Author Topic: In Praise of Kyrie Irving  (Read 11366 times)

Re: In Praise of Kyrie Irving
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Over the last 5 games, he is averaging 29.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.6 spg, 1 bpg, with only 2.4 topg. He is doing this on 56/53/95 shooting splits.

He's made great defensive plays and timely shots. He is a special player.

I'm gonna ignore the constant negativity and bump the original post. Irving has had an amazingly special 5 game stretch. He deserves recognition from fans.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Why do people constantly nitpick and bring negativity into a thread that clearly states, "In Praise of Kyrie Irving?"

If you don't like Irving, then fine, make your own thread. I can certainly appreciate the fact that he's been awe-inspiring, and putting the team on his back when Hayward, Brown, and Tatum have been non-existent.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
He was also -12 until the last 4 minutes of the game last night.  He can take over in short bursts, but he also gives up a lot of points on the other end.  He is just a bigger version of Thomas.

In the same way Durant is a bigger version of Kris Middleton, or Draymond Green is a bigger version of Justice Winslow, or Anthony Davis is a bigger version of Jerami Grant, or Lebron James is a bigger version of Evan Turner.
Not at all.  Sure those guys are all bigger, but they are also significantly more skilled, better all around players, etc.  Irving and Thomas are essentially the same player.  They are poor defenders, don't rebound well, aren't great passers, but are superb scorers and ball handlers.  They turn it on in the 4th quarter and are clutch, but they slack off for much of the first 3 quarters such that maybe they wouldn't need late game heroics if they were just better for most of the game. 

Irving is a good to great player, but he isn't a #1 on a title team type player.  He isn't carrying a franchise to great playoff success.  I mean the C's were 1 game away from the Finals without Irving.  The regular season win percentage was only slightly better with Irving than with Rozier leading the way, and that includes the unsustainable 15-2 start to last year (Irving missed a game) .  You take that start out and Boston was actually worse with Irving than with Rozier (I know you can't do that, but the point remains).  The Cavs basically didn't replace Irving, had all kinds of injuries and turmoil, and basically ended up with the exact same record and still made the Finals.  The loss of Irving had basically no effect on the Cavs performance last year. 

And I have been beating this drum since before the trade was made so it isn't some new reactionary thing.  Irving's actual effect on wins and losses isn't anywhere near what the vast majority of this board thinks it is.

Come on man. The year before you touted how the 5 game series against the Warriors was actually close. They got absolutely steamrolled in a 4 game sweep at the hands of the warriors with only one close game without Irving and completely lacked firepower. Worse, they lost 1 playoff game against the eastern conference with Irving. They lost 6 last year and as everyone on this blog knows, probably deserved to lose to the Celtics and not even make the finals. They absolutely missed Irving last year and were not the same caliber of team, especially in the playoffs. I also know you know this given how close you follow the team so I am pretty perplexed why you would write this.

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Why do people constantly nitpick and bring negativity into a thread that clearly states, "In Praise of Kyrie Irving?"

If you don't like Irving, then fine, make your own thread. I can certainly appreciate the fact that he's been awe-inspiring, and putting the team on his back when Hayward, Brown, and Tatum have been non-existent.

TP....saved me from say n all the above.

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Just rewatched the end (JUST the end) of the Suns game.

In about a 5 minute stretch from ~1:30 left in regulation to ~1:30 left in OT, Kyrie had:

11 pts on 5-5 shooting
3 assists (should've had 4 but for Brown's first layup getting blocked late in regulation)
2 steals
1 block

The team went from -8 to +5 in that span. Kyrie scored or assisted on 19, should've been 21, of 27 total points, plus forced 3 turnovers.  What an absurd run of brilliant ball he put together there.

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 02:52:53 PM »

• Paul Silas

In about a 5 minute stretch from ~1:30 left in regulation to ~1:30 left in OT, Kyrie had:

11 pts on 5-5 shooting
3 assists (should've had 4 but for Brown's first layup getting blocked late in regulation)
2 steals
1 block

The team went from -8 to +5 in that span. Kyrie scored or assisted on 19, should've been 21, of 27 total points, plus forced 3 turnovers.  What an absurd run of brilliant ball he put together there.

He was awesome. TP for these stats.

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

11 pts on 5-5 shooting
2 steals
1 block

He absolutely was fantastic during that stretch it is the rest of the game I take issue with when he was -6 and shot 8 of 23 with 3 assists, 1 steal, and 3 turnovers (he was at least active on the boards).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:20:45 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 03:38:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm dedicating this classic to Kyrie Irving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHpk9krUJBI&list=RDVHpk9krUJBI&start_radio=1

Flat Earth, Round Earth, ET phoning home, whatever -

His play as of late has been OUT OF THIS WORLD.

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2018, 03:50:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Irving is so good. I love watching him play. Better, he seems to really like Boston and has embraced the city.

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

11 pts on 5-5 shooting
2 steals
1 block

Amazing run down the cluch.

Kyrie just doesn't have the instincts to ever be an All NBA Defender but so far this season I'm been happy with his defense. I think he's been good.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2018, 04:32:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Because that's the nature of this board. Why let a small corner of positivity exist when you can be a fly in the ointment instead?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Over the last 5 games, he is averaging 29.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.6 spg, 1 bpg, with only 2.4 topg. He is doing this on 56/53/95 shooting splits.

He's made great defensive plays and timely shots. He is a special player.

I'm gonna ignore the constant negativity and bump the original post. Irving has had an amazingly special 5 game stretch. He deserves recognition from fans.
Ever since the haircut ;)

He's been awesome. The people still trying to rag on him in this thread are funny
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 07:12:51 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
He was also -12 until the last 4 minutes of the game last night.  He can take over in short bursts, but he also gives up a lot of points on the other end.  He is just a bigger version of Thomas.
How not to use +/-.

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 07:41:59 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
TP to DefenseWinsChamps

Not for this thread in particular but for your posts in general, your understanding of the game and how it is played shines through ,they are enjoyable to read.

Keep posting please.

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 09:35:57 AM »

• Paul Silas
TP to DefenseWinsChamps

Not for this thread in particular but for your posts in general, your understanding of the game and how it is played shines through ,they are enjoyable to read.

Keep posting please.

Aww shucks  ;D