Author Topic: One silver lining: Sullinger just keeps improving.  (Read 12585 times)

One silver lining: Sullinger just keeps improving.
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:04:13 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Nine points and six and a half boards a game in the last five games. He continues to improve in nearly every game. This guy is proving to be a sick rebounder. Like so sick he will lead the league in rebounding one day. Additionally he has a great looking shot. He will score like crazy once they start running some pick and pops for him. I honestly think he will eventually have solid three point range. Now the fouling thing continues but that will get better. (Yeah, there is no pre-conceived bias among refs in the NBA)

Doc seems to always praise his hustle and repeatedly mentions how he plays the right way. I doubt he is one of the players who are not taking the losing seriously. The fact that Doc always has a good word about him bodes well.

I know they want to play big and move KG back to the four but I think Sullinger is just going to keep getting more minutes. He is clearly making Bass tradeable.

Re: One silver lining: Sullinger just keeps improving.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:48:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I like Bass a lot. I think he earns his contract and brings it hard every single game... can't ask for more... but man, Sully gives me tingles right now. No one in "real life" is on board yet, but I approve this post and hope to see that some others are feeling similarly :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:25:07 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Yup. Its good to see Sully keep on improving every game.

But Bass now keeps on sucking every game - a polar opposite of Sully
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:26:35 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I like Bass a lot. I think he earns his contract and brings it hard every single game... can't ask for more... but man, Sully gives me tingles right now.

Agree. Bass does that. Sully seems to do that too. Trade or no, team doing good or bad, I sure appreciate this.

And I've been saying this from the start. Sully has been improving and almost at a constant rate too. It's like one possession he makes a mistake and immediately in the next one he fixes it.

He's still not in the shape he ideally should be in and loses out on the defensive end (according to Chris Webber) but he draws charges like nobody's business.

And, gotta throw Fab Melo's name in here. He seems to be kind of dumb but is really not. Probably is just because of the language barrier (his English really is not great). Just watch one of his recent games (even the "bad" one where he "only" got a few blocks and had some problem with bigs) and compare it to his summer league games.

Melo and Sully may be polar opposites (raw talent vs pure skill) but they both work hard and are learning really fast.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:39:31 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I would like to see Bass/Sully start against memphis. I know Doc wants size but seriously seeing collins on the floor makes me bash my head against the wall

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:40:33 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The good news is Sully's development allows us to trade Bass without blinking.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:24:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
But who wants Bass? What a mistake it was to trade big baby for him.

Sully and Davis while both a little undersized upfront in terms of length would of been two wicked pieces for our front court. Would of been a very smart duo out there

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:55:18 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Glad to see the improvement.

Because we're going to have to trade him, and the higher his value the better.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:34:40 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Interesting that he's played so well with the starters--

"Sullinger continued to prove that he plays well with Boston's best players, specifically Rondo, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. The stats show Boston has considerable success when Sullinger shares a lineup with those three players. In just more than 34 minutes of floor time this season, the only lineup featuring all four players (Courtney Lee being the fifth) has outscored opponents by 18.6 points, according to lineup data logged by Basketball Reference."

--but of course Doc has gone infrequently with this statistically-best lineup.

Would be interesting if no big trades came through, to see a KG/Sully/Green/Bradley/Rondo lineup.  I mean, they all can score and they'd have to run some plays for somebody.

Still, my guess is he'll have to go in a big-man trade.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think its just a matter of time before Sully is starting.  I think Doc is holding off on it, because he wants to make sure that Sully doesn't revert to his intermittent effort that he was showing earlier in the season.  But, now that the effort seems to be much more consistent (and the fouls seem to be dropping a bit as well), it might be time to pull the trigger. 

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203

Sully and Davis while both a little undersized upfront in terms of length would of been two wicked pieces for our front court. Would of been a very smart duo out there

I remember MANY here thought we got a steal when we traded bass for baby. I for one wasn't convinced then and even less convinced now. Bass is a one trick pony. If that elbow J isnt falling he's useless. He's looking worse and worse every game. At least baby hustles, took charges, grabbed rebounds and really could score. His issue was that he pouted. He would have outgrown that. I want bass outta here on the next thing smoking IF we can include him in any trades. Sully IS Da Man!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I remember MANY here thought we got a steal when we traded bass for baby. I for one wasn't convinced then and even less convinced now. Bass is a one trick pony. If that elbow J isnt falling he's useless. He's looking worse and worse every game. At least baby hustles, took charges, grabbed rebounds and really could score. His issue was that he pouted. He would have outgrown that. I want bass outta here on the next thing smoking IF we can include him in any trades. Sully IS Da Man!

I still think we got a steal trading Bass for Baby.  Between the contract demands, and the attitude issues, Davis needed to go, and Bass provided a great replacement on short money, and he also provided a little more explosiveness, which the C's desperately needed.

Now that Bass is on a longterm deal, its not nearly as good, however, I still think he can be a very good player in the role he was meant for...that is, 8th man.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bass is not a starter to me.  He has been because we are hurtin for true elite bigs on the front line.   Bass is good bench -role player.  And I like him a lot better than baby overall. 

Bass 's main contribution is his one trick smooth medium jump shot.   When that is off ( as it has been) of late, then he is not skilled /gifted enough to make up for it in other ways.

Without his shot going down, Bass is a sub standard player to me .   Not very good defensively, poor BB IQ ,  and below average rebounder . 

Sully should be playinfg, not Bass.  Sully's defense on quick guys is horrible.  But, he can shoot nearly as good as Bass, and works the boards 100X better. He makes better plays aroundthe rim, better passes and has better hands than BAss.

Thus he should start.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I know this isn't a Bass thread but.. Bass is what he has always been a solid bench big man who give a great jump shot and some athleticism. He is a below average rebounder and defender. That is why he is best coming off the bench.

Sully is showing gradual improvement. I stick to what i said when he was drafted. He will have a carlos boozer like career. If the Cs keep him around I expect him to grow into a 18pt 10rb starting PF. Like Boozer he will be at his best playing along side a mobile athletic defensive 5.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 11:38:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The good news is Sully's development allows us to trade Bass without blinking.

This is my thought too. Bass is a very likeble player and gives us another semi-above the rim type player. But sully can do everything that bass gives us plus rebound better.

However. Bass' trade value has to be very low at the moment. The only thing going for him is that teams know what he is going to bring to the team as he is a proven vet. If we could get a player that had a similar impact on the game that bass does only plays the center position, even that would be a huge improvement.