Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 567675 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5340 on: May 14, 2022, 09:45:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Rumours of Mike D'Antoni as new coach for LaMelo Ball and the Charlotte Hornets. That could be a fun fit.

I hope they keep Hayward there. That could be a really fun with D'Antoni. Their main problem this year was their lack of depth and only legit big man (Plumlee) on their roster. That could quickly become a 50 win team if they sort out that supporting cast next to their 4 main guys.

« Reply #5341 on: May 14, 2022, 09:58:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Middleton ruled out for Game 7

I hate that, should the C's pull this off, this will be the excuse.
Every deep playoff run can look to injuries as an excuse. Toronto's title, Milwaukee's, GSW getting past San Antonio thanks to Zaza, injuries to LeBron's teammates, KG's knee, etc etc.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5342 on: May 14, 2022, 10:02:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Rumours of Mike D'Antoni as new coach for LaMelo Ball and the Charlotte Hornets. That could be a fun fit.

I hope they keep Hayward there. That could be a really fun with D'Antoni. Their main problem this year was their lack of depth and only legit big man (Plumlee) on their roster. That could quickly become a 50 win team if they sort out that supporting cast next to their 4 main guys.

He's 71 years old. Can he handle the rigors of another NBA head coaching gig?

« Reply #5343 on: May 14, 2022, 10:09:15 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

The only reason the Bucks won last year was because of injuries to Harden and Kyrie, so they should be the last team to make that excuse.

Yeah I could care less about the injuries. The Raptors and Kawhi won with a lot of injury help in 2019 as well. Meanwhile the C's have been screwed numerous times because of injuries at the worst times.

Also, the C's have been missing Timelord the last 4 games and probably 5 if he can't go tomorrow. And he's also one of the C's better players so...

It has been an even-playing field. Smart was out, Timelord was out. Cancels out Middleton being out.

Agree. But most NBA fans are going to underrate Rob's impact because he's a lesser-known player. But the truth is if he stays healthy he'll be a perennial dpoy candidate and potential all-star.

« Reply #5344 on: May 14, 2022, 10:09:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

All he does is tell everyone to iso and shoot 3s. Not much else

:laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5345 on: May 14, 2022, 10:24:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

fair enough, lol

at this stage, why don't the Lakers also bring back Phil Jackson to coach Lebron and AD?

« Reply #5346 on: May 14, 2022, 10:25:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

fair enough, lol

at this stage, why don't the Lakers also bring back Phil Jackson to coach Lebron and AD?

Because that entire organization's front office is messed up and filled with drama lol

I'm not saying it doesn't count, but the circumstances with COVID and the bubble really helped them win it all in 2020. Because otherwise even with Lebron they've been pretty meh a lot of the recent years
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5347 on: May 14, 2022, 11:07:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

fair enough, lol

Because that entire organization's front office is messed up and filled with drama lol

I'm not saying it doesn't count, but the circumstances with COVID and the bubble really helped them win it all in 2020. Because otherwise even with Lebron they've been pretty meh a lot of the recent years

Yeah I’m not gonna go crazy with it, because as others have pointed out there are injuries and situations every single year. That being said it was particularly beneficial for a very old team (Lebron, Howard, rondo all played significant roles) and an street clothes davis had three months to heal. I kind of wish the nba had just not done the bubble to be honest. It was gonna be weird whoever won and was not comparable to any other playoffs in history of sport with travel and crowds. How much money did they even get back?

« Reply #5348 on: May 14, 2022, 11:22:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

fair enough, lol

Yeah I’m not gonna go crazy with it, because as others have pointed out there are injuries and situations every single year. That being said it was particularly beneficial for a very old team (Lebron, Howard, rondo all played significant roles) and an street clothes davis had three months to heal. I kind of wish the nba had just not done the bubble to be honest. It was gonna be weird whoever won and was not comparable to any other playoffs in history of sport with travel and crowds. How much money did they even get back?
Apparently about 1.5 billion so most definitely worth it. 

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/10/19/report-nba-recouped-about-1-5-billion-with-bubble-restart-playoffs/

« Reply #5349 on: May 14, 2022, 11:43:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

The only reason the Bucks won last year was because of injuries to Harden and Kyrie, so they should be the last team to make that excuse.

Yeah I could care less about the injuries. The Raptors and Kawhi won with a lot of injury help in 2019 as well. Meanwhile the C's have been screwed numerous times because of injuries at the worst times.

Also, the C's have been missing Timelord the last 4 games and probably 5 if he can't go tomorrow. And he's also one of the C's better players so...

It has been an even-playing field. Smart was out, Timelord was out. Cancels out Middleton being out.

Agree. But most NBA fans are going to underrate Rob's impact because he's a lesser-known player. But the truth is if he stays healthy he'll be a perennial dpoy candidate and potential all-star.
It is an offset but it doesn't equal Middleton being out for the Bucks.  Replacing a top notch 2-way player is much tougher than replacing a top notch one way player.  They don't have anyone to replace his offense or defense let alone both.  Smart only missed one game which the Celts won.  His lost time wasn't that hard to replace.  Timelord's lost time was offset by Horford's and GWill's increased minutes. 

« Reply #5350 on: May 15, 2022, 12:03:29 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

It is an offset but it doesn't equal Middleton being out for the Bucks.  Replacing a top notch 2-way player is much tougher than replacing a top notch one way player.  They don't have anyone to replace his offense or defense let alone both.  Smart only missed one game which the Celts won.  His lost time wasn't that hard to replace.  Timelord's lost time was offset by Horford's and GWill's increased minutes.

Completely disagree. Williams injury has put us in an extremely precarious situation against one of the bigger teams in the nba. (Does any other team start two 7 footers?) We have been saved by horfords defensive brilliance. But without Williams we have to play theis who does not belong in a playoff rotation. Giannis also draws an insane amount of fouls. Just because Horford has been able to avoid fouls (even in a playoff series they are calling a ton of blocks on our team) doesn’t mean Williams loss was not huge. And this isn’t even getting to the game without smart. Pretty surprised you wrote this.

« Reply #5351 on: May 15, 2022, 12:14:15 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Meh. I don’t mind arguing that Middleton is the better player, but Boston suffers a lot here. GWill has 2 points and 9 fouls in his last two games playing starter’s minutes. It’s playing directly into an existing size advantage. For much of the season RWill has been our 2nd or 3rd best player. He’s been a major positive influence on both ends. He’s 3rd in the league in offensive rebounds and a few shot attempts away from leading the league in FG%. He’s a good passer.

GWill has had a few moments and Horford has played really well, but both teams have been missing key, star level players.

« Reply #5352 on: May 15, 2022, 12:31:58 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Completely disagree. Williams injury has put us in an extremely precarious situation against one of the bigger teams in the nba. (Does any other team start two 7 footers?) We have been saved by horfords defensive brilliance. But without Williams we have to play theis who does not belong in a playoff rotation. Giannis also draws an insane amount of fouls. Just because Horford has been able to avoid fouls (even in a playoff series they are calling a ton of blocks on our team) doesn’t mean Williams loss was not huge. And this isn’t even getting to the game without smart. Pretty surprised you wrote this.
Love Timelord and his being out does hurt but it does not equate to Middleton being out for the Bucks.  Smart being out one game doesn't register.  A game that we won by 23 points.  Mathews and Hill aren't guys that you want in a playoff rotation. 

« Reply #5353 on: May 15, 2022, 12:44:03 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Love Timelord and his being out does hurt but it does not equate to Middleton being out for the Bucks.  Smart being out one game doesn't register.  A game that we won by 23 points.  Mathews and Hill aren't guys that you want in a playoff rotation.

Connaughton, Allen, Hill, and Matthews were all major contributors during the regular season, more so than GWill and Theis. If you’re going to argue depth, MIL clearly has more wing depth than we do big man depth. The two you mentioned both have a ton of playoff experience to boot.

« Reply #5354 on: May 15, 2022, 01:23:05 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Connaughton, Allen, Hill, and Matthews were all major contributors during the regular season, more so than GWill and Theis. If you’re going to argue depth, MIL clearly has more wing depth than we do big man depth. The two you mentioned both have a ton of playoff experience to boot.

Agree completely. Middleton is clearly a better player than Robert Williams at this point, but the drop off from playing Williams to our thin frontcourt against a team with lopez, Gianni’s and Portis is huge. Middleton couldn’t have even slightly bothered Tatum last game (nobody could have).