Author Topic: Dyson Daniels Future Starting Point Guard of Boston Celtics?  (Read 1971 times)

Dyson Daniels Future Starting Point Guard of Boston Celtics?
« on: January 29, 2022, 12:26:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I've started to research scouting reports and mock drafts of point guards, particularly those who I think would be a good fit for the Boston Celtics as a starting point guard.  Generally I prefer guards who instinctually are play makers, looking to pass, with ability to drive, can defend, and who have decent size (6'3" plus).

The guy who intrigues me a lot of late is Dyson Daniels. He hails from Australia, and currently plays for the G League Ignite, which produced the 2nd and 7th picks in last year's draft. He is currently slated to go middle to late first round, depending on the mock draft you view. His stock has clearly risen since the start of the season.

He is a pass first 6'6" point guard, with a pretty good handle, who plays good defense. His outside shot form is good but his percentages are currently pedestrian. He has a really nice spin move in traffic, and an NBA style floater. A lot of his passes are spectacular.

He reminds me of Lonzo Ball, but with a better ability to get into the paint and finish.  Similar size.  Does not look to score first which, given our roster, is probably an asset.  Has superior court vision, not unlike Josh Giddey.

My prime target has been Ty Ty Washington, but his draft stock has climbed to the point where he is very likely a top 10 pick and I've seen him ranked as high as 5th.  So seems beyond reach for the Celtics. 

Below is a link to a Stepien article discussing the development of Dyson particularly during the last year, where a growth spurt of several inches and further skill development has the writer speculating a high projection for him as a future NBA starter, comparing him to a blend of Malcolm Brogdan and Dejounte Murray.  That would be pretty cool!

Let me know what you think, and what point guards in the draft you have your eye on.

https://www.thestepien.com/2021/11/07/the-development-of-dyson-daniels/

Re: Dyson Daniels Future Starting Point Guard of Boston Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 01:39:50 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I've started to research scouting reports and mock drafts of point guards, particularly those who I think would be a good fit for the Boston Celtics as a starting point guard.  Generally I prefer guards who instinctually are play makers, looking to pass, with ability to drive, can defend, and who have decent size (6'3" plus).

The guy who intrigues me a lot of late is Dyson Daniels. He hails from Australia, and currently plays for the G League Ignite, which produced the 2nd and 7th picks in last year's draft. He is currently slated to go middle to late first round, depending on the mock draft you view. His stock has clearly risen since the start of the season.

He is a pass first 6'6" point guard, with a pretty good handle, who plays good defense. His outside shot form is good but his percentages are currently pedestrian. He has a really nice spin move in traffic, and an NBA style floater. A lot of his passes are spectacular.

He reminds me of Lonzo Ball, but with a better ability to get into the paint and finish.  Similar size.  Does not look to score first which, given our roster, is probably an asset.  Has superior court vision, not unlike Josh Giddey.

My prime target has been Ty Ty Washington, but his draft stock has climbed to the point where he is very likely a top 10 pick and I've seen him ranked as high as 5th.  So seems beyond reach for the Celtics. 

Below is a link to a Stepien article discussing the development of Dyson particularly during the last year, where a growth spurt of several inches and further skill development has the writer speculating a high projection for him as a future NBA starter, comparing him to a blend of Malcolm Brogdan and Dejounte Murray.  That would be pretty cool!

Let me know what you think, and what point guards in the draft you have your eye on.

+1  Thanks for sharing this info.  I love TyTy and was not really looking at this guy.

NBADraft.net has him projected as the 35th pick to Orlando.

Averaging  11.3pts, 6.2rebounds, 4.4 assists, 1.9stls, .7blocks, 45/25/74 shooting.  This is what would most likely drop him.  He has the absolute size I want for the C's at PG but he has to become a better shooter.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 02:18:57 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
No more overseas players please..looks like another Dante Exum
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 02:27:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There are lots of good players coming from overseas.  There are lots of busts, but lots of gems, too.  Giannis, Jokic and Doncic, for starters.  In terms of big Australian PGs, Exum was one.  Giddey is another.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 02:37:30 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

There are lots of good players coming from overseas.  There are lots of busts, but lots of gems, too.  Giannis, Jokic and Doncic, for starters.  In terms of big Australian PGs, Exum was one.  Giddey is another.

What does him being from overseas have anything to do with his talent?  He's in the G league as well.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 04:25:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Interesting that Sports Illustrated's Jeremy Woo moved Dyson up to 9th in his latest mock draft, maybe the cat is out of the bag. 

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/01/13/nba-mock-draft-2022-paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-chet-holmgren-johnny-davis

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 04:32:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's more athletic than Giddey, which helps him on D, but his passing and playmaking is not as natural. Neither can really shoot. He'd be fun here
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 09:10:42 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I haven’t watched nearly as much of the ignite as I want to before the draft but my initial gut feeling is barring a major jump in his outside shooting Daniels is a solid rotational combo guard but lacks the 1 or 2 outlier physical tools or skills to be a high level starter, especially as a PG. Still a really solid mid-round 1st as a great roster value given his size and potential versatility.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet