Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 564196 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5235 on: May 13, 2022, 06:39:11 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Quote from: Who link=topic=10
5393.msg3037643#msg3037643 date=1652418760
13 turnovers combined by CP3 and Booker

3 bad games in a row for CP3

Yeah cp3 looked so good earlier in series. Is it pressure? He doesn’t even look like He is trying to get to his spot the last few games
He is just old I think.  Can't sustain the great play night in and night out, especially with only 1 full day off between games. Lots of miles on those legs

Yeah, crazy to think that he's 37.

I saw somewhere, maybe Reddit, that CP3 is the only player to have been on four different teams that have blown 2-0 series leads. Playoff success is fickle and he's mostly been on (very successful) also-ran teams, but that has to be a different kind of exhausting.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5236 on: May 13, 2022, 08:52:03 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Boy if Scott Foster gets Game 7 of the Suns-Mavs series, then CP3 and the Suns are really screwed lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5237 on: May 13, 2022, 09:59:33 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
This will be an interesting off season for Philly and James Harden, who has a $47M player option. He is clearly not a max player anymore. However, if he doesn't get paid the max, he will mentally check out the second the contract is signed. Does Harden pick up the player option and try to get into shape again this offseason, in hopes of getting one more max contract?

« Reply #5238 on: May 13, 2022, 10:02:58 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This will be an interesting off season for Philly and James Harden, who has a $47M player option. He is clearly not a max player anymore. However, if he doesn't get paid the max, he will mentally check out the second the contract is signed. Does Harden pick up the player option and try to get into shape again this offseason, in hopes of getting one more max contract?
Assuming Harden actually likes Philly and wants to stay, I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't opt into the last year.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Philly signs him to an extension adding years or money to the back end of the deal though I would be surprised if it was for the max allowed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5239 on: May 13, 2022, 10:05:25 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Kyrie and Harden are eligible for 250M and 270M extensions respectively.

Yeah, they could opt-in to their final years and/or rework the deal a bit to take a little bit less than the max, but either way those guys are going to get PAID and frankly, I'm not sure it's worth it. But BKN + PHI don't really seem to have a choice given their roster construction and cap situations. Both guys will end up getting 200M+ even though Kyrie is a nutcase, and Harden is definitely on the back-nine of his career now
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5240 on: May 13, 2022, 11:45:26 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK

Yeah cp3 looked so good earlier in series. Is it pressure? He doesn’t even look like He is trying to get to his spot the last few games

hes old man sometimes he looks old sometimes he looks great! This suns team i am like how did this guys win 60 games.

« Reply #5241 on: May 13, 2022, 11:46:40 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Ben Simmons and James Harden had the same number of points in the 2nd half tonight

Almost took the same number of shots, too.

very impressed with the end results of The Process as the 76ers have gone from a team that checks notes annually gets bounced in the second round to a team that… annually gets bounced in the second round.

The rare blockbuster trade that makes both teams worse.
Yup

« Reply #5242 on: May 13, 2022, 12:58:27 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

hes old man sometimes he looks old sometimes he looks great! This suns team i am like how did this guys win 60 games.
I think the same thing about the Grizz winning 56 games.  Morant is overrated and they have a couple bonehead players but the Grizz kept winning even when Morant was out injured.  So I'd say the answer can be found looking at the competition in the West. 

« Reply #5243 on: May 13, 2022, 01:05:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Ben Simmons and James Harden had the same number of points in the 2nd half tonight

very impressed with the end results of The Process as the 76ers have gone from a team that checks notes annually gets bounced in the second round to a team that… annually gets bounced in the second round.

The rare blockbuster trade that makes both teams worse.
That's not that rare.  I don't know that the Sixers actually got worse given that Simmons was never going to play for them. 

« Reply #5244 on: May 13, 2022, 01:11:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
This suns team i am like how did this guys win 60 games.
I think the same thing about the Grizz winning 56 games.  Morant is overrated and they have a couple bonehead players but the Grizz kept winning even when Morant was out injured.  So I'd say the answer can be found looking at the competition in the West.

The Grizzlies remind me a little about an earlier Grizzlies team. Those Pau Gasol led teams that won 50 games but got swept in the first round each year. Their 2nd best player was Posey or Mike Miller or someone else.

They won 50 games because they had a legit All-Star big man in Pau Gasol (Morant for today's Grizzlies) and a 10 deep roster (like today's Grizzlies). They didn't have the top end talent to win in the playoffs but they did have the quality in depth to win during the regular season. To play multiple 20mpg guys running at full throttle and outworking teams without as many quality players.

This allowed them to win more in the regular season but are not as well setup for postseason success.

« Reply #5245 on: May 13, 2022, 01:39:05 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

The Process ended when Hinkie was fired 3 years into it after their owner caved to pressure from Silver and brought in old man Colangelo.   Nothing since then has been the process. 

It is true the Sixers keep getting bounced in the 2nd round but they are winning more and are more relevant since the mid 80s.  3 of last 5 seasons of 50+ wins.  Would have been 4 of 5 and possibly all 5 if not for shortened seasons.  The best news for the Sixers is they've got Embiid signed long-term and he seems happy there and Maxey looks like he could become the 2nd young star that they wanted Simmons to be. 

« Reply #5246 on: May 13, 2022, 01:42:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Or maybe they are just better and deeper than you give them credit for.  I mean, I absolutely believe the Grizzlies are better than the Heat. 

« Reply #5247 on: May 13, 2022, 01:47:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Or maybe they are just better and deeper than you give them credit for.  I mean, I absolutely believe the Grizzlies are better than the Heat.

Without morant? I think the grizzlies are close but they do have some completely bone head moments and moments with poor focus because of how young they are. I think this would give them a shot against say a Philly which has effort, focus and coaching problems of their own. It’s hard to not think heat would be one of the teams that takes biggest advantage of their shortcomings.btw I will give you a few tommy points cause I didn’t think the Dallas series would reach 7 and you were only person that did. I do think there is still a pretty good chance suns win game 7 just cause home teams have dominated the series.

« Reply #5248 on: May 13, 2022, 02:03:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Without morant? I think the grizzlies are close but they do have some completely bone head moments and moments with poor focus because of how young they are. I think this would give them a shot against say a Philly which has effort, focus and coaching problems of their own. It’s hard to not think heat would be one of the teams that takes biggest advantage of their shortcomings.btw I will give you a few tommy points cause I didn’t think the Dallas series would reach 7 and you were only person that did. I do think there is still a pretty good chance suns win game 7 just cause home teams have dominated the series.
The post I was responding to was talking about their regular season success, which obviously includes Morant.  I don't think they are better than the Heat without Morant, but with him I do.  You are correct, the Grizzlies are young and make some stupid plays, but they have generally dominated this series and but for some of those mental lapses in the 4th quarter of game 1 and 4, they'd have already won this series instead of being down 3-2.  They are on the right trajectory though and even if they lose to the Warriors (which seems likely obviously) I think they have a very bright future.  They are constructed well, coached well, have talent top to bottom, and are led by a rising superstar. 

I don't know what to make of the Suns/Mavs series.  The reason I picked Dallas was because I didn't think Phoenix could contain Luka, and they haven't been able to, but they've done well enough on everyone else to win the home games.  Given game 7 is in Phoenix, they will and should be favored, but the team with the best player on the floor in a game 7 is hard to go against, even when they are on the road.  Players like Luka are just hard to stop when the game is on the line. 

I will say this, these are the combined points of Brunson and Dinwiddie in the series

Game 1 - 21
Game 2 - 20
Game 3 - 32
Game 4 - 28
Game 5 - 23
Game 6 - 33

They combined for about 32 ppg in the regular season, in the 3 wins in the series 31 pgg, in the 3 losses 21.3 ppg.  If Brunson and Dinwiddie can perform like their typical season average, then I think the Mavs will win game 7, if they can't, then the Suns will probably win unless Luka drops like 50 on them. 

« Reply #5249 on: May 13, 2022, 02:03:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Assuming Harden actually likes Philly and wants to stay, I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't opt into the last year.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Philly signs him to an extension adding years or money to the back end of the deal though I would be surprised if it was for the max allowed.

What is their ceiling moving forward with harden? Especially considering he is going to, at best, get a little worse each coming year.