these things.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 12:46:08 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Hindsight is 20-20 so let me refresh our collective memories:

- When Horford signed that contract with the Sixers the entire league thought it was an overpay.
- No one thought Horford would look this fresh at age 35. The first year of that Sixers deal, people were saying he was washed up.
- Kemba's knee gave out mid-season of his first year with us. Prior to that he was awesome (started the all-star game) and looked like a perfect fit for this team.
- Rozier was awful the last year of his rookie deal and pretty much everyone wanted him gone. Someone on these forums literally said "If they re-sign Rozier I will punch someone's baby." Tommy Point to whoever can find that comment.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 12:54:58 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I mean, I strongly believe we win it all that year if Hayward doesn’t twist his ankle in round one. He clearly wasn’t right the rest of the way, and that was his post-injury breakout year. We beat Miami and LAL if he’s healthy.

So, yeah, if we also had Al that would’ve been huge. But the “butterfly effect” of how that would’ve affected the rest of the East is so hard to determine, especially as it would’ve most impacted two of our opponents in Philly/Miami.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 12:55:39 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806

- When Horford signed that contract with the Sixers the entire league thought it was an overpay.
- No one thought Horford would look this fresh at age 35. The first year of that Sixers deal, people were saying he was washed up.
- Kemba's knee gave out mid-season of his first year with us. Prior to that he was awesome (started the all-star game) and looked like a perfect fit for this team.
- Rozier was awful the last year of his rookie deal and pretty much everyone wanted him gone. Someone on these forums literally said "If they re-sign Rozier I will punch someone's baby." Tommy Point to whoever can find that comment.

From Silky
June 6, 2019

If rozier is back on this team next year as the result of kyrie leaving I will be super angry.

If Rozier starts in place of brown or smart imma punch someones baby

I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 01:10:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

From Silky
June 6, 2019

If rozier is back on this team next year as the result of kyrie leaving I will be super angry.

How are you able to find old quotes like this? I haven't been able to find anything without the search feature. Did the search feature move?

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 01:27:15 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806

From Silky
June 6, 2019

How are you able to find old quotes like this? I haven't been able to find anything without the search feature. Did the search feature move?

I went to my profile and replaced profile with search.  Then I typed punch someones baby and it popped up.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain