Author Topic: 2023 CS Historic Draft - How's My Team?  (Read 24623 times)

Re: 2023 CS Historic Draft - How's My Team?
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2023, 08:04:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Man you weren't kidding in that length. Impressive.  Mine won't be that long whenever I can finish.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2023, 08:11:13 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
With school starting this week for my students and me, things are crazy trying to get my classroom ready so I def. don't have it in me to write as much as others so I will keep this short and sweet. I didn't have a plan other than taking guys that I enjoyed watching play and building a team out of it. I was happy really with the journey of constructing a team and drafting. 

STARTERS:

PG: Kemba Walker, 2018-2019
Played 82 games; 25.6 ppg; 5.9 assists; 3.9 rebounds; 36 percent from 3. All Star and All NBA for the season

Career accolades: 4x All-Star; Career def. rating of 109.5

SG: Vince Carter, 2000-2001
Played 75 games; 27.6 ppg; 3.9 assists; 5.5 rebounds; 41 percent from 3. All Star

Career: 8x All Star; 2x All NBA; 1998-99 ROY; Career Def. rating of 106.6

SF: Alex English, 1982-83
Played 82 games; 28.4 ppg; 4.8 assists; 7.3 rebounds; 52 percent FG; All Star

Career: HOF; 8x All Star; 82-83 NBA Scoring Champion; Career def. rating of 110

PF: Horace Grant, 1993-94
Played 70 games; 15.1 ppg; 3 assists; 11 rebounds; 1.2 block; All Star; All Defensive 2nd Team

Career: 4x NBA Champ; 4x All NBA Defensive; All Star; Career Def. rating of 104.4

C: Yao Ming, 2008-09
Played 77 games; 19.7 ppg; 9.9 rebounds; All Star

Career: HOF; 8x All Star; 5x All NBA; Career def. rating of 99.1

BENCH

PG/SG: Gail Goodrich, 1977-78
Played 81 games; 16.1 ppg, 2.2 rebounds; 4.8 assists; 1 block

Career: HOF; 5x All Star; All NBA; Career def. rating 103.5

PG/SG: Jamal Crawford, 2007-2008
Played 80 games; 20.6 ppg; 5 assists; 36 percent from 3

Career: 3x NBA 6th Man of the Year; Career Def. rating of 111

SG/SF: Michael Cooper, 1986-87
Played 82 games; 10.5 ppg; 4.5 assists; NBA Defensive Player of the Year

Career: 5x NBA Champion, 8x All Defensive Team; Career Def. Rating of 106.9

SF: Antwan Jamison, 2007-2008
Played 79 games; 21.4 ppg; 10 rebounds; 1.5 assists, All Star

Career: 2x All Star, NBA 6th Man of the Year; Career Def. rating of 109

SF/PF: Josh Smith; 2011-12
Played 66 games; 18.8 ppg; 3.9 assists; 9.6 rebounds

Career: All NBA Defensive team; All Rookie Team; Career Def. rating of 103.1

PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, 2014-15
Played 71 games; 23.4 ppg; 10 rebounds; 1.7 assists; 1 block; All Star

Career: 7x All Star; 5x All NBA; Career Def. Rating of 106.5

C: Bill Laimbeer, 1984-85
Played 82 games; 17.5 ppg; 12.4 rebounds; 2 assists 51 percent shooting

Career: 2x NBA Champion; 4x All Star; 1985-86 NBA Rebounding Champion; Career Def. rate of 103.9
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 09:00:03 AM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2023, 08:41:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm working on a writeup, but actual work plus 2 hour football practices with my son (8 years old, and they're practicing 2 hrs x 5 days!) are cutting into my time.  For now:

1.  Elton Brand 2005-06
2.  Manu Ginobili 2007-08
3.  Andre Iguodala 2007-08
4.  Dikembe Mutumbo 1994-95
5.  Andrei Kirilenko 2003-04
6.  DeMarcus Cousins 2016-17
7.  Mookie Blaylock  1996-97
8.  Isaiah Thomas 2016-17
9.  Reggie Lewis 1991-92
10.  Jamal Mashburn 2002-03
11.  J.J. Redick 2015-16
12.  Mehmet Okur 2008-09

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2023, 08:43:45 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I’ll have a write up and season selections done at some point later this afternoon- dealing with a jury trial the last few days.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2023, 08:59:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'll try and get something up today. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2023, 09:04:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’ll have a write up and season selections done at some point later this afternoon- dealing with a jury trial the last few days.

Settle / plea!  Free up time for more important stuff, like the draft.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2023, 09:29:50 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Years selected.  I'll try and work on writeup later.

PG: Mark Price ('92-93) / Rajon Rondo ('09-10)
SG: Mitch Richmond ('94-95) / Andrew Toney ('83-84) / Doug Christie ('02-03)
SF: Shawn Marion ('05-06) / Michael Finley ('00-01)
PF: Maurice Lucas ('77-78) / Zach Randolph ('10-11) / David West ('07-08)
C: Vlade Divac ('00-01)/ Theo Ratliff ('03-04)

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2023, 09:48:44 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

I thought Price's peak was in the late 80s. He had slowed down some physically by the early 90s after those injuries he suffered. I loved the pace he played with prior to that pushing the basketball, creating fastbreak opportunities for his teammates. More of a dribble drive threat in the halfcourt. I forget which year was best probably their first big season where they won 50+ games.

Vlade Divac is an interesting one. Do you want the bigger bulkier Vlade of his late career or the more mobile defender Vlade of the mid-90s. That 1995 season he had for the LA Lakers was superb. Then some big seasons in Charlotte as a bigger body. To Sacramento when he slowed down some again.

I was watching a game from the Suns vs Lakers playoff series in 1990 when Vlade was a rookie. I was watching for KJ but I was also watching Mychal Thompson because I thought his game would translate wonderfully well as a mobile center in today's league so I was looking at him as one of my top options for a backup center (prior to drafting Sikma). In the game, they ended up starting the rookie Vlade Divacover Mychal Thompson because Mark West was beating up Mychal on the boards and in the paint. West was too strong too physical. Vlade even as a rookie (older rookie) but regarded as a finesse guy and often as too-soft was still more physical and able to battle with Mark West. He did a great job against West.

It was interesting to see because the reputation of Vlade as being a soft-Euro or a finesse-center is the one that hangs around in my mind all these years later. But he was much more capable of battlin physically in those early years than he was given credit for. And even better again by the mid-90s. So I thought 1995 was his best year in the NBA.

Theo Ratliff 85 games played in 2004. I knew there was a guy who played 85 games. I couldn't remember who it was! I have a feeling there is an 86 game guy too. It is a pity you can't select one of his last two Philly years. I thought those were his best seasons but he only played half a season both years.

I'd go title winning years for Toney & Mo Lucas.

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2023, 10:01:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I thought Price's peak was in the late 80s. He had slowed down some physically by the early 90s after those injuries he suffered. I loved the pace he played with prior to that pushing the basketball, creating fastbreak opportunities for his teammates. More of a dribble drive threat in the halfcourt. I forget which year was best probably their first big season where they won 50+ games.

Vlade Divac is an interesting one. Do you want the bigger bulkier Vlade of his late career or the more mobile defender Vlade of the mid-90s. That 1995 season he had for the LA Lakers was superb. Then some big seasons in Charlotte as a bigger body. To Sacramento when he slowed down some again.

I was watching a game from the Suns vs Lakers playoff series in 1990 when Vlade was a rookie. I was watching for KJ but I was also watching Mychal Thompson because I thought his game would translate wonderfully well as a mobile center in today's league so I was looking at him as one of my top options for a backup center (prior to drafting Sikma). In the game, they ended up starting the rookie Vlade Divacover Mychal Thompson because Mark West was beating up Mychal on the boards and in the paint. West was too strong too physical. Vlade even as a rookie (older rookie) but regarded as a finesse guy and often as too-soft was still more physical and able to battle with Mark West. He did a great job against West.

It was interesting to see because the reputation of Vlade as being a soft-Euro or a finesse-center is the one that hangs around in my mind all these years later. But he was much more capable of battlin physically in those early years than he was given credit for. And even better again by the mid-90s. So I thought 1995 was his best year in the NBA.

Theo Ratliff 85 games played in 2004. I knew there was a guy who played 85 games. I couldn't remember who it was! I have a feeling there is an 86 game guy too. It is a pity you can't select one of his last two Philly years. I thought those were his best seasons but he only played half a season both years.

I'd go title winning years for Toney & Mo Lucas.

Price was all NBA 1st team in '92-23.  That was sandwiched around two all NBA 3rd teams and those early 90s Cavs squads were legit.  Price in the early 90s was a force. 

Lucas best season was they year after the title.  1st team all defense & 2nd team all NBA. The only reason they didn't repeat was because Walton went down.

Toney's numbers were almost all up from the title year.  His shooting percentages were better. 

Divac was more difficult but ultimately settled on the more seasoned and savvy early 2000s Kings version which was one of the more exciting teams to watch the past 25 years.

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2023, 10:05:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Bill Laimbeer would be cool to watch on offense in today's league. His jump-shot was excellent and he needed so little time to get it off. Unlike most centers, he wasn't a stand still shooter. He could shoot off of movement. He was nearly unstoppable in terms of getting his shot off because he needed so little space & time relative to most other centers. Three point range back then. He'd be even better offensively in today's NBA.

I always wanted Memo Okur and Andrea Bargnani to copy Laimbeer more in terms of how they played defense. Learn to use that physcality. Learn better positioning off ball. None were above the rim shot-blocker types. I wonder how well Laimbeer does defensively in today's league. His lack of athleticism more of an issue but he probably does better than I think. Smart player.

I loved that PnP game between Laimbeer & Zeke. Laimbeer was so important in terms of generating good spacing for others on the Pistons. For Dantley's isos. For James Edwards post play. Without Laimbeer, their bigs were too limited to the paint area (Mahorn, Edwards, Salley, Rodman). Laimbeer was the guy who made a lot of things work in terms of team play & spacing. Good passer too.

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2023, 11:30:27 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Bill Laimbeer would be cool to watch on offense in today's league. His jump-shot was excellent and he needed so little time to get it off. Unlike most centers, he wasn't a stand still shooter. He could shoot off of movement. He was nearly unstoppable in terms of getting his shot off because he needed so little space & time relative to most other centers. Three point range back then. He'd be even better offensively in today's NBA.

I always wanted Memo Okur and Andrea Bargnani to copy Laimbeer more in terms of how they played defense. Learn to use that physcality. Learn better positioning off ball. None were above the rim shot-blocker types. I wonder how well Laimbeer does defensively in today's league. His lack of athleticism more of an issue but he probably does better than I think. Smart player.

I loved that PnP game between Laimbeer & Zeke. Laimbeer was so important in terms of generating good spacing for others on the Pistons. For Dantley's isos. For James Edwards post play. Without Laimbeer, their bigs were too limited to the paint area (Mahorn, Edwards, Salley, Rodman). Laimbeer was the guy who made a lot of things work in terms of team play & spacing. Good passer too.

I hate Bill Laimbeer. But he was a heck of a player. Very smart. Got in guys heads. Like you said really allowed the Pistons to do quite a bit of what made them so successful/

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2023, 12:08:51 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Haha wow gouki! Is that the expectation? I'll work on that today.  ;D
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2023, 12:25:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Denver Nuggets

Guards

Kevin Johnson - 1989-90
Gus Williams - 1978-79
Fred Brown - 1976-77
Eddie Jones - 1998-99
Rolando Blackman - 1984-85

Small Forwards

Bernard King - 1983-84
Bob Dandridge - 1977-78

Big Men

Alonzo Mourning - 1999-00
Vin Baker - 1997-98
Danny Manning - 1991-92
Jack Sikma - 1981-82
Clifford Robinson - 1997-98

This is a top 3 team for me. I love this Big 3 of Zo, King and KJ and I like the fit of the guys around them.

Who is the starting SG? Your sig has Blackmon listed first but here it’s Brown, and Eddie Jones was the highest pick of the 3.

No idea. No settled starting lineup.

Not settled on the SG or the PF starting slots. I like Danny Manning as my best PF (to stretch the floor & enable ball movement) but I love him off the bench as someone who can change the complexion of the game. So still tempted by starting Vin Baker.

I have a strange love / hate thing with Eddie Jones. I thought I was over it. So I drafted him. I wasn't. I don't know. Rolando Blackman was actually my alternative choice to Eddie if I didn't draft him in the 4th round. If I drafted a big instead and left the SG slot until the 6th round, Blackman was going to be my first choice. So the gap between the two is pretty small in my mind.

Plus, I am tempted by letting Freddie Brown shoot a load of 3s. I reckon he is my best offensive SG. He has the best handles, best passing, best outside shooting. He is the most skilled SG. F Brown is an okay defender but Blackman is above average and Eddie is elite. I like Freddie in that lead backup SG slot. Major firepower. And he actually played as a 6th man and instant-offense role on a title winner so we know he can handle that role well.

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2023, 12:29:53 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Denver Nuggets

Guards

Kevin Johnson - 1989-90
Gus Williams - 1978-79
Fred Brown - 1976-77
Eddie Jones - 1998-99
Rolando Blackman - 1984-85

Small Forwards

Bernard King - 1983-84
Bob Dandridge - 1977-78

Big Men

Alonzo Mourning - 1999-00
Vin Baker - 1997-98
Danny Manning - 1991-92
Jack Sikma - 1981-82
Clifford Robinson - 1997-98

This is a top 3 team for me. I love this Big 3 of Zo, King and KJ and I like the fit of the guys around them.

Who is the starting SG? Your sig has Blackmon listed first but here it’s Brown, and Eddie Jones was the highest pick of the 3.

No idea. No settled starting lineup.

Not settled on the SG or the PF starting slots. I like Danny Manning as my best PF (to stretch the floor & enable ball movement) but I love him off the bench as someone who can change the complexion of the game. So still tempted by starting Vin Baker.

I have a strange love / hate thing with Eddie Jones. I thought I was over it. So I drafted him. I wasn't. I don't know. Rolando Blackman was actually my alternative choice to Eddie if I didn't draft him in the 4th round. If I drafted a big instead and left the SG slot until the 6th round, Blackman was going to be my first choice. So the gap between the two is pretty small in my mind.

Plus, I am tempted by letting Freddie Brown shoot a load of 3s. I reckon he is my best offensive SG. He has the best handles, best passing, best outside shooting. He is the most skilled SG. F Brown is an okay defender but Blackman is above average and Eddie is elite. I like Freddie in that lead backup SG slot. Major firepower. And he actually played as a 6th man and instant-offense role on a title winner so we know he can handle that role well.

Question on Freddie since I overlooked him -- and purely a real question rather than an intended knock -- how much of his stats drop-off post-merger was him starting to slow down (which it seems like started happening after that year) versus the change in competition versus DJ showing up and lowering his shots from 20 per game to 15? Seems like he lost his All-Star season but kept his skillset. He just had a future HOFer show up.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2023, 12:31:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I thought Ratliff's 85 had to be a record only to learn that Walt Bellamy played in 88 games in the 68-69 sesson.  35 games with the Knicks and 53 games with the Pistons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip