Author Topic: NFL: Brian Flores Sues Over ‘Racist Hiring Policies’  (Read 11014 times)

NFL: Brian Flores Sues Over ‘Racist Hiring Policies’
« on: February 02, 2022, 02:26:44 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Brian Flores has sued the NFL and three teams -- the Dolphins, Broncos and Giants -- alleging discrimination regarding his interview processes with Denver and New York and his firing last month by Miami.

The 58-page lawsuit was filed in Manhattan federal court Tuesday and seeks class-action status.

Flores alleges that the Giants interviewed him last month for their head-coaching vacancy for no other reason than compliance with the NFL's Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview minority candidates for their open positions. The league has amended that rule in recent years and now says teams must hold an in-person interview with at least one external minority candidate for any general manager or head-coach opening.

Flores alleged he spoke with the Giants via Zoom on Jan. 18, prior to the team hiring former Buffalo Bills assistant general manager Joe Schoen as its GM on Jan. 23. He said that the next day Schoen finalized his interview date for Jan. 27, and Giants co-director of player personnel Tim McDonnell texted Flores, saying he hoped he would "come in and win the f-ing job."

However, hours later, Flores' lawsuit alleges, he received a series of text messages from Patriots coach Bill Belichick, under whom Flores worked for 10 years in New England. In those texts, Belichick told Flores he had heard from "Buffalo and NYG that you are their guy."

Flores asked Belichick to clarify whether he meant to talk to him or Brian Daboll, who was also in the running for the Giants' job. Belichick acknowledged his error and informed him that the Giants wanted Daboll.

"Sorry -- I f---ed this up. I double checked and misread the text. I think they are naming Brian Daboll. I'm sorry about that," Belichick allegedly texted.

Flores alleges that his Jan. 27 interview with the Giants -- which satisfied the Rooney Rule, because he was the first minority candidate to interview in-person -- was a "sham." New York hired Daboll, the former Bills offensive coordinator, a day later.

Flores alleges that a similar scenario occurred when he interviewed with the Broncos for their head-coaching job in 2019. Flores says that then-Denver general manager John Elway, among others, arrived to the interview an hour late and hungover -- alleging they had been "drinking heavily the night before."

In the lawsuit, Wigdor Law LLP, the firm representing Flores, said the coach hopes to "shine a light on the racial injustices that take place inside the NFL." Among the areas Flores said he would like to see addressed:

• Increase influence of Black individuals in hiring

• Increase "the objectivity" of hiring/terminating GMs, head coaches and coordinators

• Increase the number of Black coordinators

• Incentivize hiring/retention of Black GMs, head coaches and coordinators

• Transparency of pay for GMs, head coaches and coordinators

Douglas Wigdor, a lawyer for Flores, told The New York Times that Wigdor Law LLP is looking into allegations from other coaches who could be part of the class-action suit. He noted that Flores reached out to the firm on the same day he received the Belichick text messages.

Source: ESPN

* Note there were other issues raised connected to the lawsuit, specifically regarding unfair dismissal, but given the length of the post I left that out.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: NFL: Brian Flores Sues Over ‘Racist Hiring Policies’
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 02:36:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For better or worse, my guess is that Flores' firing and being passed over for jobs is more related to him not cooperating with ownership / management and less to do with his race.  That said, at least regarding the Giants it's pretty clear that they were just giving him a token interview.

I find it interesting that he did this while still interviewing for other jobs.  Hasn't he now given those teams a legitimate reason not to hire him (i.e., he's become a distraction)? 

I was hoping Flores would be hired by the Bears.  He really excelled in Miami with a mediocre QB.  However, I think that he may have blackballed himself here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 02:43:17 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
For better or worse, my guess is that Flores' firing and being passed over for jobs is more related to him not cooperating with ownership / management and less to do with his race.  That said, at least regarding the Giants it's pretty clear that they were just giving him a token interview.

I find it interesting that he did this while still interviewing for other jobs.  Hasn't he now given those teams a legitimate reason not to hire him (i.e., he's become a distraction)? 

I was hoping Flores would be hired by the Bears.  He really excelled in Miami with a mediocre QB.  However, I think that he may have blackballed himself here.

Actually leading up to it, it was reported he was the favorite of the owner (liked that he was from Brooklyn).  That's why the owner reached out to him before the GM was selected.   They then let the GM make the final choice for the head coach.   He went with the offensive coordinator from his former team (which makes sense for a team that needs to better develop their current QB or the one they would replace him with after this season if it fails)

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 02:50:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Actually leading up to it, it was reported he was the favorite of the owner (liked that he was from Brooklyn).  That's why the owner reached out to him before the GM was selected.   They then let the GM make the final choice for the head coach.   He went with the offensive coordinator from his former team (which makes sense for a team that needs to better develop their current QB or the one they would replace him with after this season if it fails)

I would take him back in new england in a heartbeat. Bill B seems to like him.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 02:52:26 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
It is not to say there isn't an issue in the NFL.    Has Marvin Lewis ever gotten an interview after he left the Bengals?   

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 03:21:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If the Miami allegations are true, with the owner offering to pay Flores 100K per loss, then the NFL has a real integrity issue there.  You can't get in bed with the gambling industry then have that stuff going on.   That's exponentially worse than the Deflategate nonsense.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 03:23:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, but the timeline seems to suggest the Giants had drcided on a coach before the Flores interview, and still went through the dog and pony show for optics / tokenism.  They should have at least ended the interview process if they’d decided.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 03:29:26 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yeah, but the timeline seems to suggest the Giants had drcided on a coach before the Flores interview, and still went through the dog and pony show for optics / tokenism.  They should have at least ended the interview process if they’d decided.

How?   The Giants reached out before they even hired a GM.  Not to mention the Giants also interviewed Leslie Frazier twice and Patrick Graham once.   

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 03:35:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

except they can't or they violate the Rooney Rule, which is really the crux of the issue.  The Rooney Rule was put into place to help get blacks opportunities, but it creates the exact issue that Flores is complaining about. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 03:50:53 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Hue Jackson apparently will back up Flores claims about incentivized tanking by providing evidence that the Browns did the same.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-hue-jackson-may-join-brian-flores-lawsuit-claims-to-have-proof-that-browns-incentivized-tanking-200931895.html

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 03:56:18 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

How?   The Giants reached out before they even hired a GM.  Not to mention the Giants also interviewed Leslie Frazier twice and Patrick Graham once.

This. There are two very good reasons why Flores' gripe with the Giants makes virtually no sense. Most notably, they had no need to interview him in person to satisfy the Rooney rule.

I think Flores made a mistake here -- he should have sued the NFL and / or Ross over his time in Miami (if what he states is true), not diluted it with reachy stuff around the Rooney rule at clubs that chose to interview him.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 04:39:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This. There are two very good reasons why Flores' gripe with the Giants makes virtually no sense. Most notably, they had no need to interview him in person to satisfy the Rooney rule.

I think Flores made a mistake here -- he should have sued the NFL and / or Ross over his time in Miami (if what he states is true), not diluted it with reachy stuff around the Rooney rule at clubs that chose to interview him.
They did actually have to interview him.  Graham was not an external candidate so he doesn't count.  Frazier and Flores were both external candidates so they needed to interview both of them and I believe it has to be in person.  Flores was before Frazier as well.  And I believe they had to be in person or they would have had no reason to interview Frazier in person since they had already interviewed him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 04:41:07 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I am not a fan of the Rooney rule. I understand giving more opportunities for minorities but having them fill an interview quota doesn't seem to be the best way. I do think there is two component of this though.

1) Giants GM hiring a guy he knows: That goes with the whole 'staying within the club' mentality. If a problem with affirmative action is that you are not hiring the most qualified person for the job, then hiring your buddy is a disservice for those who could be more qualified but are not in the same 'club' in the Owners, Presidents and GM club.

2) Hiring a Guy Based on Personal Experience: I understand that sometimes you want to hire somebody you personally have experience with, which can be the case of the Giants. This is the case where hiring qualified minorities in Assistant Coach positions can be helpful because they build rapport with people around the league. I believe the league has made a conscious effort on this part but has it translated to legitimate hiring of black coaches? I actually see a downward trend with black coaches that shown flashes like Flores and the Houston coach being fired.

It seems that the ideal situation would be to having more qualified minorities positions of power, such as Assistant Coaches, so they can build their resume and experience. However, when you hear reports of guys like McCown being a potential HC over Leftwich, then there might be something more to it.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 04:56:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's been a head coach of the MIA dolphins for 2 years during that time he was 24-25 with zero post season appearances.   I think those teams were well within their rights not to hire him given his track record as a head coach.   He was not a very good head coach no matter what he alleges.   We all know their are hiring issues in all sports in regards to coaches, but this is not one of them.

Seems like the classic Peter Principle example.  He got his shot and was decidedly mediocre.

Hue Jackson apparently will back up Flores claims about incentivized tanking by providing evidence that the Browns did the same.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-hue-jackson-may-join-brian-flores-lawsuit-claims-to-have-proof-that-browns-incentivized-tanking-200931895.html

Living in Ohio, that is nonsense, for Jackson to say that.   He was a horrible head coach.   Even if that were true, and it is not, they both could have took the high road and refused.  Jackson had a  3–36–1 during his tenure.  Not a good head coach at all.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 05:27:32 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
He's been a head coach of the MIA dolphins for 2 years during that time he was 24-25 with zero post season appearances.   I think those teams were well within their rights not to hire him given his track record as a head coach.   He was not a very good head coach no matter what he alleges.   We all know their are hiring issues in all sports in regards to coaches, but this is not one of them.

Seems like the classic Peter Principle example.  He got his shot and was decidedly mediocre.

Living in Ohio, that is nonsense, for Jackson to say that.   He was a horrible head coach.   Even if that were true, and it is not, they both could have took the high road and refused.  Jackson had a  3–36–1 during his tenure.  Not a good head coach at all.

Two points: First, Flores' team was clearly on the up. Typically, when you are hired as a head coach, you are taking a team that needs work. The Dolphins were establishing a winning culture by evident as two winning records in a row (how many did they have prior?). Furthermore, if the point was to tank, then his record would be even worse and people would say he is a bad coach, furthering hampering his career. I think that is a bad point.

Two: Although Jackson has a horrible record, his complaint seems to back up Flores' allegation about tanking which would be much worst in terms of the integrity of the league in my opinion. That has nothing to do with records.
Baby Jesus!