Author Topic: Rank the Cs defenders against Giannis  (Read 5855 times)

Rank the Cs defenders against Giannis
« on: April 27, 2022, 01:31:43 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

1 Tatum
2 Horford
3 Jaylen
4 Grant
5 Smart
6 Timelord
7 Theis

Hopefully Rob will be under the hoop most of the time ready for Giannis to drive, but I'm sure he could give him some trouble if we match him up with the freak.

Re: Rank the Cs defenders against Giannis
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 01:44:43 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Aw man if only the Clippers waived Semi earlier.

Semi just shuts Giannis down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5W9zeImCQ&ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski - Ojeleye muscle factory highlights against Giannis for those who forgot
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 01:57:15 AM by pokeKingCurtis »

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 02:04:16 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5W9zeImCQ&ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski - Ojeleye muscle factory highlights against Giannis for those who forgot

TP. He gave Giannis fits.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 02:13:02 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Hopefully Grant Williams can step into that role. Very similar height weight and strength levels.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 02:29:28 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Hopefully Grant Williams can step into that role. Very similar height weight and strength levels.
My guess too because of height and bulk, but Semi was legendary-strong.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 03:06:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
1. Horford
2. Grant
3. Tatum
4. Jaylen
5. Timelord
6. Smart

The rest aren't particularly relevant. I don't want Tatum to cover Giannis too much because of how easily Giannis draws fouls. Horford has played excellent defence against him historically. Grant looks super locked in on defence. I ranked TL and Smart lowly, more because I think they're best suited elsewhere on defence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 04:37:01 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
1. Horford
2. Grant
3. Tatum
4. Jaylen
5. Timelord
6. Smart

The rest aren't particularly relevant. I don't want Tatum to cover Giannis too much because of how easily Giannis draws fouls. Horford has played excellent defence against him historically. Grant looks super locked in on defence. I ranked TL and Smart lowly, more because I think they're best suited elsewhere on defence

I feel like Smart will end up being number 1 on that list by the end of the series. Not based on any facts. Just because he's Marcus Smart.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 04:40:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
1. Horford
2. Grant
3. Tatum
4. Jaylen
5. Timelord
6. Smart

I feel like Smart will end up being number 1 on that list by the end of the series. Not based on any facts. Just because he's Marcus Smart.
I am making an incredibly not-so-bold prediction that Marcus Smart will take some really excellent charges on Giannis, making him furious in the process.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 05:01:12 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
1. Horford
2. Grant
3. Tatum
4. Jaylen
5. Timelord
6. Smart

I am making an incredibly not-so-bold prediction that Marcus Smart will take some really excellent charges on Giannis, making him furious in the process.

I don't really recall any Smart-on-Giannis games. Maybe cos we've been using JB and Semi a lot from what I recall. But I feel like Smart will somehow outmuscle Giannis for a couple possessions because Smart doesn't abide by any logic.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 06:12:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
1. Horford
2. Grant
3. Tatum
4. Jaylen
5. Timelord
6. Smart

I don't really recall any Smart-on-Giannis games. Maybe cos we've been using JB and Semi a lot from what I recall. But I feel like Smart will somehow outmuscle Giannis for a couple possessions because Smart doesn't abide by any logic.
Smart is like a bumblebee - constantly defying the laws of physics

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 07:45:45 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Depends on the action. If he's the ball handler in a pnr,  and TL is playing the free safety role, it will be Marcus most of the time.

Tatum should watch Khris, and JB on holiday.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 08:30:44 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
I thing GW will do a tremendous job!  He played KD really well, and KD’s height gave him an advantage on jumpers.  If GW can move his puppies and stay in front of Giannis’ Euro “Vacation” steps, then GW will do great.  Make Giannis shoot jumpers over him.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 10:32:12 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Can someone explain how Timelord is not #1? He has the size, length, athleticism and lateral quickness to stay with Giannis. The only other guy that does is Tatum and Rob is a better defender than he is.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 10:38:33 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
Can someone explain how Timelord is not #1? He has the size, length, athleticism and lateral quickness to stay with Giannis. The only other guy that does is Tatum and Rob is a better defender than he is.

Cos he got no meat on his bones

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 10:46:25 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
It’s a tough question because it’s situational.

In general, I expect us to try Grant, who might be successful for the same reasons that Semi was - and who has some advantages Semi does not. He’s more familiar with play near the basket, and honestly he’s just better.

I also think Horford is going to get stints. For a limited number of possessions, at the end of the game, it would not surprise me at all if Smart draws the assignment. We’ve seen him do an amazing job, but it takes an expenditure of energy he couldn’t sustain throughout the game.

Rob might be able to handle him, but I think he might have trouble with Giannis’ speed and sudden changes of pace and direction. Also, as we know, he’s established his value in an off-ball roaming helper role. I see him being guarded by Grant or Al, who are moving their feet to stay in front, and they’re getting help from other defenders who show. Then,  as he’s working to find a way through that mess, he has to worry about Rob swooping in from behind or the side to block his shot.