Author Topic: I'm watching this right now. You should watch too  (Read 67599 times)

Re: I'm watching this right now. You should watch too
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2022, 09:02:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Recently watched the the Amazon version of Reacher.  The fellow who plays Reacher (not Tom Cruise) doesn't say much but he plays a tough guy who I enjoyed.  You might want to check it out.
I found that to be excellent - well worth it for anyone that enjoys action with a bit of mystery/suspense added.  Was a bit hesitant based on the actor playing Reacher --> played Hawk in Titans and was pretty hammy in that part -- but he was much better in this role.

« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2022, 09:08:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Recently watched the the Amazon version of Reacher.  The fellow who plays Reacher (not Tom Cruise) doesn't say much but he plays a tough guy who I enjoyed.  You might want to check it out.
I found that to be excellent - well worth it for anyone that enjoys action with a bit of mystery/suspense added.  Was a bit hesitant based on the actor playing Reacher --> played Hawk in Titans and was pretty hammy in that part -- but he was much better in this role.

I liked Reacher, as well.  I thought some of the dialogue was a bit forced.  It probably sounded good on the page, but having actual people say some of those lines was corny.  But overall, it was a good action / thriller series.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2022, 09:35:55 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
We've gotten into Yellowstone on Paramount+ which is pretty good, but the spinoff show 1883 is arguably better.

1883 pushes the boundaries of decency on the Oregon Trail depicting the conflict between the settlers and cowboys of the time. You do not need to watch Yellowstone (Currently in Season 4) to watch 1883.

I'm not usually this out of the loop, but I only heard that Yellowstone existed maybe a month ago, and apparently it's a big deal?

Yeah, TP for fessing up.

Taylor Sheridan is about to own TV!

Current:  Yellowstone, 1883, Mayor of Kingstown
Future:  Four-sixes, 1932, Tulsa King, Bass Reeves, Lioness, Land Man, Fast

He already has had some hit movie's too; Sicario and Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Wind River, Without Remorse.

I also like the fact, he writes himself in for some bit parts in some of the shows.   :D

I don't want to give anything away, but the 1883 season 1 finale was spectacular!

I'm surprised that 1883 isn't getting a second season.  I suppose that 1932 is its "sequel", but I figured they'd ride the money train as long as they could, even absent a couple of characters.

I've been reading there will be a second season of 1883.  There was a preview, I believe as a lead in to one of the Yellowstone episodes, where James comes through his cabin door, his two sons were in there, and he had been shot.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2022, 09:38:18 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
We've gotten into Yellowstone on Paramount+ which is pretty good, but the spinoff show 1883 is arguably better.

1883 pushes the boundaries of decency on the Oregon Trail depicting the conflict between the settlers and cowboys of the time. You do not need to watch Yellowstone (Currently in Season 4) to watch 1883.

I'm not usually this out of the loop, but I only heard that Yellowstone existed maybe a month ago, and apparently it's a big deal?

Yeah, TP for fessing up.

He already has had some hit movie's too; Sicario and Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Wind River, Without Remorse.

I also like the fact, he writes himself in for some bit parts in some of the shows.   :D

I don't want to give anything away, but the 1883 season 1 finale was spectacular!

Oh ok, so Taylor Sheridan is becoming the Shonda Rhimes of his demographic? I didn't realize he was behind all of these. I loved Sicario and Wind River was good. I have to admit, I started Yellowstone and it hasn't captured me yet.

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2022, 01:19:57 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I usually don’t like the Reacher type genre but I liked the huge bear of a person intimidating crappy people without saying  a word . I love weightlifting ( as long as no performance enhancers are used) as an advertisement of hard work. You don’t have to talk to a lot of losers and just watch them lower themselves to you when all you did was keep up the willpower to keep hitting the gym. It reveals a lot of weak character people, in my opinion and then can just smirk those people off.

« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2022, 01:22:28 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I think I’m going to wait for Hbo max for the Batman. It opens only 45 days later. It’s hard for me to support it with all the WB nastiness.

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2022, 02:06:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, TP for fessing up.

I'm surprised that 1883 isn't getting a second season.  I suppose that 1932 is its "sequel", but I figured they'd ride the money train as long as they could, even absent a couple of characters.

I've been reading there will be a second season of 1883.  There was a preview, I believe as a lead in to one of the Yellowstone episodes, where James comes through his cabin door, his two sons were in there, and he had been shot.

Sounds like there will be "more episodes", but not necessarily a season two.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/1883-season-2-coming-fans-should-not-expect-another-full-season-yellowstone-prequel.html/

It sounds a bit up in the air right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2022, 01:40:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Anybody watching Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty on HBO?  Just watched episode 1 last night and thought it was pretty good, looking forward to watching this every week as new episodes come out.  Thought all the actors looked the part pretty well.  Tell me this is not a good Larry:

Great seeing all the deeper NBA references (like Donald Sterling's white parties and touching players).

Jerry Buss comes off like a rock star
Jerry West like a jerk
Kareem like a jerk
Norm Nixon like a jerk
Magic as mix of confident and unsure (enjoyed seeing him negotiate his contract).

So far, so good. 

Anybody else watching?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2022, 01:53:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Anybody watching Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty on HBO?  Just watched episode 1 last night and thought it was pretty good, looking forward to watching this every week as new episodes come out.  Thought all the actors looked the part pretty well.  Tell me this is not a good Larry:

Great seeing all the deeper NBA references (like Donald Sterling's white parties and touching players).

Jerry Buss comes off like a rock star
Jerry West like a jerk
Kareem like a jerk
Norm Nixon like a jerk
Magic as mix of confident and unsure (enjoyed seeing him negotiate his contract).

So far, so good. 

Anybody else watching?

Yes, I watched the first episode last night and thought it was good. I’m cautiously optimistic that it will be a solid show, since it’s an HBO series and they typically put out a quality product. Will be interesting to see how they portray Bird. 
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2022, 03:44:04 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Boston Celtics games  :D

« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2022, 10:41:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I couldn’t figure out where I’d seen it posted previously so I’ll put it here.  I just watched the Redeem Team documentary on Netflix.  Nothing spectacular, but fun to revisit and see some candid behind the scenes stuff - especially the Kobe parts.  That Gold Medal game against Spain was amazing.  I was really convinced Rudy Fernandez was going to be a star in the NBA after seeing him play.  Very exciting game.
Yup

« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2022, 08:21:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Final thoughts on House of the Dragon?

While some of the time jumps were a small bit distracting, I really liked the first season.  I would have loved even more detail -- sort of like an extended cut of the season -- but I'm happy with how they set the conflict up going forward.  That said, I'll be fine if we don't have to see any more child birth scenes going forward.

« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2022, 08:48:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

While some of the time jumps were a small bit distracting, I really liked the first season.  I would have loved even more detail -- sort of like an extended cut of the season -- but I'm happy with how they set the conflict up going forward.  That said, I'll be fine if we don't have to see any more child birth scenes going forward.
it definitely got better as it went along.  went from a show I was interested in because of GOT and turned into a show that I now find interesting based on its own merits

« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2022, 09:17:49 AM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Evil, on Paramount+.

Mike

« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2022, 11:34:58 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Yes! I’m done with dead babies.

The dragon scene at the end paid off. That was awesome. I also am curious how much devastation Rhaenyra is going to seek. Destroy King’s Landing like Dany?

I know I could prob read the books, but that seems like it would take too much time. I tried the first one and got instantly bored. The show is great for 1 hr per week. I’m not looking to get a PHD in the ways of George Martin, who seems like a weirdo. Love the show!