Author Topic: Rank the Cs defenders against Giannis  (Read 5750 times)

Re: Rank the Cs defenders against Giannis
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2022, 10:47:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
1 Horford
2 Timelord

3 Tatum
4 Grant Williams
5 Theis

6 Jaylen
7 Smart

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2022, 10:51:03 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It will be a team effort like it was against Durant.

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd actually have Theis and Tatum both lower and Smart/Jaylen higher.

Take Tatum for example, he just had a great defensive series against Durant but Durant and Giannis are VERY different players. Tatum has a somewhat high center of gravity and has never done great against straight power players. Giannis will go through him, and in the process will put fouls  on him that the c's cannot afford. Theis meanwhile will just foul out  of the game in about 3 minutes of guarding Giannis.

I think the best approach is put Al, Grant, Jaylen and even Smart on him. Get low, drive him towards the help defense whether that's Rob, Theis, Tatum. Throw some doubles to dig at his dribble on the drive.

If Giannis decides  to pull up and shoot against smaller defenders well then you've already won.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2022, 11:30:40 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
1. Horford
2. Grant
3. Tatum
4. Jaylen
5. Timelord
6. Smart

The rest aren't particularly relevant. I don't want Tatum to cover Giannis too much because of how easily Giannis draws fouls. Horford has played excellent defence against him historically. Grant looks super locked in on defence. I ranked TL and Smart lowly, more because I think they're best suited elsewhere on defence

I feel like Smart will end up being number 1 on that list by the end of the series. Not based on any facts. Just because he's Marcus Smart.
I am making an incredibly not-so-bold prediction that Marcus Smart will take some really excellent charges on Giannis, making him furious in the process.

He absolutely will. They will be called blocking fouls, though.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2022, 11:35:07 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I'd actually have Theis and Tatum both lower and Smart/Jaylen higher.

Take Tatum for example, he just had a great defensive series against Durant but Durant and Giannis are VERY different players. Tatum has a somewhat high center of gravity and has never done great against straight power players. Giannis will go through him, and in the process will put fouls  on him that the c's cannot afford. Theis meanwhile will just foul out  of the game in about 3 minutes of guarding Giannis.

I think the best approach is put Al, Grant, Jaylen and even Smart on him. Get low, drive him towards the help defense whether that's Rob, Theis, Tatum. Throw some doubles to dig at his dribble on the drive.

If Giannis decides  to pull up and shoot against smaller defenders well then you've already won.

I agree and I believe Smart is the best defender for Giannis.  The key is to also have Timelord free under the rim for when Giannis gets by Smart.  Tatum and Brown can stay home on the shooters.  I am also curious if White can stay in front of Giannis without giving him too much of a strength advantage to back him down.  I like the idea of Grant also being a primary defender.

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2022, 11:36:01 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Can someone explain how Timelord is not #1? He has the size, length, athleticism and lateral quickness to stay with Giannis. The only other guy that does is Tatum and Rob is a better defender than he is.

Cos he got no meat on his bones

Timelord is 237lbs. The only players on the team heavier are Horford, Theis, and Kornet. Any legitimate reasons?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2022, 11:41:35 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think Al and Grant are best suited to the job.  And I don't mind Smart, Jaylen, and Jayson taking some turns on him.  Rob can do it some too if necessary, but I'd prefer to keep him off ball to give help at the rim if possible. 

I don't want Theis on him.  Not strong enough, too foul-prone.  Similarly, I don't see White helping on him much except perhaps to steal a charge or two. 

We have a lot of team-wide strength, yet we still possess the lateral quickness to stay in front of him.  He's a monster and he'll make his plays but I think we match up better against him than most teams do. 

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 11:51:52 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think Theis is the best for the job for a few reasons.  Maybe the most relevant is that whoever is on Giannis is going to rack up the fouls.  Then on to the next.

They are going to need to double Giannis in sets anyway, or at least some form of rotation.  And there are also going to be a lot of switches.  I would rather see Horford on Lopez than on Giannis.  Don't need to have Horford picking up unnecessary fouls.

Grant Williams will probably get the secondary assignment on Giannis.  RWill on Portis or Lopez.  Neither of these guys can stop Giannis one on one so it doesn't really matter.  May as well let Grant take him.

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2022, 11:58:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
1. Horford
2. Grant
3. Smart
4. Theis
5. Whatever

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2022, 12:02:29 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think Theis is the best for the job for a few reasons.  Maybe the most relevant is that whoever is on Giannis is going to rack up the fouls.  Then on to the next.

They are going to need to double Giannis in sets anyway, or at least some form of rotation.  And there are also going to be a lot of switches.  I would rather see Horford on Lopez than on Giannis.  Don't need to have Horford picking up unnecessary fouls.

Grant Williams will probably get the secondary assignment on Giannis.  RWill on Portis or Lopez.  Neither of these guys can stop Giannis one on one so it doesn't really matter.  May as well let Grant take him.

You want Theis on him BECAUSE he'll pick up fouls?  That's... an interesting take.

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2022, 12:09:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

You want Theis on him BECAUSE he'll pick up fouls?  That's... an interesting take.

This (fouls) is why I believe Rob Williams should only be used for spot minutes against Giannis rather than as the primary defender. Use Horford as the primary and then rotate a bunch of others on Giannis to give him different looks.

Let Rob be a help defender most of the time and then for small spurts here and there be the primary on Giannis.

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2022, 12:54:37 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
We switch everything so there won't be a primary defender on Giannis. It will be a crazy team on a string defense that this team can and will pull off and then headlines will be "What's wrong with Giannis?"

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2022, 01:32:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Do the same thing to Giannis that we did to Durant and we’ll be set. Switch to make a wall instead of switch to jump the pull up.

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2022, 01:36:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
We switch everything so there won't be a primary defender on Giannis. It will be a crazy team on a string defense that this team can and will pull off and then headlines will be "What's wrong with Giannis?"

Agreed. Really hoping that Grant will have enough footspeed to not get blown by at will. Because someone has to guard him initially.

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2022, 01:44:10 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Horford
Brown
G Williams
Smart
Tatum
Theis
R Williams

This order for a couple reasons.

First, I want to keep Tatum fresh after a grueling series guarding Durant. We will need his offense and Holliday won't make that easy.

Second, because I want Robert Williams roaming off ball to protect the rim and get defensive rebounds.

Third, because I think Horford and Brown are best suited to guard Giannis.

Fourth, because Smart and Williams may be able to draw a billion charges against him.