Author Topic: If we keep the 14th pick  (Read 14216 times)

Re: If we keep the 14th pick
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Givony is speculating on the Lowe post podcast that Hayes either goes #4 to Bulls, #7 to Pistons or falls into the 10-15 range.

Maybe... I dont know, not a huge fan of his game(at 14th pick).  Not explosive or quick.  There are pgs with comparable attributes later in the draft.

Hayes is the best PG in this draft (yes - better than Ball)
Agreed

Hayes and Haliburton as well, imo.

Hampton has more potential

IMO, Ball is overrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3qOd8PQvxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=y8nq-wAZGkg
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:26:54 AM by Darth_Yoda »
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2020, 10:51:16 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Givony is speculating on the Lowe post podcast that Hayes either goes #4 to Bulls, #7 to Pistons or falls into the 10-15 range.

Maybe... I dont know, not a huge fan of his game(at 14th pick).  Not explosive or quick.  There are pgs with comparable attributes later in the draft.

Hayes is the best PG in this draft (yes - better than Ball)
Agreed
Add me to the list with this opinion. I haven’t done my homework on Avidja or Edwards because they just don’t seem relevant to us at all and I’m not intrigued by them like I am Ball and Wiseman, but Hayes is my favorite player in the entire draft.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2021, 06:16:03 PM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
What are people's opinions about Tyrese Maxey? I really think a guard is what we should be going for in this draft, someone to provide some punch behind Kemba and this draft seems strong in that area - I think we'll be able to pick up a good guard at 14. I think Wanamaker has given us great minutes but we could probably upgrade here. We need a bruising, banging center but I think one of our later picks can meet that need. And we have enough long, athletic wings in Tatum, Brown, and Langford. I love him but I think because of his size Waters will never be able to be a fixture in the NBA.

Anyway, I watched Maxey's shooting drill at the combine and the stroke looked great - the announcers were saying his release point in college was low but he's been working on it, and he was knocking them down all over the court. Watching him run he's clearly an athlete, and at 6'3 he's got size for the position. Was only a freshman last year, and Kentucky does tend to depress stats and usage because of all the talent. Lots of great players in the NBA now were kind of hidden away at Kentucky.

So what about Maxey?

Bumping this because man I wish we had Maxey.

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2021, 08:32:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we keep this pick?  Doesn't the Stephien Rule prevent us from trading the pick?

“7.03. First Round Draft Choice. No Member may sell its right to select a player in the first round of an NBA draft for cash or its equivalent, or trade or exchange its right to select a player in the first round of any NBA Draft if the result of such trade or exchange may be to leave the member without first-round picks in any two consecutive future NBA drafts.”

https://stepienrules.com/ted-stepien-rule/

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What are people's opinions about Tyrese Maxey? I really think a guard is what we should be going for in this draft, someone to provide some punch behind Kemba and this draft seems strong in that area - I think we'll be able to pick up a good guard at 14. I think Wanamaker has given us great minutes but we could probably upgrade here. We need a bruising, banging center but I think one of our later picks can meet that need. And we have enough long, athletic wings in Tatum, Brown, and Langford. I love him but I think because of his size Waters will never be able to be a fixture in the NBA.

Anyway, I watched Maxey's shooting drill at the combine and the stroke looked great - the announcers were saying his release point in college was low but he's been working on it, and he was knocking them down all over the court. Watching him run he's clearly an athlete, and at 6'3 he's got size for the position. Was only a freshman last year, and Kentucky does tend to depress stats and usage because of all the talent. Lots of great players in the NBA now were kind of hidden away at Kentucky.

So what about Maxey?

This is what happens when a coach empowers a young player (Maxey) instead of stunting them (Pritchard).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2021, 05:32:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I think Pritchard size and ability to get open stunt him more than the coach.

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
If we keep this pick?  Doesn't the Stephien Rule prevent us from trading the pick?

“7.03. First Round Draft Choice. No Member may sell its right to select a player in the first round of an NBA draft for cash or its equivalent, or trade or exchange its right to select a player in the first round of any NBA Draft if the result of such trade or exchange may be to leave the member without first-round picks in any two consecutive future NBA drafts.”

https://stepienrules.com/ted-stepien-rule/
No.  We have all our 1st round picks.  If we trade 2022 1st, we'd still have 2023 1st. 

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2021, 09:20:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Ainge was poor at drafting talent..got a lot more wrong than right
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I think the broken nose to begin the season put Pritchard into a hole and needs to dig himself out of.

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Yep. He probably is a good fit on the court as a fourth option floor spacer, but he can't be your backup point guard that you run your offense through.

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2021, 10:07:47 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Yep. He probably is a good fit on the court as a fourth option floor spacer, but he can't be your backup point guard that you run your offense through.
He's the same size as McConnell who has done fine as a backup PG even without being a 3pt shooter. 

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2021, 10:12:21 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Ainge did fine at drafting talent.  Not great.  Certainly not poor.  Just alright.  Pritchard, the 26th pick, is certainly not a reason to suggest Ainge was poor at drafting. 

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2021, 11:10:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

The 2019 draft and lack of results of said draft is still hurting us.  Add that to passing on Achiwua and trading Desmond Bane and it is clear that he lost some of his magic touch.

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2021, 12:12:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

So what about Maxey?

This is what happens when a coach empowers a young player (Maxey) instead of stunting them (Pritchard).
Or Maxey as a 1 and done young player is just better than the very old Pritchard.  I think it bears repeating Pritchard is older than Tatum.  There is a reason he had to stay in college for 4 years and was still barely a 1st round pick after doing so.  Very very rarely do the 4 year college players amount to anything.  It does happen, but continually expecting Boston to end up with the exception rather than the rule is just not a good place to be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2021, 03:09:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So what about Maxey?

Or Maxey as a 1 and done young player is just better than the very old Pritchard.  I think it bears repeating Pritchard is older than Tatum.  There is a reason he had to stay in college for 4 years and was still barely a 1st round pick after doing so.  Very very rarely do the 4 year college players amount to anything.  It does happen, but continually expecting Boston to end up with the exception rather than the rule is just not a good place to be.

You and I were both in on Maledon, right?  There's somebody having a disappointing year. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes