Author Topic: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages  (Read 9350 times)

Re: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2020, 02:30:04 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
This is such a great thread.

Hayward, a white man, picks a Message to wear on his jersey, and people give their opinions on his choice. The OUTRAGE!!

I hope the irony is not missed that this is all in the context of a social justice movement with a 'are you with us or not' implication.

The social justice fight by a people who are judged everyday negatively NOT because of choices they have made but because of the COLOR they were born with.

Pretty interesting..... learning moment.  Hayward is 'experiencing' based on a choice he made, a miniscule of what black people experience based on the color of their skin. He is getting some scrutiny on social media (he probably does not even know about it) black people get denied housing, loans, get pulled over, get beat up, not because of their choices, but the color of their skin. Spare the outrage, please.

Not everyone who voices an opinion is outraged. Sometimes if you get called out on something that is flawed or incorrect it can feel magnified though. I get that.

« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2020, 04:08:10 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
This is such a great thread.

Hayward, a white man, picks a Message to wear on his jersey, and people give their opinions on his choice. The OUTRAGE!!

I hope the irony is not missed that this is all in the context of a social justice movement with a 'are you with us or not' implication.

The social justice fight by a people who are judged everyday negatively NOT because of choices they have made but because of the COLOR they were born with.

Pretty interesting..... learning moment.  Hayward is 'experiencing' based on a choice he made, a miniscule of what black people experience based on the color of their skin. He is getting some scrutiny on social media (he probably does not even know about it) black people get denied housing, loans, get pulled over, get beat up, not because of their choices, but the color of their skin. Spare the outrage, please.

You could argue the same irony exists considering the NBA is waving a social justice flag despite the current situation in China and the NBAs financial/business relationship in the country.  Especially considering the news that’s been coming out about the NBAs facilities in China.

I can agree with you that the problems black folks have had to deal with is far worse than what people are talking with Gordon, but the outrage that some people are choosing to fight racism with more racism won’t be sparred. The fact that some people can’t see that what they’re saying is inherently racist while they’re talking about racial sensitivity is particularly alarming.

It’s another interesting learning moment...
Greg

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2020, 04:33:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This just seems hollow coming from somebody who repeatedly seemed to excuse anti-semitism under the argument that anti-Semitic celebrities weren’t experts, no nobody should care when they’re ignorant.  Isn’t GH entitled to the same deference an anti-Semitist is?  The key difference is that Gordo hasn’t said a word that implies he’s racist.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2020, 05:07:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
thought this was worth posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJaL8tfPhw

Hey, we're all Celtic fans. Let's think positively about our players.

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
thought this was worth posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJaL8tfPhw

Hey, we're all Celtic fans. Let's think positively about our players.

That’s great and all, but his wife donated (a very, very small amount relative to their income) to the Republican Party four years ago. So he’s clearly racist. His choice of approved messages only confirms this.

/sarcasm

Nice video. Gordon seems like a good dude, definitely gave those kids something to remember for a long time. Sad his “Education Reform” is getting turned into something. I see a lot of top stars are not choosing anything and they are not getting any backlash. Gordon chooses something and it’s not good enough to some.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2020, 07:07:30 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Just turned on the Pels and Jazz.  I get the sentiment and all, but the names are very confusing for my pea brain.  I know a lot of the starters by recognition, but I dunno.  A little strange and contrived.
Yup

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2020, 07:14:51 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Just turned on the Pels and Jazz.  I get the sentiment and all, but the names are very confusing for my pea brain.  I know a lot of the starters by recognition, but I dunno.  A little strange and contrived.

I think they're a bad idea all the way around—they have a narrow focus to the exclusion of many other causes/issues, they're hard to read, and they're causing more division.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2020, 07:26:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

This just seems hollow coming from somebody who repeatedly seemed to excuse anti-semitism under the argument that anti-Semitic celebrities weren’t experts, no nobody should care when they’re ignorant.  Isn’t GH entitled to the same deference an anti-Semitist is?  The key difference is that Gordo hasn’t said a word that implies he’s racist.

I will not letyou  credit me with words I did not post without a response. I never posted Hayward was or is a racist. You need to stop posting that I did. You either link the post, or stop saying it exists.

I never defended Desean Jackson, you should stop posting that I did, or link the post.

There should be a rule against what you are doing. Again, post where I defended Desean Jackson, or stop repeating that I did. Post where I called Gordon a racist, or stop repeating that I did.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:31:55 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2020, 09:07:07 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

What do you do when there's no names on the jerseys (Yankees anywhere, Red Sox at home, USC football, Penn State football, Notre Dame football, Indiana Hoosiers basketball, etc.)

Not a problem from where I'm sitting, but maybe it's just my massive birdbrain  :D

Seriously though, for me, barely noticing, definitely not distracting or confusing.  Though I normally can't make out the names anyway during regular play.  Maybe I need a bigger TV.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2020, 09:11:02 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

What do you do when there's no names on the jerseys (Yankees anywhere, Red Sox at home, USC football, Penn State football, Notre Dame football, Indiana Hoosiers basketball, etc.)

Not a problem from where I'm sitting, but maybe it's just my massive birdbrain  :D

Seriously though, for me, barely noticing, definitely not distracting or confusing.

Baseball is different.  I can identify players by the position.  It’s definitely not a big deal, I just know that a lot of the time I look to shirt names for ID.  Especially when guys check in.  I’ll get over it!
Yup

« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2020, 09:32:27 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Seriously though, for me, barely noticing, definitely not distracting or confusing.

Baseball is different.  I can identify players by the position.  It’s definitely not a big deal, I just know that a lot of the time I look to shirt names for ID.  Especially when guys check in.  I’ll get over it!

I'll tell you my little brain can't handle though, players that opted out of a message (PG, Kawhi, LeBron, AD) have their names underneath the number, while the other players have their message above their number.  I can handle the messages, I can't handle the non-uniformity.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2020, 11:42:30 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
So many viewpoints since I last posted on page 1 or so...I've read just about every post since then.

From my "initial" post early I can say that Gordon Hayward's label IS NEEDED....whether or not we need to go as far as the vaunted (and controversial) 1619 Project can be discussed ad infinitum but there DOES NEED to be reform in Education....needs to be balanced.

Needs to be MORE ACCESSIBLE to EVERYONE....not just the folks in the suburbs....

I've stated before on here - I learned more about my history as it pertains to being Black or African American in this country from my SHIPMATES in the Navy AND my Church....

Is this a good thing? Probably not....my education in the Public School System SHOULD HAVE been a SPRINGBOARD to deeper understanding....but it wasn't. I left high school feeling ready for the world....but in retrospect it could have...should have? been better.....

As for the Hayward's choice of Presidential Candidates? In 2016? I fault neither he nor his wife for their choice. We don't even know "IF" he STILL supports Trump....whether or not this IS his right....

Gordon Hayward's chops have been EARNED in the NBA...with the mostly Black teammates he's had in Utah AND in BOS....NO record of dissent or bad words about him.

GH was reportedly on Kyrie Irving's shortlist to play with....was on Paul George's as well. I bet it STILL is.....

Dude suffered a GRUESOME injury...before it was a bonafide All-Star. He is AGAIN approaching that level, thankfully.

I've met a FEW Trump supporters...one old White man near 80 would come up in my place of work and talk to me so respectfully...kind of reminded me of an Uncle.....but he had an unwavering support of Trump. He knew I supported Obama as well....knew I voted for Hillary.

Dude ALWAYS was respectful to me even though we disagreed. Loved that dude. Mr. Frank.

I don't fault GH and his wife for their political choice. Every Trump supporter is NOT racist.

I fully support GH's jersey choice of Education Reform. It is needed. They deserve their privacy of political choice.

I sincerely hope Gordon Hayward is in Boston a LONG time. The team is simply better with him.

TP Green. My sentiments exactly.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2020, 12:42:01 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
It's odd to me that Hayward's skin color is the impetus for all this discussion, though. He's literally being judged differently based on the color of his skin. And if you want to say "you can't be racist against a white man because of power structure", ask yourself if Hayward is really in a position of power here or in a delicate position relative to the majority of his peers.

I also object to people saying that his message is ok as long as he explains that it means what they want it to mean. There's an assumed moral superiority to certain political statements over others, which is an attitude that may belong in religion, but not in mainstream politics.

Holy s#it!! You're right - because Gordon is outnumbered by black people in the league and having his decisions monitored by bored forum-nerds he MUST be the VICTIM of racism.

Got it.

Is that what I said?

Seems like you've mistakenly used empty sarcasm in place of any salient point. Didn't even dispute my statement or critique my path to conclusion. Just exaggerated what you assume is my larger intention to make it seem unreasonable. That won't work with me.

So serious! I was just messing around that you were seriously trying to imply that Gordon was the victim of systemic racism (as opposed to just having his decision about his choice of SJW message discussed a little differently because he's a white dude).

I take offense to the empty sarcasm slur, by the way. My sarcasm is always full to the brim, overflowing with contempt and beauty.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2020, 01:32:15 AM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
So many viewpoints since I last posted on page 1 or so...I've read just about every post since then.

From my "initial" post early I can say that Gordon Hayward's label IS NEEDED....whether or not we need to go as far as the vaunted (and controversial) 1619 Project can be discussed ad infinitum but there DOES NEED to be reform in Education....needs to be balanced.

Needs to be MORE ACCESSIBLE to EVERYONE....not just the folks in the suburbs....

I've stated before on here - I learned more about my history as it pertains to being Black or African American in this country from my SHIPMATES in the Navy AND my Church....

Is this a good thing? Probably not....my education in the Public School System SHOULD HAVE been a SPRINGBOARD to deeper understanding....but it wasn't. I left high school feeling ready for the world....but in retrospect it could have...should have? been better.....

As for the Hayward's choice of Presidential Candidates? In 2016? I fault neither he nor his wife for their choice. We don't even know "IF" he STILL supports Trump....whether or not this IS his right....

Gordon Hayward's chops have been EARNED in the NBA...with the mostly Black teammates he's had in Utah AND in BOS....NO record of dissent or bad words about him.

GH was reportedly on Kyrie Irving's shortlist to play with....was on Paul George's as well. I bet it STILL is.....

Dude suffered a GRUESOME injury...before it was a bonafide All-Star. He is AGAIN approaching that level, thankfully.

I've met a FEW Trump supporters...one old White man near 80 would come up in my place of work and talk to me so respectfully...kind of reminded me of an Uncle.....but he had an unwavering support of Trump. He knew I supported Obama as well....knew I voted for Hillary.

Dude ALWAYS was respectful to me even though we disagreed. Loved that dude. Mr. Frank.

I don't fault GH and his wife for their political choice. Every Trump supporter is NOT racist.

I fully support GH's jersey choice of Education Reform. It is needed. They deserve their privacy of political choice.

I sincerely hope Gordon Hayward is in Boston a LONG time. The team is simply better with him.

TP Green. My sentiments exactly.

TP...    GreenFaith...                      I'm with ozgood,    I couldn't agree more...

« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2020, 08:27:48 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It's odd to me that Hayward's skin color is the impetus for all this discussion, though. He's literally being judged differently based on the color of his skin. And if you want to say "you can't be racist against a white man because of power structure", ask yourself if Hayward is really in a position of power here or in a delicate position relative to the majority of his peers.

I also object to people saying that his message is ok as long as he explains that it means what they want it to mean. There's an assumed moral superiority to certain political statements over others, which is an attitude that may belong in religion, but not in mainstream politics.

Holy s#it!! You're right - because Gordon is outnumbered by black people in the league and having his decisions monitored by bored forum-nerds he MUST be the VICTIM of racism.

Got it.

Is that what I said?

Seems like you've mistakenly used empty sarcasm in place of any salient point. Didn't even dispute my statement or critique my path to conclusion. Just exaggerated what you assume is my larger intention to make it seem unreasonable. That won't work with me.

So serious! I was just messing around that you were seriously trying to imply that Gordon was the victim of systemic racism (as opposed to just having his decision about his choice of SJW message discussed a little differently because he's a white dude).

I take offense to the empty sarcasm slur, by the way. My sarcasm is always full to the brim, overflowing with contempt and beauty.

Oh. You were trying to be funny. My bad.