Author Topic: Celts get Derrick White for Richardson, Langford, #1, 2028 pick swap  (Read 63134 times)

Re: Celts get Derrick White for Richardson, Langford, #1
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2022, 02:11:02 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Seems like a panic overpay move by Brad.  Sixers/Nets/Bucks all making moves so C's had to also.

Brad rehabbed Richardson's value and then flipped him with Langford and our first this year for Ime's point guard of the future. Ime was part of the coaching staff that picked and developed White. I think he's a believer.

What if he gets up to 17/7 a game as our point guard? He's at 15/6 right now. He's also a really good defender, which fits our playstyle.

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2022, 02:11:22 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
After completing the deal with the Spurs, the Celtics remain engaged in Dennis Schroder trade discussions, per source.

Adam Himmelsbach

Worth noting that Pritchard would potentially fit well next to White, if our intent is to bring White off the bench.  A defender and distributor like White could free Payton up to just do what he does best - launch.

Richardson kind of filled that role, too, though.

White is a MUCH better player then Richardson.

31% from 3.... WWWHHHEEEEEEEEEEE!

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2022, 02:11:39 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Zach Lowe says the Spurs also have swap rights in 2028 in addition to the protected 2022 1st.

Man, I hate dealing in far-future assets like that.  That could either be meaningless or it could be a stab in the gut, and we have no idea which one until we get there.
I think Brads focus right now is getting the best help he can get to help JB and JT to convince them the team is trying to field a legit team around there.

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2022, 02:12:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Zach Lowe says the Spurs also have swap rights in 2028 in addition to the protected 2022 1st.

Man, I hate dealing in far-future assets like that.  That could either be meaningless or it could be a stab in the gut, and we have no idea which one until we get there.

Yeah, that’s dangerous if there’s no protection on the swap.

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2022, 02:12:43 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
After completing the deal with the Spurs, the Celtics remain engaged in Dennis Schroder trade discussions, per source.

Adam Himmelsbach

Worth noting that Pritchard would potentially fit well next to White, if our intent is to bring White off the bench.  A defender and distributor like White could free Payton up to just do what he does best - launch.

He’s a career 35% shooter.

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2022, 02:13:40 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Well, we just got uglier.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2022, 02:13:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
ouch!!!!!!

It's hard to know what will happen in six years.

If we have Jaylen and Jayson at that point, that pick will be at worst, a late lottery.

I do think we overpaid, but I think we also got a very good player that will make us better. All worth it if Derrick White does help us.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2022, 02:14:02 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It's worth pointing out that pretty much everyone on the realgm forums think this was a great pickup for the Cs.

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Adam Himmelsbach

So he's getting worse. Sweet.

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2022, 02:15:35 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Adam Himmelsbach

This.

I think people are focusing on one year when he has history that he can be at least a tad above average from 3PT.

And they are ignoring the good defense, the terrific team defense, playmaking, shot creation, all of that.

Keep in mind that he's also playing for the current San Antonio Spurs who probably asking a little more for him to do on offense. With the floor opened up by the Jay's and he gets open looks, that efficiency could improve.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2022, 02:19:49 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I don't recall seeing White play.  It is a lot to give up.  The Celtics must feel he is going to be a valuable long term piece at a reasonable cost.  I don't know if he is more PG or Combo Guard though.  For what they gave up, it would seem they view him as a starter, maybe replacing Smart.

Smart is so versatile, he can be useful coming off the bench I guess.  If they are planning to trade Smart, I hope they get back a good PF:

White
Brown
Tatum
Good PF for Smart
RWilliams

We have 3 open roster spots and multiple TPE to round out the bench.  As it stands, assuming Smart continues to start (and why not, that line up has been great), we have Schroder, White, GWill, Freedom, Pritchard, Nesmith, Fernando for the bench, not great, not horrible.

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2022, 02:19:57 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Are Smart and White redundant?
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2022, 02:20:06 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Adam Himmelsbach

So unless both Smart and Schroder get traded White is the backup 2/3 and he’s shooting 30% from 3pt and the C’s jack up 40 of those a game.  Richardson is a bigger player, can guard the 1-3 and was shooting 40% from 3pt. Then we have to include Romeo, a 1st rounder and swap option? Brad got hosed.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2022, 02:20:28 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson

Adam Himmelsbach

Maybe he’s just having a down year? Everyone hated the Richardson move because he had flames out the last two years and shot poorly from 3 too. The point here is White historically shoots better than what he has this year.

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2022, 02:20:58 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Seems like a panic overpay move by Brad.  Sixers/Nets/Bucks all making moves so C's had to also.

Brad rehabbed Richardson's value and then flipped him with Langford and our first this year for Ime's point guard of the future. Ime was part of the coaching staff that picked and developed White. I think he's a believer.

What if he gets up to 17/7 a game as our point guard? He's at 15/6 right now. He's also a really good defender, which fits our playstyle.

This is why I love the deal...Ime knows him intimately. The over pay means he really wanted him. He's better than some are giving credit now. This is our version of Jrue Holiday.

We have a solid top 6 and 7-9 are young guys who can shoot.