Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 397960 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #975 on: December 04, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't understand the point of the 30 second rule if no other game action has taken place.  If it is a dead ball and nothing has happened why not allow a challenge until the next play starts.  So 30 seconds or game action. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #976 on: December 04, 2019, 11:39:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I’ve seen the play several times, and I still can’t tell with certainty, if the ball went past the net. For a field goal to count, the ball has to go through the net, and not just past the rim. To me, that shouldn’t have needed a review by Houston, and that whole 30 second rule wouldn’t have even come into play. A play like that should be like the refs reviewing a three point attempt during a stoppage in play, to see if the player was beyond the three point line.

BTW, Harden’s real time reaction to “missing” the dunk probably didn’t help matters, as he immediately ran after the ball as if it was still a live play.
It went past the net.  It went through and spun back up and over.  Pretty obvious and easily would have been seen on replay.

« Reply #977 on: December 04, 2019, 12:02:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I’ve seen the play several times, and I still can’t tell with certainty, if the ball went past the net. For a field goal to count, the ball has to go through the net, and not just past the rim. To me, that shouldn’t have needed a review by Houston, and that whole 30 second rule wouldn’t have even come into play. A play like that should be like the refs reviewing a three point attempt during a stoppage in play, to see if the player was beyond the three point line.

BTW, Harden’s real time reaction to “missing” the dunk probably didn’t help matters, as he immediately ran after the ball as if it was still a live play.
It went past the net.  It went through and spun back up and over.  Pretty obvious and easily would have been seen on replay.

Yeah it's absolutely a goal, the head ref said so after the game. What they THOUGHT happened was the ball bounced off Harden's head or something before it cleared the net and went back up through the rim, which would be offensive interference and no basket. I've actually seen that play happen once or twice.

« Reply #978 on: December 04, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So anytime there is a clear blown call the team should blame the refs for the loss? Weak!

They had 8 minutes left in the game and a 13 point lead still!!

Fact: The Rockets blew a 13 point lead after that “missed” dunk, and the Spurs tied the game before regulation ended.

Assumption: The Spurs wouldn’t have found a way to eventually tie the game before regulation ended, if the Harden dunk had counted.

I didn't see the game but did see Houston had 36 FTs(24 for Harden). Did the refs possibly make a mistake on any of those calls, giving Houston 2 points on FTs? Wondering because if they did, will the league look at those plays too and how the refs made mistakes that benefitted the Rockets?

Once you go back to fix a ref mistake by granting a replayed game, in my opinion, you are opening the door to all the other ref mistakes that happen that affect scores.

Not sure I see the League office giving Houston their do over.

I doubt very much the league will have the teams replay any part of the game, but these are all very flimsy arguments. Harden very clearly dunked the ball, the refs inexplicably called it a miss, the Rockets went crazy arguing but didn't meet the 30 second rule, and then went on to lose a game they seemingly had in hand.

It is irrelevant that they shouldn't have given up the lead in the 1st place or that they are 'mentally weak'. All that matters is even though they played horribly for the remainder of the game after that call - most likely due to feeling screwed - they still would have won by two with that dunk...which was not a judgment call, unlike any of the Harden fouls/subsequent FTs. We would all be very angry if this happened to the Cs.

« Reply #979 on: December 04, 2019, 12:25:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So anytime there is a clear blown call the team should blame the refs for the loss? Weak!

They had 8 minutes left in the game and a 13 point lead still!!

Fact: The Rockets blew a 13 point lead after that “missed” dunk, and the Spurs tied the game before regulation ended.

Assumption: The Spurs wouldn’t have found a way to eventually tie the game before regulation ended, if the Harden dunk had counted.

I didn't see the game but did see Houston had 36 FTs(24 for Harden). Did the refs possibly make a mistake on any of those calls, giving Houston 2 points on FTs? Wondering because if they did, will the league look at those plays too and how the refs made mistakes that benefitted the Rockets?

Once you go back to fix a ref mistake by granting a replayed game, in my opinion, you are opening the door to all the other ref mistakes that happen that affect scores.

Not sure I see the League office giving Houston their do over.

I doubt very much the league will have the teams replay any part of the game, but these are all very flimsy arguments. Harden very clearly dunked the ball, the refs inexplicably called it a miss, the Rockets went crazy arguing but didn't meet the 30 second rule, and then went on to lose a game they seemingly had in hand.

It is irrelevant that they shouldn't have given up the lead in the 1st place or that they are 'mentally weak'. All that matters is even though they played horribly for the remainder of the game after that call - most likely due to feeling screwed - they still would have won by two with that dunk...which was not a judgment call, unlike any of the Harden fouls/subsequent FTs. We would all be very angry if this happened to the Cs.
You are wrong that Harden's dunk wasn't a judgment call. It was a judgment call, just clearly a wrong judgment call. By the refs judgment, the ball didn't go in.

Fouls leading to FTs are judgment calls too and by video review can be shown to be as wrong as calling that dunk a no basket. So yeah, IMO, if the league decides to open this up, where does it end? Do they review every questionable or wrong call in that game? And at what point does it stop? How many games are now going to have to be reviewed and replayed because the refs erred?

« Reply #980 on: December 04, 2019, 12:33:03 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I finally saw a slow motion replay, and your correct.

No way should the league do anything, other than recognizing a mistake like they do with their Last Two Minute report. Harden's constant flopping has effected more games than one missed field goal call. Those bad foul calls put teams in the penalty and effects a players playing time. If this happened to anyone else, I could sympathize, but not for Harden. No other team looks for excuses more than the Rockets.

« Reply #981 on: December 04, 2019, 02:35:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The idea that this call is hugely different than a bad goaltend or foul call that slips through is so weird to me. But whatever, I was really mad when the Blazers got to play 6 on 5 against the C's and netted a point out of it, but I didn't want them to get a do over. I just wanted a better procedure to rectify illegal participation when it resulted in a basket. If the Rockets just wanted something like that, okay. Instead its we deserve a win.

Rockets are truly the greatest whiners in NBA history. Remember their "foul audit" that revealed they really would have won a playoff series?

« Reply #982 on: December 04, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Rockets are truly the greatest whiners in NBA history. Remember their "foul audit" that revealed they really would have won a playoff series?

I don't think it's a fair contest when Mark Cuban's been fined into mostly shutting up lol.

« Reply #983 on: December 05, 2019, 12:23:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Nice Hassan Whiteside line:

22(8-10)/16/7/3

Can we just borrow him on loan like in European soccer?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #984 on: December 05, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
The idea that this call is hugely different than a bad goaltend or foul call that slips through is so weird to me. But whatever, I was really mad when the Blazers got to play 6 on 5 against the C's and netted a point out of it, but I didn't want them to get a do over. I just wanted a better procedure to rectify illegal participation when it resulted in a basket. If the Rockets just wanted something like that, okay. Instead its we deserve a win.

I just think the 30 second rule is dumb.  Play hadn't started yet, why not just review the play at the time even if it is past 30 seconds.  Would have fixed the problem right there and this wouldn't be an issue.

I also agree that the league shouldn't do anything.  I mean should they replay the Lakers/Jazz game because Lebron took 3.5 steps and they didn't call a travel on him.  Of course not.  Calls get missed sometimes, but obvious ones like the travel and the dunk that wasn't should absolutely be reviewable and overturned.  If you are going to have replay, that should be the point of it.

« Reply #985 on: December 05, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

22(8-10)/16/7/3

His BBIQ and skills are below the Earth's crust that our archeologists can approach.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #986 on: December 05, 2019, 08:55:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

22(8-10)/16/7/3

His BBIQ and skills are below the Earth's crust that our archeologists can approach.
Lol. TP!

He's a truly elite rebounder, but is not really good at much else. Can block shots sometimes and is athletic, but doesn't use it as well as he could or should
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #987 on: December 05, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
You are wrong that Harden's dunk wasn't a judgment call. It was a judgment call, just clearly a wrong judgment call. By the refs judgment, the ball didn't go in.

Fouls leading to FTs are judgment calls too and by video review can be shown to be as wrong as calling that dunk a no basket. So yeah, IMO, if the league decides to open this up, where does it end? Do they review every questionable or wrong call in that game? And at what point does it stop? How many games are now going to have to be reviewed and replayed because the refs erred?

I do not think they will replay part of the game and don't really care if they do, but it just seems like you are trying to bring in additional, unrelated possibilities to muddy the waters. The ball went in, the refs missed it, and the Rockets became unhinged after that. I get that people hate Harden's brand of basketball, but that doesn't change the fact that any fan base would be pretty upset. And I do generally think that a foul is more of a judgment call than a made basket, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:31:05 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #988 on: December 05, 2019, 09:36:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I do not think they will replay part of the game and don't really care if they do, but it just seems like you are trying to bring in additional, unrelated possibilities to muddy the waters. The ball went in, the refs missed it, and the Rockets became unhinged after that. I get that people hate Harden's brand of basketball, but that doesn't change the fact that any fan base would be pretty upset. And I do generally think that a foul is more of a judgment call than a made basket, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree there.
Yeah a made basket is not a judgment call.  It either went in or it didn't?  There is no judgment there.  That just isn't the same thing as a foul.  Fouls are judgment calls, but most of the rest of the calls the refs make aren't i.e. did he take more than 2 steps, who touched it last, did it go in the hoop, were his feet behind the 3 point line, etc. 

« Reply #989 on: December 05, 2019, 08:02:29 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Apparently Bertans is also a Sixers killer!
6/6 from 3 in the first half !!