Author Topic: Bucks (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Round 2 Game 2 5/3/22  (Read 29506 times)

Bucks (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Round 2 Game 2 5/3/22
« on: May 02, 2022, 10:56:54 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Milwaukee Bucks (1-0, 4-1) at Boston Celtics (0-1, 4-0)
Tuesday, May 3, 2022
7:00 PM ET
Round 2,   Game 2
TV: TNT
Radio:  WBZ-FM, WTMJ AM/FM
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Marcus Smart vs Jrue Holiday

Shooting Guard
vs 
Jaylen Brown vs Wesley Matthews

Small Forward

vs 
Jayson Tatum vs Bobby Portis, Jr

Power Forward
  vs 
Al Horford vs Giannis Antetokounmpo

Center

vs 
Robert Williams III vs Brook lopez

Celtics Reserves
Payton Pritchard
Grant Williams
Derrick White
Daniel Theis
Luke Kornet
Sam Hauser
Aaron Nesmith
Malik Fitts
Juwan Morgan
Nick Stauskas

Injuries

Marcus Smart (quad) questionable

Head Coach
Ime Udoka

Grayson Allen
Thanasis Antetokounmpo
Jevon Carter
Pat Connaughton
Serge Ibaka
Jordan Nwora
Luca Vildoza
Rayjon Tucker

Injuries
George Hill (abdomen) out
Khris Middleton (knee) out

Head Coach
Mike Budenholzer

Game Notes
The Celtics host the Milwaukee Bucks for Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals.  They enter this game down 0-1 after losing the first game 101-89 on Sunday afternoon.  The Celtics defense held the Bucks to 101 points on 41.1 shooting but they struggled on offense.  The Celtics shot just 33.3% from the field and 36% from beyond the arc. That might seem like a decent percentage on three pointers until you see that they shot 50 threes for the game.  They had just 3 shots that weren't either in the paint or beyond the arc. 

While losing the first game of a series is not ideal, it isn't the end of the world.  Teams that win Game 1 on the road go on to win the series just 51.3% of the time.  Over the past decade, lower seeded teams that won game 1 on the road by double digits are just 2-10 in winning the series.  In 2019, the Celtics blew out the Bucks in Game 1 in Milwaukee but the Bucks went on to win the next 4 games to win the series in 5.  The Celtics need to win this one, however, because teams that go up 2-0 win the series 92.4% of the time.

Since April 1, the Celtics are 8-0 in games against everyone but the Bucks.  Against the Bucks, the Celtics are 0-2.  It's possible that they are just a bad matchup but when they played on April 7, the Celtics were without Jayson Tatum, Robert Williams, and Al Horford.  The Bucks were healthy except for Grayson Allen and yet the Bucks won by just 6 points.  The Celtics had been off for almost a week when they faced the Bucks and so, rust may have been a factor.  And before Game 1, they played a team that had minimum defense and didn't have the size or physicality of the Bucks.  Hopefully they will adjust and take Game 2. 

Marcus Smart took quite a beating in Game 1.  He left in the second quarter with a shoulder stinger and a quad contusion.  He returned after halftime, but appeared to favor the shoulder the rest of the game.  He is listed as questionable going into this game with a bad quad bruise.  Because it's the playoffs and because it's Marcus Smart, I expect him to play.  Jaylen Brown grabbed his hamstring after a play in Game 1 but he said that it was fine and he isn't on the injury list.  If Smart can't play, I would guess that Payton Pritchard will get the start in his place.

For the Bucks, George Hill is out with an abdominal strain.  He hasn't played since April 8.  He was limited in Monday's practice and is not expected to be back until at least Saturday's game in Milwaukee.  Khris Middleton is out with a grade 2 MCL sprain and is not expected back for this game or for the rest of the series.   I expect the same starters for both teams for this game. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Al Horford vs Giannis Antetokounmpo         
Antetokounmpo averaged 28.6 points, 13.4 rebounds, 6.2 assists and 1.4 blocks in the first round against the Bulls.  He shot 56.8% from the field and 15.4% from beyond the arc.  In Game 1 vs Boston he had 24 points, 13 rebounds, and 12 assists.  He did have to work for his points, however and shot just 9-25 from the field and 0-2 from beyond the arc.  He also turned the ball over 5 times.  Along with making him work for his points, the Celtics will need to limit his passes in this game as his 12 assists resulted in 7 threes and 5 twos for 31 points for the Bucks. 

vs
Marcus Smart vs Jrue Holiday
Holiday averaged 16.4 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 6.8 assists against the Bulls in the first round.  He shot 40.7% from the field and 34.5% from beyond the arc in the first round.   He had 25 points (8-20), 10 rebounds, and 5 assists in Game 1.  With Marcus Smart limited in the second half of last game and possibly for this game, Holiday's play will be key for the Bucks. 

Honorable Mention
Jayson Tatum vs Bobby Portis
Portis averaged 11.6 points, and 11.4 rebounds in the first round against the Bulls.  For the series, he shot 44.9% from the field and 36.0% from beyond the arc.   In his starts after Middleton went down, he averaged 16 points, 13 rebounds and shot 50% from the field and 42% from beyond the arc.  He had 15 points, 11 rebounds and 1 assist in Game 1, but his defense and his length was a big factor for them.  Jayson Tatum struggled in Game 1 and the Celtics need him to get back on track in this game if they hope to get a win.

Keys to the Game
Defense -  Defense is always the biggest key to winning.  The Bucks are first in the post season with a defensive rating of 93.5.  The Celtics are 8th with a defensive rating of 111.9.  The Celtics defense was good in Game 1, holding the Bucks to 101 points.  However, the Bucks defense was even better, holding the Celtics to just 89 points.  The Celtics have to defend Giannis but, they also have to pay attention to the Bucks other starters and role players because they are making their shots and so the Celtics must not ignore them while trying to slow down Giannis. The Celtics have to play harder on defense than the Bucks in order to win this series. 

Rebound - Next to defense, rebounding is an important key to winning.  Rebounding takes effort and when the Celtics put out extra effort to win the rebounding battle,  that effort usually continues to other areas of the game.  The Bucks are first in the playoffs with 52.2 rebounds per game.  The Celtics are 8th with 41.2 rebounds per game.  The Bucks out-rebounded the Celtics 66-54 in Game 1 and so the Celtics will need to work harder in this game to beat the Bucks on the boards. 

Step Away from the 3 Point Line - The Bucks were pretty much closing off the paint and so the Celtics resorted to shooting 3 pointer after 3 pointer.  They shot 50 threes for the game (yes, FIFTY), making just 15 of them.  They had just 3 shots that weren't either 3's or in the paint.  Hopefully the Celtics can figure out how to get inside more and if the 3's aren't falling, maybe take a few more mid range shots.  But, shooting 50 threes isn't a good formula for winning a playoff game. 

Stay Focused - The Celtics had 18 turnovers in game 1 to just 13 for the Bucks.  The Bucks scored 27 points off of those turnovers.  The Celtics have to focus on making crisp passes and on handling the ball with care.  They can't get sloppy with passes or with dribbling.  They also have to focus on taking good shots and on making them.  They missed 5 free throws along with all of the other shots and often that shows a lack of focus.  The Celtics also seemed to get frustrated by the refs and the physicality of the Bucks and seemed to lose their composure.  They have to keep their focus and not let the Bucks or the refs take it away from them. 

Coaching - Buth Ime Udoka and Mike Budenholzer coached under Gregg Popovich in San Antonio. Budenholzer spent 17 seasons with the San Antonio Spurs, serving as an alternate video coordinator for the first two seasons and then as an assistant coach.  Ime Udoka served as an assistant coach under Popovich  for 7 years, winning a championship with them in 2014.  Budenholzer is a 2 time Coach of the Year and led the Bucks to a championship last season while Udoka is a rookie head coach.  There will be adjustments on both sides going into this game.  Which coach will make the right adjustments and come out on top in Game 2?

X-Factors
Home Court - The Celtics came into Game 1 with home court advantage for the series but the Bucks have taken that from them with the first game win.   The Celtics need to get extra motivation from playing on their home court and from the home crowd, which hopefully will be loud..   The Bucks are mostly a veteran team and so will not likely get as rattled as a younger team would when playing in front of a hostile crowd on the road but the Celtics should still have an advantage at home. 

Officiating - The officiating can always be an x-factor and maybe more so in the playoffs than in the regular season.  Some referees call the game tight and others let them play.  Some favor the home team and others call it evenly.  Some refs just seem to have an agenda that doesn't fit the play on the court.  Giannis seems to always get more than his share of calls and shot 11 in Game 1, more than any other player on either team.  The Celtics, especially Jayson Tatum, let the refs get to them in Game 1.  The Celtics have to play through however the refs call the game, whether it is tight or they let them play.  They can't allow bad calls or no calls to take away their focus on the game.   

Re: Bucks (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Round 2 Game 2 5/3/22
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 10:59:27 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Time for some revenge! Go C's!!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 11:00:05 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  hpantazo  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!

Beat the Bucks!!!!!!   

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 11:09:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
TP FLCeltsFan!

I’m feeling good about this one. I think the team will come out desperate and the shots will fall more consistently. I’m predicting a 109-102 Celtics win  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 11:13:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Time to bounce back
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 11:45:09 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Less doubling on Giannis. Let him get his 40 and stop everyone else. Less 3’s… 50 attempts last game was just a stupid amount. Less Grant Williams. 8pts and 4rebs in 29mins is just not good enough. Had a -15 +/- which was the 2nd worst on the team behind Pritchard. Rob only played 22 mins and Theis played 4 mins… Ime needs to be better. Must win game, let’s get it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 12:07:49 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 06:40:45 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Gotta get this one! Let’s go C’s!!! Pls cut down on turnovers!!! And play with more force! Refs aren’t calling charges in a game with Giannis in it. Use those off arms to push off guys!
- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 07:27:55 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Let's go Cs, really need a bounce back win. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 08:37:21 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Confession: Game 1 was all on me. I am not a cigar smoker, however someone gifted me some cigars last Christmas. I decided to use them as victory cigars for every playoff win, which I did for the Nets series. Then Saturday evening came and I was relaxing with a beverage outside in the beautiful weather. I thought "why not"? I used a victory cigar on an off day. The following day, we lose Game 1. That will not happen again. My victory cigar is waiting until after game 2. I expect it will be used appropriately tonight on the heels of a resilient performance.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 09:18:48 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Confession: Game 1 was all on me. I am not a cigar smoker, however someone gifted me some cigars last Christmas. I decided to use them as victory cigars for every playoff win, which I did for the Nets series. Then Saturday evening came and I was relaxing with a beverage outside in the beautiful weather. I thought "why not"? I used a victory cigar on an off day. The following day, we lose Game 1. That will not happen again. My victory cigar is waiting until after game 2. I expect it will be used appropriately tonight on the heels of a resilient performance.

A true confession, glad you came clean.  I think the basketball gods will accept that.

Let's see if this leads to the Celtics shooting better on 2 point shots and particularly in the paint.  I want to see RWill get like 5 alley-oop dunks.  I want to see Tatum and Brown forcing it to the hoop and getting fouls on Lopez (I accept they will not call fouls on Giannis).  If we can recover and win this, all the pressure is back on the Bucks, when they play again later this month   ::)

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 09:20:39 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Let’s go C’s!!!!!

If we played an average game last time, it’s a W. Let’s tie this up.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 09:57:17 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The Celtics have to leave it all out there for this one.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 12:06:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for another great thread FL.  let's get back to winning

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 12:38:12 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
It's do-or-die time, baby. If we can't win here, I'm not confident we can win on the road either.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 01:05:34 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
If we lose tonight's game, then I think the season is pretty much over.

Unless they win two games on the road ala 2017 Celtics-Bulls typa run. But that's a long shot against the best player in the world.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)