Author Topic: NBA FIXXED GAME, AGAIN!  (Read 14371 times)

Re: NBA FIXXED GAME, AGAIN!
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2022, 11:18:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
The NBA failed to stop us from sweeping the KD/Kyrie Nets. They gotta stretch this series to 7 games or else they lose money  ::)

Sweet! Guaranteed Game 4 win for the Celtics!

Or you know, lose Game 4 and be down 3-1.

And then Milwaukee will pull a Green Bay Packers special and choke, blow 3-1 series lead to the C's!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2022, 11:23:02 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
I hate being that guy. I agree refs can steal a game, but there are bad reffed games that can still be won by playing more intelligently.  They had a shot and made several mental errors that lost them the game. Bad three by smart, couple missed ft, and Tatum working hard to lower his nba2k rating were factors that kept them from beating the bucks and the refs.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2022, 12:18:41 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Funny, Giannis wanted to comment about the refs but he don't want to owe the fine so he won't.

What's he gotta comment about? He's getting all the calls favoring him.

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2022, 01:32:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I hate being that guy. I agree refs can steal a game, but there are bad reffed games that can still be won by playing more intelligently.  They had a shot and made several mental errors that lost them the game. Bad three by smart, couple missed ft, and Tatum working hard to lower his nba2k rating were factors that kept them from beating the bucks and the refs.

I think it's fine and normal for fans to think "we wuz robbed" but I hope the players aren't thinking that. As you say you can only control the controllables as a player and you have to look at what you can do better individually, even if if means having to beat the refs in an 8 v 5 game. Once a player gets it in his mind that the ref is working against him then it becomes an easy excuse for a loss. And there were many things we could have done better - shoot better than 38%, Tatum could score more than 10 points and be more aggressive, and better shot selection.

On the plus side, Giannis had a blinder, Tatum had a shocker, we shot 38% and they only beat us by 2, coming down to a bad call and bad bounce at the end. We have 2 more opportunities to steal one on their floor by just improving what is in the team's control, and take the refs out of the equation.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2022, 01:35:28 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Funny, Giannis wanted to comment about the refs but he don't want to owe the fine so he won't.

I suspect because everyone has a bone to pick with the refs in a tight game. That's why fans are called "fanatics". Yes even the Bucks fans and players  :angel:

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2022, 01:43:11 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White

I suspect because everyone has a bone to pick with the refs in a tight game. That's why fans are called "fanatics". Yes even the Bucks fans and players  :angel:

What are Bucks fans complaining about. They're the current defending champs. They have easily the best player in the world on their team, and because of that status, officials will always favor him.

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2022, 02:28:14 AM »

Kiorrik

So I followed a bunch of different sides of this and the Bucks fans were complaining just as much.

Lots of pushing off by the Jays, for example.

Leads me to one conclusion;

REFS ARE TERRIBLE IN THIS LEAGUE

System is broken

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2022, 04:52:03 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
So I followed a bunch of different sides of this and the Bucks fans were complaining just as much.

System is broken

I think the biggest issue is a) lack of consistency and b) lack of accountability. I think most fans and players would be ok with refs making mistakes, they're human after all. And fans and players will always complain when decisions don't go their way, that's ok too. But the worst thing is when there's a perceived lack of consistency when it comes to decisions e.g. letting someone push off and not letting someone else. The whole "stars get good whistles" syndrome. That's where the feeling of unfairness comes in for people. Or they choose to referee the game a certain way and then change in the 2nd half. It's bad enough to have inconsistency in how the rules are interpreted by different referees, but I think players and fans can get used to that as long as individual referees are consistent, which most often they aren't. Then there's the "make up call" - where they make a mistake and make it up by making another mistakes. It just introduces the idea that they are managing the game vs refereeing the game.

Then the lack of accountability is another annoying one. Obviously it's a tough job. I don't know how many aspiring referees there are out there, or how big the pool of referees they can pick from are. But when you see the same names making the same mistakes for years upon years, you wonder if there is any accountability for them. There is for players, they can get benched. Coaches can get fired. It doesn't seem like referees are held accountable. Maybe they are in the background, I don't know. We don't need public hangings and floggings of referees that make mistakes, God knows they are human and doing a tough job, but taking steps to make the profession more accountable for mistakes would be a step in the right direction.

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2022, 05:12:20 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I just watched the last play again, in slow motion, because I'm a glutton for punishment. Smart was ABSOLUTELY fouled by Portis right after he grabbed the rebound.  Portis grabbed Smart's right shoulder and pulled him, that's what turned him sideways and led to the awkward off-balance shot.  The 2-minute report will be a doozy.

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2022, 06:36:12 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Sadly this is nothing new.  No one wants to believe it but it’s plain as day and not just because of what happened to the C’s.  It’s every year because you can hear the announcers talk about it.  Whatever team has the biggest star, they hype it and the nba pushes it.  Doesn’t matter if your a clod idiot football player like lebron or Giannis.  Once the NBA HAS DECIDED WHO THE STARS ARE, the narrative spins.  It’s disgusting because it suggests it’s not about if you can play but what sells.  If the game is officiated correctly, I’d argue the Celtics could win it all this year.  They are gonna have to find a way to rise above it and change the narrative themselves.  That means our stars have to shine brighter.

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2022, 08:48:56 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Are we really talking about officiating in a game where the Celtics took twice as many free throws as the Bucks?  Look, I’m not suggesting the refs were on the Celtics side yesterday.  Far from it.  They were the more aggressive team and deserved more free throw shots.  Also, Giannis plays with a different set of rules.  But to suggest this is the reason they lost and completely gloss over how putrid the Celtics offense was, particularly Tatum, would be letting them off the hook.  There will not be another game in this series with this free throw disparity in favor of the Celtics, and it was squandered.

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2022, 09:10:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

System is broken
yes, referring in the nba is inconsistent. i think most refs get most of the calls right most of the time. but that is not good enough and the number of bad calls needs to decrease. it is a very hard job, but it can be done better than it is done now.

however, the conspiracy theories bantered around in this thread are just that, conspiracy theories that look only at a specific incident that confirms the theory and ignore the larger, overall system or pattern.

here is an interesting article on the nba's system of checking refs:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/who-refs-the-nbas-referees/

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2022, 09:22:51 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Agreed. It’s a well-known fact that the referees are in conspiracy against every NBA team and are collectively working for every team to lose every game.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2022, 09:50:59 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
This was so infuriating that I may not watch game 4.

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2022, 12:29:45 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Felger used to call the "Green teamers" the softest fan base in the area. I didn't agree with him, but now I do.

Many freaked out about Kyrie Irving hurting the fans feelings.

In this series, the Celtics lose a tough game, and it must be someone else's fault. Doesn't matter that Kris Middleton is hurt. Doesn't matter that the Celtics took way more FT's than Milwaukee.

I didn't like the outcome, and I want to blame someone!!!

Come on people, expect more from yourselves.