Poll

Do These Ideas Make You Excited or Feel Good?

All of the Time
2 (20%)
Most of the Time
0 (0%)
Half of the Time
7 (70%)
Quarter of the Time
1 (10%)
None of the Time
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Greenly’s Trade Ideas (merged)  (Read 90520 times)

Re: Greenly’s Trade Ideas (merged)
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2022, 07:52:53 AM »

Kiorrik

Passing on Kawhi when he was probably available for Brown is the one move that drives me bananas. I firmly believe we’d have won a title had we been the ones to trade for Kawhi instead of Toronto. And I’ve got a feeling joining the Bill Russell Celtics Pride Club would have resulted in him re-signing to have an epic rivalry with LeBron in LA. And Kyrie would have stuck with his enigmatic soul mate in Kawhi, keeping in mind we’d have a Big 3 of Kawhi/Kyrie/Tatum (anybody who thinks they’d rather have JT/JB today is in denial about how badly Danny botched his final years).

Frankly, if people wanna know why I want JB out of here so badly, it’s essentially because I know choosing JB over Kawhi in 2018-2019 is why the Raptors have more titles in the past dozen years than we do. The Raptors. Think about that. And I’ve got a feeling Kawhi/Kyrie would have been the enigmatic duo keeping us in title contention for years including today and many to come. With Tatum still being even more awesome than he is today because he’d be learning from Kawhi/Kyrie, not watching JB take his turn. So on that note…

The dudes who ran the Nets in 2013 are no longer around, so let’s keep it realistic about my preferences for dealing JB at the deadline (all to the West so he’s out of sight when watching the Celtics all but twice per year):

Top Preference
BOS In: D. Murray, Young
SAS In: Brown, Schröder

Why: Murray has the potential to be the next John Stockton. I absolutely adore him and think he would elevate Tatum to top fivedom, and improve the game of everyone around him (something Brown clearly does not do for us).

Second Preference
BOS In: Giddey, as many 1st round picks as we can get
OKC In: Brown, Schröder

Why: Let’s us have space to sign Beal as our number two with Giddey giving us a Big 3. Giddey has potential to be a poor man’s Magic Johnson, but that’s still an all-star PG who makes everyone around him better.

Third Preference
BOS In: Kawhi
LAC In: Brown, Schröder, 2+ firsts (no way to get Kawhi without them)

Why: Top five players win titles and usually cost a lot to obtain. The injury scares me, though, otherwise this would be the clear cut number one.

Fourth Preference
BOS In: Halliburton, Mitchell, Barnes, Len
SAC In: Brown, Schröder, Nesmith, Langford

Why: Halliburton has similar potential to Dejounte Murray. Mitchell is basically Smart’s younger brother. Barnes would be solid.

Fifth Preference
BOS In: Zion, Louzda, Satoransky
NOP In: Brown, Schröder, 3+ firsts (no way to get Zion without them)

Why: Zion is a ticket/jersey seller but I’m skeptical. Doubtful we’d have the shot, anyway.

Sixth Preference
BOS In: Towns
MIN In: Brown, Schröder, 2+ picks

Why: Not even sure I’d do this. Towns is kind of the big man version of Brown in my mind: Really, really good, but not great and doesn’t have the it that wins championships.

All of these moves probably give us better balance and better chemistry.

The hilarious part if the JKJB crew rule the day for a little over two more years: I bet heavily that JB jumps ship for LA or Miami when his contract is done if he finishes it in Boston (and we’ll still have fewer titles than the Raptors do in the past dozen years). And when that happens, guess who peaces out next: Yep, JT. And we’re left with Smart, Timelord and whoever we draft the next couple years. Real exciting to imagine, huh? But JKJB…

Unless Tatum loves Brown and wants to stick with him above all other options, we gotta do whatever it takes to make/keep Tatum happy or we’re up a creek in 2.5 years (that is, we’ll be longing for the days when JT/JB kept us consistently around .500 🤣)

How many Leonard for Brown ideas have there been in the past.  I've often said, they're the same player, just Brown is coming into his own.  OK, well, Brown has now been in the league 6 years, so here's a comparison of Brown and Leonard's 5th year, because his 6th is in progress, enjoy.

https://stathead.com/tiny/iMqRT

#JKJB

Oh holy derp.

That's WAY closer than I thought it'd be.

And I'm a JB fan.

« Reply #256 on: February 05, 2022, 03:21:01 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Passing on Kawhi when he was probably available for Brown is the one move that drives me bananas.

So a total hypothetical, that nobody in the entire world can probably confirm, even the parties that WOULD be involved in it ...

... is driving you nuts.

I hope you're mentally alright man. Cuz if THAT upsets you ... that's a lot.

It’s called having fun as a fan of the most fantastic franchise in sports history. You should try it sometime.

Some folks’ idea of fun is being .500 for two years. My idea of fun when the team is stuck on the .500 treadmill: Looking back on what could have been, and looking forward to a future where we win it all. Again. Like we’ve done many times before. Restoring equilibrium to the NBA.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 04:31:04 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #257 on: February 05, 2022, 03:31:31 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
If the rumors are true that Donovan Mitchell may demand out, this would be spectacular if we could thread the needle with these two big trades:

Trade 1
BOS In: Donovan Mitchell
UTA In: Brown, Schröder, Freedom, however many picks/swaps it takes

Trade 2
BOS In: Davion Mitchell, Barnes
SAC In: Smart, Langford, Nesmith, one or two second-round picks

New nine-man rotation with some epic balance (perhaps we try to keep Schröder for a title run this year? Then again, Jazz are gonna wanna replenish losing Donovan with the firepower of Brown and Schröder, so would rather keep our outbound picks to a minimum by sending Schröder)

Davion Mitchell/Pritchard
Donovan Mitchell/Richardson
Tatum/Richardson
Barnes/G. Williams
Timelord/Horford

The goal come off-season is landing a backup PG since Pritchard is probably not going to become that guy long-term (still like the idea of somehow landing TJ McConnell, but not sure they would take Pritchard and a second-round pick for him). Really think the above could win it all THIS year, certainly beyond, if Tatum and Donovan click. Each off-season add a solid vet at the MLE and we’ll have enough of a supporting cast to continue sustaining Tatum/Mitchell/Timelord as our sort of Big 3 (here’s to hoping Timelord keeps growing)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 03:37:40 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #258 on: February 05, 2022, 03:57:44 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
If Mitchell instead demanded that Gobert had to go, this would be quite nice too (and one of the few ways I can see us getting a Big 3 with JT/JB):

BOS In: Gobert
UTA In: Timelord, Horford, however many picks/swaps it takes

BOS In: Payne
BOS Out: Schröder, 2022 2nd round pick

BOS In: McConnell, Justin Holiday
IND In: Pritchard, Langford, Nesmith

Leaves us next year with a decent, experienced roster, and a solid ten-man rotation, after some low-key signings:

Payne/McConnell/Vet at minimum
Smart/Richardson/Begarin
Brown/Holiday/Vet at minimum
Tatum/G. Williams/Vet at minimum
Gobert/MLE 5/4

That is good enough to win it all IMHO.

« Reply #259 on: February 05, 2022, 03:59:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
You want to trade for a "disgruntled" player by swapping his friend for him? That will only make Mitchell's start here be on a bad note. You need to keep the Jays and package anything else for him and get a third team involved if necessary. You don't move JB for him you try and make a big three

« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2022, 04:02:21 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
You want to trade for a "disgruntled" player by swapping his friend for him? That will only make Mitchell's start here be on a bad note. You need to keep the Jays and package anything else for him and get a third team involved if necessary. You don't move JB for him you try and make a big three

It is impossible to get Donovan Mitchell without giving up Jaylen or Jayson because if we are not willing to do that, someone else will send a caliber of player like JT/JB instead. Donovan is THAT good. If he’s friends with Jaylen but not Jayson, send Jayson straight-up then. That’s our best player for their best player. If it keeps Jaylen and Donovan here for years to come, and they really jive together (unlike JT/JB), just do it. And move Smart if that happens because clearly if we choose JB over JT, Smart will not be able to work with JB.

One thing folks are overlooking with Donovan: He was born in NY and went to school in CT/NH. Bet he was a Celtics fan growing up considering he was only 11/12 years old when KG/Truth/Allen were  making their first run. We’ve got HUGE odds of keeping him for his career. And if he’s friends with JB, well, JKJB because if pairing him with Donovan gets JB to stick here for his career…well, we’ve got a shot at a dynasty in the future then.

My biggest concern with JT/JB: Unless we pair one of them with a friend, they’re gone at the end of their current contract. Then we are S-C-R-E-W-E-D. Totally screwed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 04:11:13 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2022, 04:12:50 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I've been working a few different options for a Beal trade, just for funsies. My basic premise has Horford, Richardson, Schroeder, Nesmith, and Langford (and firsts) going out with Beal and Bertans coming back. By my math this would allow us to avoid the luxury tax this year, but Bertans would definitely complicate things moving forward. Maybe we could rope the Thunder in to take Bertans into their cap space on for a couple future seconds.

I personally doubt that package would hold a lot of weight with Washington, unless Beal said he absolutely will not resign in the off-season and requests a trade to Boston. My question is whether or not we could rope in a third team (Thunder would be the fourth) to include an interesting young player that has been a bit more productive as a central young prospect in the trade. Here are my options:

1. Lakers with Talen Horton-Tucker and Dunn (and a future first to Washington), with Schroeder and Richardson going to LA

2. Cleveland with Collin Sexton, with Schroeder going to the Cavs for their playoff push. This assume the Cavs will not and cannot sign Sexton to an extension this off-season, but would like to make a push now.

3. Minnesota with Beasley, which probably means Richardson (and maybe Horford) going to the Wolves for their playoff push. The other option is with Smart going out instead of Richardson.

4. Kings with Hield (not really young or a prospect), with Richardson and/or Horford going to the Kings as they try to get better win-now veterans to turn around their season.

5. Knicks with Quickley (not a great prospect), with Richardson and going to the Knicks (class win-now move) for Walker and Quickley.

6. Spurs with Walker (or White, or Vassel if Wizards prefer), with Richardson and/or Horford going to the Spurs and Young going back to the Wizards for a buyout.

I definitely think teams like the Lakers and Knicks are desperate enough to make trades like these. Question is which (if any) the Wizards want to build their team around. I really think THT could become very, very productive if he got more and more touches, which could make him a great contract on a lottery team. But again, the Wizards have to get excited about THT or Quickley.

I'm also curious about the Cavs, because its obvious Sexton is on the outside and will not be there long-term. Rondo is not the answer as a backup. Rubio is injured. If the rumors are true about Lavert and the Cavs don't want to give up too many draft picks, Schroeder could be a great alternative. It just seems like more would be needed with Schroeder to make this work, but I could definitely see the Wizards getting excited about him as a central piece to replace Beal.

« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2022, 04:21:12 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
If Donovan is good friends with Jaylen, count me in JKJB. These moves make us title contenders:

Trade 1
BOS In: Mitchell
UTA In: Tatum

Trade 2
BOS In: Giddey
OKC In: Smart, Schröder, however many picks/swaps from BOS it takes

Trade 3
BOS In: McConnell
IND In: Pritchard, Langford, 2022 2nd rounder

New nine-man rotation in 2022-2023:

Giddey/McConnell
Mitchell/Richardson
Brown/Richardson
G. Williams/MLE 4/5
Timelord/Horford

Bench: Nesmith, Begarin, Veteran Minimum Players @ 1, 2 and 5

« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2022, 04:22:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

It is impossible to get Donovan Mitchell without giving up Jaylen or Jayson because if we are not willing to do that, someone else will send a caliber of player like JT/JB instead. Donovan is THAT good. If he’s friends with Jaylen but not Jayson, send Jayson straight-up then. That’s our best player for their best player. If it keeps Jaylen and Donovan here for years to come, and they really jive together (unlike JT/JB), just do it. And move Smart if that happens because clearly if we choose JB over JT, Smart will not be able to work with JB.

One thing folks are overlooking with Donovan: He was born in NY and went to school in CT/NH. Bet he was a Celtics fan growing up considering he was only 11/12 years old when KG/Truth/Allen were  making their first run. We’ve got HUGE odds of keeping him for his career. And if he’s friends with JB, well, JKJB because if pairing him with Donovan gets JB to stick here for his career…well, we’ve got a shot at a dynasty in the future then.

My biggest concern with JT/JB: Unless we pair one of them with a friend, they’re gone at the end of their current contract. Then we are S-C-R-E-W-E-D. Totally screwed.
Think management will get them their guys when they can. They got them their coach of choice already.

« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2022, 06:05:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
G. Williams/MLE 4/5
He has not always looked great as a starter and we would get punished on D.  He's definitely our most improved guy but that would be a huge hole at PF

« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2022, 08:55:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm struggling to wrap my head around comparing DeJounte Murray to John Stockton
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2022, 09:04:36 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I'm struggling to wrap my head around comparing DeJounte Murray to John Stockton

High IQ passing PG who makes all of his teammates better and plays a style he can continue doing well into his 30s. Like Stockton and CP3, Murray will be an elite pass-first PG into his late 30s (barring a freak injury - the way he plays is completely compatible with doing it right until you’re almost 40).

« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2022, 09:53:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

High IQ passing PG who makes all of his teammates better and plays a style he can continue doing well into his 30s. Like Stockton and CP3, Murray will be an elite pass-first PG into his late 30s (barring a freak injury - the way he plays is completely compatible with doing it right until you’re almost 40).
DeJounte Murray is not the playmaker that those guys are. Not at all.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2022, 10:40:11 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

DeJounte Murray is not the playmaker that those guys are. Not at all.

Not yet, but by the time he is 29/30? I like those odds.

« Reply #269 on: February 05, 2022, 10:41:32 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Circling back to Brown for Giddey and picks…

However many firsts would come to us with Giddey, what if we passed them right along to Washington and pulled this off:

BOS In: Beal, Giddey
OKC In: Brown
WAS In: Horford, Schröder, OKC haul of picks

Clearly nobody can still say we’re making Tatum wait by bringing in his BFF and building a Big 3 around Tatum/Beal/Giddey. And talk about a commitment to Tatum, bringing in his BFF and making us the Boston/St. Louis Celtics (imagine the revenue from dominating one of the largest markets without an NBA team, too!)

Those who say Giddey’s shooting is poor: Dude is only 19 years old with 6.1 AST and 7.6 RPG, both comparable to Magic’s rookie season when Magic was 20 years old (and his 3 point average is better than Magic’s rookie season). He’s already a poor man’s Magic and the perfect PG to add to the tremendous firepower of Tatum/Beal.

Package Nesmith/Langford for Theis, and we’re set for a title run now and to come (with $19 mil. in savings, so no worries about the luxury tax until Giddey’s contract is up in three years):

Giddey/Smart
Beal/Smart
Tatum/Richardson
Theis/G. Williams
Timelord/Freedom

Come the off-season, re-sign Beal, bring in a MLE 5/4 (Aldridge?), add some ring-chasing vets at the minimum to fill out the bench, and keep the chemistry going!

Apologies to those who bought a Brown jersey. You’ll eventually get over it when we’re competing for the title again.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 11:02:17 PM by GreenlyGreeny »