Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics in talks for Ross  (Read 7515 times)

Re: Celtics in talks for Ross
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2022, 08:49:58 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
This works and puts Cs 165k over lux tax

Cs get Ross and Semi

Bucks get Schroeder and Freedom

Magic get Langford, Hill , and Bucks 1st

The next move is to sell Dozies deal off for a second and hope for a bit out big man

Why the heck do we want Semi back?  He was another of projects that didn't work out!  #facepalm

If the Bucks are willing to trade George Hill, Semi, and a 1st for Schröder and Freedom, we should leave the Magic out of it and take the 1st.

Re: Rumor: Celtics in talks for Ross
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2022, 08:58:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I do no understand why Boston would want Ross at all let alone at giving up anything of value for him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2022, 08:59:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I do no understand why Boston would want Ross at all let alone at giving up anything of value for him.

Yeah, but the good thing is that Gary Washburn isn't connected to any real sources, so this is just a bad trade idea.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2022, 09:05:40 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This works and puts Cs 165k over lux tax

Cs get Ross and Semi

Bucks get Schroeder and Freedom

Magic get Langford, Hill , and Bucks 1st

The next move is to sell Dozies deal off for a second and hope for a bit out big man

Why the heck do we want Semi back?  He was another of projects that didn't work out!  #facepalm

Comes back as an expiring salary match.

He is a completely acceptable 11th man, I would welcome his return and it wouldn’t be a shock if he if a useful emergency play in a playoff series vs Giannis or Durant.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2022, 10:34:13 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This makes little sense. Ross is a worse player than Schröder. It forces Richardson to play point, which isn't his strength. It means the team has Ross next year at $11 million, but IMO, it makes more sense to keep Schröder, the better player and try to sign him next year for $7 million, less money.

Ross aside I think Richardson at PG is a really good idea and when he is his most productive. Keith Smith reported earlier in the week that the Cs are fine with Richardson on the ball and have grown to prefer Schroder off the ball. He was very successful in that role for the Heat. The Cs point guard doesn't need to create he simply needs to get the ball to Tatum of Brown to start the offense.

My understanding is that the Divincenzo for Schroder swap is also built around the idea that Richardson is the backup PG.

If BS comes away from this deadline retaining the current starting 5 and replaces Schroder with a neutral or positive 6'4+ 3pt shooting wing to joint Richardson and Grant on the bench the Cs potentially have the best playoff D in the NBA. Their only defensive weakness will be guarding Embiid.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2022, 10:38:12 AM »

Online tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
This makes little sense. Ross is a worse player than Schröder. It forces Richardson to play point, which isn't his strength. It means the team has Ross next year at $11 million, but IMO, it makes more sense to keep Schröder, the better player and try to sign him next year for $7 million, less money.

Ross aside I think Richardson at PG is a really good idea and when he is his most productive. Keith Smith reported earlier in the week that the Cs are fine with Richardson on the ball and have grown to prefer Schroder off the ball. He was very successful in that role for the Heat. The Cs point guard doesn't need to create he simply needs to get the ball to Tatum of Brown to start the offense.

My understanding is that the Divincenzo for Schroder swap is also built around the idea that Richardson is the backup PG.

If BS comes away from this deadline retaining the current starting 5 and replaces Schroder with a neutral or positive 6'4+ 3pt shooting wing to joint Richardson and Grant on the bench the Cs potentially have the best playoff D in the NBA. Their only defensive weakness will be guarding Embiid.     

I would be ok with this.  Adding DiVincenzo would be great.  No Ross.  Please no Ross.  As for Embiid.  There isn't a player in the league who can guard him.  You just hope you can get him to settle for jumpers.  I will say that Al has always had some success slowing him down more then the normal PF/C so adding Divi and that's it allows them to see what this team has.  I just don't see any deals that really make this team so much better if you trade away a few of the players that make this defense so good.  The C's need 2 shooters.  On on the wing and a floor spacing big or PG. 

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2022, 10:40:11 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Would not be my first choice as a trade target (Collins, Beasley, Barnes), but rather Ross than nothing.

Shooting almost 6 FG3% less than his career stats (30.8% to 36.4%).

This may be a good thing as it lowers his price.

It could be that he's done at age 31, but it just could be that Orlando is a completely disorganized dumpster fire mess of a team.

Should get more open looks playing with Tatum and Brown.

Ross could be just the shooting addition that we need or just a big nothingburger. We don't appear to be giving up the world for him.

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2022, 10:42:10 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Here's an idea, combining a few:

Lakers receive: Schroeder, Ross, Kanter
Magic receive: Langford, Nunn
Celtics receive: Horton-Tucker, Reaves

This gets us out of the luxury tax. Not sure if it makes us significantly better or gives us significantly more assets -- depends on your of THT

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2022, 10:45:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I had no idea Ross' shooting percentages were so pedestrian.  Have zero interest in trading for him. I'd rather keep Schroder.

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2022, 10:50:28 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Yeah, but the good thing is that Gary Washburn isn't connected to any real sources, so this is just a bad trade idea.

Precisely why I think someone low in the Cs org was instructed to leak it to him.

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2022, 10:51:07 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Would not be my first choice as a trade target (Collins, Beasley, Barnes), but rather Ross than nothing.

This isn't specifically a defense of Ross, but you're talking a significantly different acquisition cost for your preferred guys - all would require current starters and/or firsts (and firsts are likely off the table until Beal resolves) while Ross or Donte are just sort of (theoretically) available for spare parts.

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2022, 11:03:06 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

This isn't specifically a defense of Ross, but you're talking a significantly different acquisition cost for your preferred guys - all would require current starters and/or firsts (and firsts are likely off the table until Beal resolves) while Ross or Donte are just sort of (theoretically) available for spare parts.

I don't mind being held hostage by a potential Beal deal. It would be nice if Brad knows something significant regarding Beal's intentions that we don't.

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2022, 12:04:35 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

This gets us out of the luxury tax. Not sure if it makes us significantly better or gives us significantly more assets -- depends on your of THT

I like it, but i don't think the Lakers could take back Denis.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2022, 12:08:10 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I like it, but i don't think the Lakers could take back Denis.

The Lakers would love Denis back. They'd love any thing at this point.