Author Topic: Trade Idea: Pelicans-Hawks  (Read 4510 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Pelicans-Hawks
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 07:11:40 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Atlanta is definitely a team that could potentially have the players/assets to make a deal work, but I really don't like a duo of Young/Williamson for them. 

Depending on where the knicks pick ends up this summer, I think they'd be the most likely destination if Zion is moved this summer.  Something like Toppin, Quickley, Reddish, salary filler (if needed), and then 4 1st's i.e. 22, 24, 26, 28 for Zion and Graham.  The 22 pick may have to be top 4 for New Orleans, but that would start to approach the value I think it would take for New Orleans to even be interested.

That trade doesn't even offer an established starter.

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 08:33:59 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
here is where you put one of the jays on the table, plus

No way the Celtics trade Tatum or Brown for Zion given his injury and conditioning issues. Just way to big of a risk.

Atl building a package just around Collins for Zion makes a lot of sense for both teams. I could also see the Knicks making an offer around Randle, Quickly and their likely 22 lottery pick for Zion.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 08:38:16 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
no risk no gain

Pretty much this. Many years ago, Embiid couldn’t get healthy. I think he missed the first 1-2 years straight with injury. Imagine if we traded Brown for Embiid then, and we had Tatum-Embiid today.

Trading for Zion sounds like a risk but (potentially) this might be the lowest his value will ever be for a long time. But then again, on the flip side, HUGE risk if it doesn’t pan out. You could end up with nothing

I’m glad I’m not PBS lol
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 09:45:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Atlanta is definitely a team that could potentially have the players/assets to make a deal work, but I really don't like a duo of Young/Williamson for them. 

Depending on where the knicks pick ends up this summer, I think they'd be the most likely destination if Zion is moved this summer.  Something like Toppin, Quickley, Reddish, salary filler (if needed), and then 4 1st's i.e. 22, 24, 26, 28 for Zion and Graham.  The 22 pick may have to be top 4 for New Orleans, but that would start to approach the value I think it would take for New Orleans to even be interested.

You asked earlier in this same thread why they would trade Zion without getting an all-star back, but this trade definitely does not include an all-star. It include three decent prospects.
and a very high known draft pick.  which makes it different than some random future draft pick.  The key would be how good is the Knicks pick.  If it is in the top 4, I could see it being very valuable.  It is also then 3 additional future picks far enough in the future to have ok value (especially for a team like the Knicks that hasn't won consistently in years). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 10:52:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
no risk no gain

Pretty much this. Many years ago, Embiid couldn’t get healthy. I think he missed the first 1-2 years straight with injury. Imagine if we traded Brown for Embiid then, and we had Tatum-Embiid today.

Trading for Zion sounds like a risk but (potentially) this might be the lowest his value will ever be for a long time. But then again, on the flip side, HUGE risk if it doesn’t pan out. You could end up with nothing

I’m glad I’m not PBS lol

Right. So a lot depends on your evaluation of your present position. If you think the Cs are close and can become contenders at lower risk, this is a bad move. You do this deal if you think they need a very big move at high risk. I’m in the first camp.

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 10:56:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You asked earlier in this same thread why they would trade Zion without getting an all-star back, but this trade definitely does not include an all-star. It include three decent prospects.
and a very high known draft pick.  which makes it different than some random future draft pick.  The key would be how good is the Knicks pick.  If it is in the top 4, I could see it being very valuable.  It is also then 3 additional future picks far enough in the future to have ok value (especially for a team like the Knicks that hasn't won consistently in years).
A. you moved the goalposts
B. the last 2 times they moved their best players for prospects and picks (CP3 and AD) it didn't work out well for the franchise.  Can't see a franchise being foolish enough to repeat history for a third time -- particularly for 'prospects' that won't come close to the player they're giving up.  they'd be lucky if any of them turn into consistent starters, never mind all stars.

same concept applies to those crappy trade ideas that pop up here about trading Jaylen for Prospect A and picks. 

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 08:08:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

B. the last 2 times they moved their best players for prospects and picks (CP3 and AD) it didn't work out well for the franchise.  Can't see a franchise being foolish enough to repeat history for a third time -- particularly for 'prospects' that won't come close to the player they're giving up.  they'd be lucky if any of them turn into consistent starters, never mind all stars.

same concept applies to those crappy trade ideas that pop up here about trading Jaylen for Prospect A and picks.
I actually think that is pretty similar to the package they got for Davis.  No Ingram level player back, but an extra draft pick.  Obviously the Knicks pick has to be in the top 4 though. 

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2022, 08:35:49 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I actually think that is pretty similar to the package they got for Davis.  No Ingram level player back, but an extra draft pick.  Obviously the Knicks pick has to be in the top 4 though.

I get your point, but I think we disagree on values. I don't believe a top 4 pick is worth an all-star level player. It seems like in this trade you do.

I'd probably value a top 4 pick in this year's draft over those prospects, but I'd value an all-star caliber player significantly higher than both.

For example, for a team to trade for Dejoute Murray, Zach Lavine, Jaylen Brown, Darius Garland, or even Fred Van Fleet, I would think it would require more than just a top 4 pick. It would also require other picks and prospects. Proven talent is more valuable than potential talent.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2022, 08:58:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I get your point, but I think we disagree on values. I don't believe a top 4 pick is worth an all-star level player. It seems like in this trade you do.

I'd probably value a top 4 pick in this year's draft over those prospects, but I'd value an all-star caliber player significantly higher than both.

For example, for a team to trade for Dejoute Murray, Zach Lavine, Jaylen Brown, Darius Garland, or even Fred Van Fleet, I would think it would require more than just a top 4 pick. It would also require other picks and prospects. Proven talent is more valuable than potential talent.
well sure, but the trade we were talking about was the Knicks top 4 pick, plus 3 other 1st round picks, plus Toppin, Quickley, and Reddish. Toppin and Reddish are on their rookie contracts as recent top 10 picks and Quickley has performed well for a later pick and is still on his rookie deal.  They also got out of Graham's contract which after acquiring McCollum (and still having Lewis) was unneeded on their roster.

Davis was traded for Ingram, Ball, Hart, #4 (ended up being Hunter), 2 future picks and a swap.  Ingram is better than any of the players, but they get an extra future pick outright and I suspect the 4th pick in this upcoming draft is thought of more highly than the 4th pick in what was thought of as a 3 person draft (in fact NO didn't even bother keeping the pick and traded it for later picks).  Ball was thought of much more of a bust with a problem father so his value was depreciated over what his actually ability was.  And for as injury prone as Davis was, he looks like Karl Malone compared to Zion's injury history, in addition to performing at a higher level for much longer and being a 2-way player.  Davis should have taken more to acquire.

I don't think New Orleans trades Zion, but if they do, and if the Knicks end up in the top 4, then I do think that is the sort of trade that makes a great deal of sense, especially with all of the future picks and the Knicks quite frankly being crappy for like 30 years.  New Orleans absolutely knew that the only good Lakers pick they were getting was #4 (or at least assumed so).  So in the Davis trade it was all about Ingram, Ball, Hart, and 4 with a few small assets added in.  Here, they get Toppin, Quickley, Reddish, top 4, and a much better chance to hit down the line.  They could absolutely turn around and trade that high pick (just as they did in the Davis trade) for immediate help or try to turn it into better players down the line as well by punting on the draft for future drafts. 

And I also think that is about as good as they will do for Zion given his injury history and contract situation.  It would be incredibly hard for a team to give up real players for him.  Which is also why I don't think a trade gets done.  Now maybe at the trade deadline next year if Zion is playing and wants out, then I think you might see a different sort of package.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 11:27:58 AM by Moranis »