Author Topic: CJ McCollum to the Pelicans  (Read 10014 times)

Re: CJ McCollum to the Pelicans
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 10:58:27 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Shams now has it as done with Satoransky and Nickeil Alexander-Walker plus picks going with Hart to Portland.

EDIT: Still "finalizing", but he named the other players, which is an update.

Seems like a steal for McCollum. You'd think the Sixers could've had him and others for Simmons.

As I said above, it really depends on what draft compensation the Blazers are getting back.  The Pels have a boatload of Lakers picks.

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 11:01:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Saw a report the draft compensation being offered was the 22 Lakers 1st and 23 Pelicans 1st.  So not too bad of pick potential.  So those 2 picks Hart, Satoransky, and NAW.  I'd probably have tried to squeeze another pick or young player out of the Pelicans, but that isn't a bad return for McCollum depending on you view the 3 players (and what if any protections the Pelicans pick has on it).

Isn't the Lakers 2022 #1 most likely headed to Memphis? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 11:01:25 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think they keep Lillard.  They now have a clean cap and a bunch of future picks.  They will give Lillard the max extension now and build around him with the other assets. 

Shame Boston couldn't get on that and get McCollum.

I have no idea what plan Portland may have of course but so far they have traded Powell, Covington, and now McCollum.  Would the plan be to start to rebuild now around a 31 year old player, 10 seasons into his career?  I could see Lillard going to Philly for Simmons plus Maxey plus maybe picks, or at least that could be what POR is asking for.

As to McCollum to the Celtics, it would have probably taken Smart and Richardson to match salaries.  I don't think Horford is anything they want.  This ends up adding $5M to our salary and I am not sure we would even be better off for it.  This is a nice get for NOP but I see no pathway and no reason for the Celtics to do it.

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 11:01:37 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I actually like this trade for both teams.  Portland already has the McCollum replacement in Simons who needs paid.  I love Hart.  He reminds me of a taller Smart.  He's also a better distributor then smart and just as streaky of a shooter.  He's a better scorer then smart but not as good of a defender (not many are).  He's still a good defender though.  NAW is a young scorer.  I like what Portland is doing.  I think they are actually better then then were with McCollum. 

As for the Pelicans.  Good big 4 when Zion returns. They will be a fun team to watch.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 11:02:45 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Shams now has it as done with Satoransky and Nickeil Alexander-Walker plus picks going with Hart to Portland.

Seems like a steal for McCollum. You'd think the Sixers could've had him and others for Simmons.

As I said above, it really depends on what draft compensation the Blazers are getting back.  The Pels have a boatload of Lakers picks.

The picks might be good but McCollum is a really good player. You'd think someone would top that.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 11:05:39 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

The picks might be good but McCollum is a really good player. You'd think someone would top that.

He's a really good player, but he's got a top 30 salary, and I don't think he's necessarily a top 30 player.  For a lot of teams he'd really limit what else the organization could do to get better after getting him.  I do think Philly should have made the Simmons trade for him tho -- it's unlikely they'll come out ahead.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 11:07:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I actually like this trade for both teams.  Portland already has the McCollum replacement in Simons who needs paid.  I love Hart.  He reminds me of a taller Smart.  He's also a better distributor then smart and just as streaky of a shooter.  He's a better scorer then smart but not as good of a defender (not many are).  He's still a good defender though.  NAW is a young scorer.  I like what Portland is doing.  I think they are actually better then then were with McCollum. 

As for the Pelicans.  Good big 4 when Zion returns. They will be a fun team to watch.
I see it for the Pels.  Zion, Ingram and McCollum is a pretty good big 3.

I don't see it for Portland.  Hart, Satoransky and NAW are hardly at the talent level needed to surround Lillard.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 11:29:45 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 11:08:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Eh.  30 year old player who has missed time the past two seasons, on an expensive contract who is leading his team nowhere this season.  How much better are they going to do than two #1s (if accurate), a starter, and another rotation player?

Like I said in another thread, he's a modest improvement over Evan Fournier when you take age and contract into consideration. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 11:11:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Woj:

Full trade, per sources:

Blazers: Josh Hart, Tomas Satoransky, Nickeil Walker-Alexander, Didi Louzada, 2022 protected first-round pick, two second-round picks.

Pelicans: CJ McCollum, Larry Nance, Tony Snell.

That makes a lot more sense than two #1s.

Didn't the Blazers trade a #1 for Nance?  That certainly didn't work out.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 11:12:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Wonder if the other shoe is trading Lillard for Simmons plus package?

Or does Lillard injury make that less likely?

Seems like a total rebuild by Blazers.

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 11:12:19 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Ultimately, while I think McCollum is a good player, he is a big risk with age/size/contract issues. No problem with Brad passing on that.

Hoping we throw major draft assets at Sabonis in the next couple of days here.

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 11:12:23 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Woj:

Full trade, per sources:

Blazers: Josh Hart, Tomas Satoransky, Nickeil Walker-Alexander, Didi Louzada, 2022 protected first-round pick, two second-round picks.

Pelicans: CJ McCollum, Larry Nance, Tony Snell.

And Nance? Portland has been giving away players and I don't understand why.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 11:12:44 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He's a really good player, but he's got a top 30 salary, and I don't think he's necessarily a top 30 player.  For a lot of teams he'd really limit what else the organization could do to get better after getting him.  I do think Philly should have made the Simmons trade for him tho -- it's unlikely they'll come out ahead.

That's true... Philly is just wasting Prime Embiid... I hope Philly fails but wasting an MVP year is sad...

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 11:12:58 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I've gone back and forth on McCullom, but I think where I ended up is that I think he is an extremely overpaid, very flawed, aging player that has had some injury issues over the past few years. Yet he is a valuable shooter and scorer that puts consistent pressure on opposing defenses. Still, I don't know that he's worth what they traded for him, or his contract.

For example, if you had to choose between Seth Curry on his contract, or CJ McCullom on his right now, who would you choose? Because I'm pretty sure I'd take Curry.

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2022, 11:13:12 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Saw a report the draft compensation being offered was the 22 Lakers 1st and 23 Pelicans 1st.  So not too bad of pick potential.  So those 2 picks Hart, Satoransky, and NAW.  I'd probably have tried to squeeze another pick or young player out of the Pelicans, but that isn't a bad return for McCollum depending on you view the 3 players (and what if any protections the Pelicans pick has on it).

Isn't the Lakers 2022 #1 most likely headed to Memphis?

If it's in the top 10 it stays with New Orleans.  Lakers right now are 13th if they miss the playoffs, but pretty close to the #10 line.  Curious to see if there's compensation if that pick doesn't convey.

The 2023 has a swap option with the Lakers, so the Pels (or Blazers now) would get the better of those two picks.  Getting a future unprotected pick from the 9-10 teams in a conference has high upside potential.