Author Topic: Lakers / Pacers idea  (Read 3744 times)

Lakers / Pacers idea
« on: April 06, 2022, 08:22:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I borrowed this from another site and slightly modified it:

Lakers trade:  Westbrook, 2027 #1, 2028 swap rights, 2029 #1

Pacers trade:  Brogdon, Turner

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 08:38:53 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Lakers / Pacers idea
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 08:32:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Lakers trade:  Westbrook, 2017 #1, 2018 swap rights, 2019 #1

Not sure I follow.  Do you mean 2027, 2028, and 2029 for the picks and swap?

Assuming that is the case, still not sure IND would want to bring in Westbrook.  The Lakers might be good again by 2027 so hard to know how much value those picks and swap would be.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 08:39:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Lakers trade:  Westbrook, 2017 #1, 2018 swap rights, 2019 #1

Not sure I follow.  Do you mean 2027, 2028, and 2029 for the picks and swap?

Assuming that is the case, still not sure IND would want to bring in Westbrook.  The Lakers might be good again by 2027 so hard to know how much value those picks and swap would be.

Yes.  I'm living 10 years in the past.

I suspect Indy would tell Westbrook to stay home and would tread water for a season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 08:48:40 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I heard somewhere that Westbrook will be the highest paid player in the league next year .  If true , that’s shameful  ???

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 09:02:58 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I heard somewhere that Westbrook will be the highest paid player in the league next year .  If true , that’s shameful  ???

I checked Spotrac and they have him 4th next year behind Curry, Harden, and Wall.  Interesting that they have LeBron at 5th, making about $2.5M less than Westbrook.  I am sure that is not sitting real well with King James.

It is a pretty bad sign for the league that 2 of the top 4 contracts for next season are really really bad contracts.  And the other two, Curry isn't playing and Harden isn't playing very well.

Stephen Curry                     $48,070,014
James Harden                        $47,366,760
John Wall                            $47,366,760
Russell Westbrook                 $47,063,478
LeBron James                      $44,474,988
Kevin Durant                  $44,119,845
Paul George                     $42,492,568
Kawhi Leonard                     $42,492,492
Damian Lillard                     $42,492,492
Giannis Antetokounmpo        $42,492,492
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 09:23:00 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I checked Spotrac and they have him 4th next year behind Curry, Harden, and Wall.  Interesting that they have LeBron at 5th, making about $2.5M less than Westbrook.  I am sure that is not sitting real well with King James.

It is a pretty bad sign for the league that 2 of the top 4 contracts for next season are really really bad contracts.  And the other two, Curry isn't playing and Harden isn't playing very well.

The Warriors are fine with paying Curry because he was on a bargain deal for years and he brings in money.  His on-court value may now be eclipsed by his salary, but he helps bring in TV ratings for media deals.  (And he’s still pretty good when healthy).

It will be very curious what happens with Harden this summer.  Are the 6ers really going to sign him to a mega-extension?

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 09:54:00 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like it.

Indiana's rebuild has been a mess. Blowing it up and getting those future picks would be a nice move for them.

Good move for LA too giving LeBron a chance to finish his career contending for a Championship. A Big 4 of Brogdon, LeBron, AD and M.Turner is a strong foursome to build around. I'd be nervous about Brogdon's injury proneness but maybe that is the best they can hope for with Westbrook's bad contract. It hurts to lose that much future picks but it is worth it for a chance at another Championship.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 10:03:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm fine with it.  Let the Lakers give up more of their future for a team that probably still won't win a title.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 10:49:09 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
They could go ahead and do it. I don't think it makes much of a difference. Also Lebron will be another year older, can he really carry them anymore? He'll need help and AD doesn't seem reliable from a health standpoint
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 10:52:53 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
That's actually a great deal for the Pacers. If I were Indiana, I do it without a second thought.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 11:15:36 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
As someone who wants to see the Lakers fail, bring this on.

Giving up 3 first round picks (after all the picks they've already given up) for players who I don't think bring them to contender status anyway.  LeBron is another year older, Brogdon would be an improvement over Westbrook, but Turner has been injured too.  The only thing that can really salvage their team in my opinion is if Anthony Davis comes back to form.  Unless that happens, I don't see the Lakers turning it around enough to win a championship, and giving up even more of the future for that shot?  Sign me up.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 11:27:01 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
As someone who wants to see the Lakers fail, bring this on.

Giving up 3 first round picks (after all the picks they've already given up) for players who I don't think bring them to contender status anyway.  LeBron is another year older, Brogdon would be an improvement over Westbrook, but Turner has been injured too.  The only thing that can really salvage their team in my opinion is if Anthony Davis comes back to form.  Unless that happens, I don't see the Lakers turning it around enough to win a championship, and giving up even more of the future for that shot?  Sign me up.

I think that team, with appropriately added depth, would be dominant...  for 25 to 30 games.  The rest would be pretty questionable due to health concerns.

Turner
Davis
Lebron
Bradley
Brogdon

Amazing defense, very good offense. 

The prayer for LA would be that they get those 30 games in the playoffs, rather than to start the season.

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 11:33:06 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Lakers trade:  Westbrook, 2027 #1, 2028 swap rights, 2029 #1

I don't follow the Pacers very closely my my first reaction is to stay away from this trade...

Looking at their team from a distance they have

Currently projected the #5,#17,#31 picks in this draft

Tyrese Haliburton 22 years old and averaging 17pts 4.5rb 10ast 2 stl since joining them

Myles Turner 26 years old rare floor spacing rim protector

Malcolm Brogdon 29 years old injury prone but putting up near all star numbers

along with a decent mix of youth and younger vets to round out the roster

This proposed Westbrook trade feel like a step backwards for a franchise that likes to stay relevant.

I can see Jabari Smith, Paolo Banchero, Jaden Ivey or AJ Griffin all being nice fits on this roster. Holmgren and Turner do not seem ideal. To me the more likely scenario is that Brogdon or Hield is packaged along with #17 and #31 to bring in a player like Jermi Grant.

Hypothetically the 2022-2023 Pacers could be

Haliburton
Brogdon
Grant
Banchero
Turner

if they stay healthy that's a solid team with potential for growth

if they don't land a PF in the draft I also wonder if they become one of the few logical fits for Julius Randle? 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 11:40:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
In general, I can't see the appeal for Indy at all.  giving up 2 productive players (when healthy) on fairly reasonable deals for a player that has inhibited winning wherever he's played on a ridiculously expensive deal.  The picks are so far out that expecting them to be valuable by then is like hoping to hit a powerball jackpot since no team except the Lakers could turn around and sign top FAs once their cap situation is fixed and this would go a long way to fixing it.

also, I would be fairly surprised if any team in the league would want to help LA get out of cap hell due to their 'advantage' of players of this generation being seemingly infatuated with the Hollywood lifestyle that they assume comes with playing for the Lakers.

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 11:47:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This proposed Westbrook trade feel like a step backwards for a franchise that likes to stay relevant.

What Indy needs to do is ditch "relevance" and properly rebuild.  They need to decide whether they see Turner as a core piece (I would think not), and then make trades accordingly.