3 (5.7%)
Portland
0 (0%)
Houston
7 (13.2%)
Other
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)  (Read 49098 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)
« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I just read a rumor of Covington and Fultz for Butler. That makes the 76ers much better.

It makes sense for both teams. Source?

« Reply #256 on: October 02, 2018, 05:37:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
So they would have ended up trading Tatum and Covington and a probably lottery pick of one year of Butler? Talk about destroying the process with one move.

« Reply #257 on: October 02, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I just read a rumor of Covington and Fultz for Butler. That makes the 76ers much better.

Not sure how this impacts this trade idea but...

Did everyone already know (except me) that Fultz is now starting ar SG and JJ is coming off the bench?  I just read it right now.  Maybe I am just not paying any attention to teams other than the C's.  Hint, I'm not.

https://clutchpoints.com/sixers-news-brett-brown-consulted-with-manu-ginobili-gregg-popovich-before-sliding-j-j-redick-into-6th-man-role/

Yes I think that makes the sixers a lot better especially if the sixers are playing small and playing both Reddick and Butler.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:47:48 PM by blink »

« Reply #258 on: October 02, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Did everyone already know (except me) that Fultz is now starting ar SG and JJ is coming off the bench?  I just read it right now.  Maybe I am just not paying any attention to teams other than the C's.

https://clutchpoints.com/sixers-news-brett-brown-consulted-with-manu-ginobili-gregg-popovich-before-sliding-j-j-redick-into-6th-man-role/

Yes I think that makes the sixers a lot better especially if the sixers are playing small and playing both Reddick and Butler.

From what I have read they had not committed to that for the season, but it was something they were considering giving some run in the preseason to see if it is worth doing in the regular season. Reddick would be better as a bench player at this point in his career. He is 34 and we really targeted him in the playoffs last year defensively. It is just a matter of whether Fultz will shoot (he hit a 3 yesterday) and whether he is ready on defense.

« Reply #259 on: October 02, 2018, 05:50:49 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Did everyone already know (except me) that Fultz is now starting ar SG and JJ is coming off the bench?  I just read it right now.  Maybe I am just not paying any attention to teams other than the C's.

From what I have read they had not committed to that for the season, but it was something they were considering giving some run in the preseason to see if it is worth doing in the regular season. Reddick would be better as a bench player at this point in his career. He is 34 and we really targeted him in the playoffs last year defensively. It is just a matter of whether Fultz will shoot (he hit a 3 yesterday) and whether he is ready on defense.

I don't disagree with the concept at all.  I am just surprised that they are actually implementing it based on how not ready for prime time Fultz was last year.  Maybe that all changed over the summer?  Either way, I would enjoy watching Brown play against Fultz more than Brown playing against Butler at least for this year.  Philly getting Butler makes things potentially harder for us in the playoffs if we meet again.

« Reply #260 on: October 02, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Did everyone already know (except me) that Fultz is now starting ar SG and JJ is coming off the bench?  I just read it right now.  Maybe I am just not paying any attention to teams other than the C's.  Hint, I'm not.

Coach Brown only announced that they were trying out Fultz starting and Reddick off the bench a couple hours before their 1st preseason game.  If Fultz can shoot reasonably well, I think it is a good move to get more playmaking in the starting lineup.   

« Reply #261 on: October 02, 2018, 06:02:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Can't find source again but this was a trade idea not really a rumor as I originally stated. I believe it was a Sixers news site....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:09:30 PM by liam »

« Reply #262 on: October 02, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Coach Brown only announced that they were trying out Fultz starting and Reddick off the bench a couple hours before their 1st preseason game.  If Fultz can shoot reasonably well, I think it is a good move to get more playmaking in the starting lineup.

Thanks for the clarification.

I always thought that it was assumed that they needed to surround Simons and Embiid with great 3 point shooters to give Simmons room to create.  If Fultz can't regain his 3point shot then it feels like it is just two guys doing kind of the same thing.   I get it that JJ is slowing down and wasn't a def stopper even when he was younger so diminishing returns to keep him as the starter.

I guess that was my point.  I think Butler improves Philly a lot right now as in this season and next season.  Especially if Fultz is still having shooting problems.

« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
The Sixers aren't in a win now situation like Toronto.  They also will have Max cap space next offseason and there are a number of good free agents that will be available including Butler.  I don't think trading Fultz and Covington for Butler makes sense.  I haven't seen anything where Butler named the Sixers as a team he'd like to be traded to so there is a good chance he'd walk after 1 season. 

« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I always thought that it was assumed that they needed to surround Simons and Embiid with great 3 point shooters to give Simmons room to create.  If Fultz can't regain his 3point shot then it feels like it is just two guys doing kind of the same thing.   I get it that JJ is slowing down and wasn't a def stopper even when he was younger so diminishing returns to keep him as the starter.

I guess that was my point.  I think Butler improves Philly a lot right now as in this season and next season.  Especially if Fultz is still having shooting problems.

If The 76ers get Butler for Covington and Fultz then the eastern conference finals will be amazing not to mention opening night.

« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Sixers aren't in a win now situation like Toronto.  They also will have Max cap space next offseason and there are a number of good free agents that will be available including Butler.  I don't think trading Fultz and Covington for Butler makes sense.  I haven't seen anything where Butler named the Sixers as a team he'd like to be traded to so there is a good chance he'd walk after 1 season.
Agree. Plus, Fultz has been doing some pretty nice things so far. Would be silly to move him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2018, 06:17:07 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

This is the last year of Butler's contract.  There is no guarantee that he'd re-sign with the Sixers.  I agree that he should be a significant improvement on-court but there is his personality to be concerned about.  I just don't see wasting assets on a possible 1 year rental when they can go after Butler, Leonard, Middleton, etc next offseason. 

« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I can't see the Sixers giving up Fultz for Butler.  They wouldn't include him in a Kawhi trade and Kawhi is not only better than Butler but also was at least a real possibility to re-sign in Philly.  Butler is such an unknown about next summer and I'm not sure he would like playing with Embiid who seems to have some work ethic issues.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #268 on: October 03, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I can't see the Sixers giving up Fultz for Butler.  They wouldn't include him in a Kawhi trade and Kawhi is not only better than Butler but also was at least a real possibility to re-sign in Philly.  Butler is such an unknown about next summer and I'm not sure he would like playing with Embiid who seems to have some work ethic issues.

I read that Butler is seeking a super max and he can only get that with the team that trades for him....

« Reply #269 on: October 03, 2018, 03:38:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I read that Butler is seeking a super max and he can only get that with the team that trades for him....
Butler is no longer eligible to get a supermax. Players are only eligible for supermax if they are on the team that originally drafted him or on a team that traded for the player while they were on their rookie contract