Author Topic: Reports / Speculation: Schroder linked Chicago, Milwaukee  (Read 8551 times)

Reports / Speculation: Schroder linked Chicago, Milwaukee
« on: February 02, 2022, 07:20:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dennis Schroeder is a name to watch for Chicago. With the injuries to Lonzo Ball and Alex Caruso, and Chicago in a win-now mode, he’s the type of player the Bulls can buy low on for a second-round pick and a player like Troy Brown Jr., for example.

That hardly seems worth it to me.  It saves around $800k for an inferior player without much upside.

The earliest they could send us a 2nd rounder would be 2026, I believe.

To me, this is the type of trade where the return is so low, we should just keep DS for the playoff run and save salary by dumping Bruno on OKC for straight cash.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 07:15:56 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Hoopshype Idea: Schroder to Chicago
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 07:24:16 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Agreed.  Schröder for that return doesn’t accomplish anything.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 07:54:38 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
A second for Schroder sounds fine to me. Marcus is the PG the rest of this year. Schroder isn’t as good, can’t play with Smart, and for some reason has terrible splits when he’s the backup. He walks at the end of the year. Get something for him and play Pritchard - or if you’re out on Pritchard try to get a decent backup PG who can play some D and won’t turn it over.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 08:01:37 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 08:10:31 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A second for Schroder sounds fine to me. Marcus is the PG the rest of this year. Schroder isn’t as good, can’t play with Smart, and for some reason has terrible splits when he’s the backup. He walks at the end of the year. Get something for him and play Pritchard - or if you’re out on Pritchard try to get a decent backup PG who can play some D and won’t turn it over.

Do you think Schroder has any on-court value to the team?  Does moving him hurt our chances in a playoff series?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 08:20:04 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
My threshold for a Schroder deal is one decent 2nd (likely to convey in the 30s) and $ savings that get us the below the tax (since that appears to be a mandate). Anything less than that, just ride out the year with him. I’m not a big Schroder fan, but we can’t just give away a productive bench guy for nothing. I also think there’s about a 25% chance (depending on market) he could be resigned to that 2 year 15 million deal we can offer him with a PO on year 2.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 08:42:40 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
My threshold for a Schroder deal is one decent 2nd (likely to convey in the 30s) and $ savings that get us the below the tax (since that appears to be a mandate). Anything less than that, just ride out the year with him. I’m not a big Schroder fan, but we can’t just give away a productive bench guy for nothing. I also think there’s about a 25% chance (depending on market) he could be resigned to that 2 year 15 million deal we can offer him with a PO on year 2.

Yep, agree with all of this. And if he is available for that contract, we would have to sign him, even if he isn't the best fit. The value would just be too good.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 09:18:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Add what it takes to get White who can play PG.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 09:54:36 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Do you think Schroder has any on-court value to the team?  Does moving him hurt our chances in a playoff series?

Schroder is better than Pritchard so yes, there is some on court value there.  Since Smart has come back and we are more or less full strength, Schroder has been playing a true back up role of 15-20 min per night.  Pritchard could pick that up and it wouldn't a big difference but there would be some on-court loss.

That said, I still see no reason to trade Schroder (or anyone else) just to do a trade.  I am not sure a second is worth it.  I am not going to get all that worked up about it either way though.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 09:55:12 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Of course he has some value. Barring injuries, the answer to this question imho has a lot to do with the person answering opinion of PP. Personally, I think PP's shooting has more value as the J's develop than Schroder's ability to score off the dribble. In an ideal world, we aquire a third swing player who can create offense, in which case PP would be an ideal shooter off the bench.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 10:08:15 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Add what it takes to get White who can play PG.

Love Coby, but that's the opposite type of PG this team needs.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 10:09:52 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Of course he has some value. Barring injuries, the answer to this question imho has a lot to do with the person answering opinion of PP. Personally, I think PP's shooting has more value as the J's develop than Schroder's ability to score off the dribble. In an ideal world, we aquire a third swing player who can create offense, in which case PP would be an ideal shooter off the bench.

Exactly. JJ Barea was such a crafty PG, and PP can turn into him, but just improving his court vision and getting a little more experience.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 10:17:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I might do that if they took Fernando as well.  So Schroder, Fernando for Brown, future 2nd.  That gets Boston out of the tax and Brown could probably fit alright into the rotation and is young enough that he could be re-signed as a longer term bench player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 10:23:31 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Would Chicago trade us back Javonte Green? I believe as of the deadline, it's been a year so they can.

Some other pieces would need to be put in --- but that's a deal i'd do in a heartbeat. Never should have traded him.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 11:07:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Exactly. JJ Barea was such a crafty PG, and PP can turn into him, but just improving his court vision and getting a little more experience.

I am thinking more like a Steve Blake type PG. A setup guard. Blake was limited as a playmaker but he was a steady decision who rarely made mistakes. I see Pritchard having similar qualities. I view Barea as more of a ball-handler, driver, make stuff happen sort of PG. I do not think Pritchard has that in his game.

I had hoped Pritchard's shooting ability would allow him to be a 15ppg type threat as a setup PG and that this would make a good starting quality PG. So far though that does not appear to be the case. He is still too reluctant / hesitant. More like a 10-12ppg (in starter's minutes) the way Steve Blake was. Blake was a decent starter if his team was desperate but usually was more of an above average backup PG. I like that possibility for Pritchard. That is an achievable goal for him.

And if he can up those shooting attempts, I can see him being more than a Steve Blake type PG.

If I compare a Derek Fisher type PG (another setup PG) to a Steve Blake type PG, I see the difference in terms of defense (offensively they were similar). Fisher was a plus defender whereas Blake was more passable (below average but adequate). That allowed Fisher to become a rock solid starting PG vs Blake who was limited to a borderline starter / bench player role. That (defensive reasons) is also why I would compare Pritchard more to Blake. That Fisher example (or George Hill) is a way setup guards can become quality starting PGs.

I haven't given up on PP figuring out how to score more. To get more shot attempts up. He is such a great shooter. Fantastic range. Can shoot from a stand still or off the dribble. Quick release. He has the capacity to get more shots up. The question is does he have the mentality? This is what he needs to show to become a quality starting PG.

But yeah, I like Steve Blake as a point of comparison for Pritchard more than a JJ Barea type. Less dynamic ball-handler and playmaker. More of a setup guard. Strong shooting. Steady decision maker. Low mistake player. Solid, dependable player.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Schroder is better than Pritchard so yes, there is some on court value there.  Since Smart has come back and we are more or less full strength, Schroder has been playing a true back up role of 15-20 min per night.  Pritchard could pick that up and it wouldn't a big difference but there would be some on-court loss.

That said, I still see no reason to trade Schroder (or anyone else) just to do a trade.  I am not sure a second is worth it.  I am not going to get all that worked up about it either way though.

I think a lot depends on what you think of Pritchard. Schroder’s splits as a reserve are not good and he wrecks the offense when he plays with smart and the starters. So my guess is that if Pritchard takes his minutes we will not be worse off.  But if you don’t like Pritchard I bet you can still dump Schroder and get similar production from a cheaper backup - which will also lead to Ime not leaning on Schroder as a “vet” when he shouldn’t. And I’d rather get the 2d than not.