Author Topic: 106-0 - yay or nay?  (Read 3225 times)

Re: 106-0 - yay or nay?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
In addition to the mercy for the other team, what about the bench players of your own team?  I would feel pretty bummed out as a seventeen-year-old 2nd string or 3rd string QB if I can't even get a chance to play when my team is up by 80 points.  Maybe those players play a different position I guess.  But those reps at QB in a real game could be useful for the team in the event that an injury happens later.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2021, 01:01:13 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Is there any chance that these teams should have never played?

This sounds silly, but bear with me....

What would the score be between the Celtics and Fitchburg State (for instance) in basketball? How could Udoka make sure that they don't win by 100 points?

One of these teams is clearly in the wrong division this season.

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2021, 01:04:31 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I would run up the score in today's game where everything can go on a highlight reel that could get one of my students a scholarship. Nothing against the other team or rubbing it in, just business.

I a school is relying on a highlight reel from a 106-0 game, then you might have to question the intelligence of the people running that program. 

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2021, 01:45:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My alma mater, Everet High School, is THE most storied high football team in all of New England. During their dominant run from 1997-2017 where they won 12 state Division I State championships, there were a lot of blowouts. But coach John Dibiaso always call off the dogs once up 35 points, regardless of which quarter it was and stick in the jr. varsity team. On a few occassions he had to call them off and put in the freshman team.

And the opposing coaches saw this and appreciated his dignity in winning while doing everything he could not to demoralize the kids on the opposite sideline.

What this coach did in allowing his team to run up the score to 106-0 is appalling. He could have had his freshmen in earlier in the game and only run the ball from there. And the 2point conversion to end the scoring late was disgusting. You woul never see that from Coach Dibs

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 02:42:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The mercy rule was implemented.  They go to a running clock in those situations where it doesn't stop for anything and just keeps running.  That is a big reason why only 23 points were scored in the 2nd half.  But there is no way the starting QB who is going to UCLA next year should have been in the game after the 1st quarter and certainly not throwing passes like he was still doing in the 2nd half.  And I've less issue with the 2 point conversion attempt if the freshman team was out there, at least then you can chalk it up to gaining experience, but your starting QB (which probably means your starting OL as well).  I mean just such poor form.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2021, 04:57:21 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
My alma mater, Everet High School, is THE most storied high football team in all of New England. During their dominant run from 1997-2017 where they won 12 state Division I State championships, there were a lot of blowouts. But coach John Dibiaso always call off the dogs once up 35 points, regardless of which quarter it was and stick in the jr. varsity team. On a few occassions he had to call them off and put in the freshman team.

And the opposing coaches saw this and appreciated his dignity in winning while doing everything he could not to demoralize the kids on the opposite sideline.

What this coach did in allowing his team to run up the score to 106-0 is appalling. He could have had his freshmen in earlier in the game and only run the ball from there. And the 2point conversion to end the scoring late was disgusting. You woul never see that from Coach Dibs

I live in Everett now. After Coach left the program, they underperformed a bit (especially for their standards) but this season it looks like they are back to their old self. They have a new coach and not sure if he is using the old recruiting tactics, but they are back to being a powerhouse.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2021, 05:05:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I live in Everett now. After Coach left the program, they underperformed a bit (especially for their standards) but this season it looks like they are back to their old self. They have a new coach and not sure if he is using the old recruiting tactics, but they are back to being a powerhouse.
My son was best friend's with Dibs son John. They grew up together, so my son knew Coach very well. He is a class guy, who took my son under his wing making him team manger and teaching him about coaching. It's too bad the crap the school department and people in power at the high school threw his way that made him go to Catholic Memorial, which then become a powerhouse and state champion. Will be interesting if it's Everett vs CM in the Div I Super Bowl this year for the championship.

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2021, 01:59:04 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
In amateur and school sports where there are huge disparities in talent between teams, I can see the point of a mercy rule and taking it easy on the opposition. If one team has 8 commits to Tier 1 colleges and the other is just full of duffers, then running up scores of 100-0 or whatever don't really help anyone.

But in professional sports I think it's a different story. If you're getting paid to play sports, or if you are playing another team of the same caliber/bracket as you then pile it on by all means. It's not the job of the winning team to take it easy just because the losing team decided to stop playing.

I'd be curious to hear what some of our foreign members (@gouki88, @Kiorrik, @Kernewek, etc) think about this. When I lived in Australia briefly 20 years ago I took up amateur rugby to learn it and just for the fun of it (yes it was fun until you got stuck on the ground with the ball in your hands) and we played teams that were clearly much better than us and they piled up the scores on us bigtime (them Aussies are really mean  :angel:). Nobody seemed to think much of it. I feel like it's just here in the US that we don't like "running up the score".
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D