Author Topic: Red Sox best team in baseball!  (Read 7013 times)

Red Sox best team in baseball!
« on: July 03, 2021, 10:03:49 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I know a lot of you could not care less about the Red Sox, however, they are arguably the best team in baseball as I post this topic.  They are currently on an 8 game winning streak and on target to win 100 games.  This all happening without their best pitcher available. Chris Sale is due to be back later this summer.  They don't have anyone worthwhile to lead off and also to play 1b regularly. No one expected this team to be playing at this level.  Maybe the Cs will follow the Bosox and surprise everyone next season.  It's always good when Boston teams are successful. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

Re: Red Sox best team in baseball!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
Oh, and by the way, the Yankees are 9 games behind in the standings.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 01:25:53 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I'm surprised after losing Mookie Betts, the Red Sox is finally becoming relevant again after 2 years.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 01:45:10 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Bloom has done a masterful job with under the radar trades and free agent signings with the likes of Renfroe, Hernandez, Pivetta, Ottovino etc.  Our bullpen has been rock solid and deep, starting rotation holding the fort, and one of the best offenses in baseball.  Nice to see our starting left side of the infield make the all star team.  Boagarts and Devers are having stellar seasons, and JD is having an awesome comeback year.  Verdugo a fun old school player.  I believe they lead the league in come from behind wins, fun team to watch.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 02:33:27 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
Bloom has done a masterful job with under the radar trades and free agent signings with the likes of Renfroe, Hernandez, Pivetta, Ottovino etc.  Our bullpen has been rock solid and deep, starting rotation holding the fort, and one of the best offenses in baseball.  Nice to see our starting left side of the infield make the all star team.  Boagarts and Devers are having stellar seasons, and JD is having an awesome comeback year.  Verdugo a fun old school player.  I believe they lead the league in come from behind wins, fun team to watch.

I believe that over half their 52 wins have been come from behind.  Definitely leading the league in that department.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 02:41:53 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
My random Sox thoughts:

This team has a way about them.  The laundry cart rides after HRs.  They are fun to watch.  Who knows what Sale will give them, but hopefully he makes them better.  If only they could do something about the black holes that are the 8th and 9th spots.  I generally fast-forward my recordings when Dalbec comes up.  The leadoff spot was that way until Kike's recent surge.  I hate that he's such an impatient hitter, but 3 leadoff HRs in the past week, and his heroics last night are making me forgive him ;-).

One thing I like about their future is that their 3 weakest positions (1B, CF, 2B) happen to be the positions that their 3 top minor league prospects play in Casas, Duran, Downs.  Hopefully they get a stud pitcher with the 4 pick in the upcoming draft (Leiter or Rocker).

One thing that has helped is that the team has remained remarkably injury-free <knock on wood>. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:46:57 PM by libermaniac »

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 03:17:16 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
My random Sox thoughts:

This team has a way about them.  The laundry cart rides after HRs.  They are fun to watch.  Who knows what Sale will give them, but hopefully he makes them better.  If only they could do something about the black holes that are the 8th and 9th spots.  I generally fast-forward my recordings when Dalbec comes up.  The leadoff spot was that way until Kike's recent surge.  I hate that he's such an impatient hitter, but 3 leadoff HRs in the past week, and his heroics last night are making me forgive him ;-).

One thing I like about their future is that their 3 weakest positions (1B, CF, 2B) happen to be the positions that their 3 top minor league prospects play in Casas, Duran, Downs.  Hopefully they get a stud pitcher with the 4 pick in the upcoming draft (Leiter or Rocker).

One thing that has helped is that the team has remained remarkably injury-free <knock on wood>.

I've watched almost all of their games this year.  I agree they are fun to watch.  Looking for Leiter in the draft.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 03:21:43 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
My random Sox thoughts:

Even if we don’t draft a starting pitcher with the 4th pick I think our future starting pitching is promising.  Most likely Houck and Whitlock will be in the rotation next year.  I really like the Bello kid in double A.  Mata and Ward will be coming back from Tommy John surgery next year, with also possibly Song coming back from his Navy service.  Lower on the farm Groome is coming along after his own Tommy John surgery, and Aldo Ramirez could turn out being the best of bunch.  It seems like we have a nice mix of starting pitching prospects which it’s been a very long time you could say that about the Sox.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
My first game at Fenway was Dave Morehead pitching against the Indians. The Sox lost.

1963 Red Sox 76-85

The Yankees went 104-57 that year

Two good things about 1963, Yaz made the all star team and they signed a young pitcher as an amateur free agent....Jim Lonborg

1967 Jim Lonborg - 22-9 - era 3.16 - CG 15 - 83 walks 246 strikeouts - won AL Cy Young

Won Game #2 of World Series (def. Dick Hughes)
Won Game #5 of the World Series (def, Steve Carlton)
Lost game #7 to Bob Gibson one of the greatest of all time.

'67 Cardinals lineup had 5 Hall of Famers - Sox took them 7 games
Steve Carlton HOF
Orlando Cepeda HOF
Roger Maris (2x AL MVP)
Bob Gibson HOF
Curt Flood (7x Gold Glove)
Lou Brock HOF
Tim McCarver HOF

Sox just had Yaz...

Carl Yastrzemski ('67 Triple Crown BA-HR-RBI) HOF

So, 1963 was a great year as far as "signing" future Cy Young winners. God the Sox had been awful for so long.

This year these guys are acting like they have "nothing to lose", just having fun and beating up pretty much everybody so far. The 1966 Red Sox were 72-90...so you never know when a team can come out of nowhere.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 05:13:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I’m bigger Sox fan than Pats  ;D

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 05:50:19 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
The '63 discussion by tstorey_97 reminded me of the 1960 MLB opener in DC.  My dad took me to the game and Ted Williams slammed a homer on his first at bat.  Unfortunately the Sox lost, something like 10 to 1.  What a thrill to see Williams in his last season as a ballplayer. The Sox really sucked during the 50s and 60s until the Impossible Dream happened in '67.  They lost the world series but what a great year.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 07:31:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm surprised after losing Mookie Betts, the Red Sox is finally becoming relevant again after 2 years.
This seems like funny phrasing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 11:45:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jinx thread?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 11:51:10 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Jinx thread?

Yeah, pretty much. Boston just got beat by Sean Murphy and Seth Brown. Who? Exactly.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 11:48:40 AM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
Jinx thread?

Maybe before 2004, when they finally broke the curse, but not now.  I enjoy talking about how my favorite teams are performing.