Poll

Seeding Games: Will the Grizzlies make the playoffs?

Yes
2 (12.5%)
No
14 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (#14)  (Read 93136 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (28-27, 17th pick as of 2/20)
« Reply #330 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
What Ainge gotta do with 3 more 1st round picks? Team is loaded already.. guess draft overseas guys and wait 4 years before they come?

Trade chips.
yeah, what a good problem to have....too many first round picks!  ;D

i am sure ainge will make some trades. maybe move down. maybe swap for 2 round picks without guaranteed salaries. maybe roll them forward for future picks. maybe trade for a player or two.

this is a fun team to watch both in and out of the season.

Let's say Memphis just misses the playoffs and lands at the 14th pick. 

The Celtics keep the good times rolling and finish with the 26th pick.

Milwaukee has the best record and we get their pick at 30.

I could see a few different options:

1. Ainge packages the 26/30 to move up to 21.
2. He then packages the 14/21 to move up to 10.

Or, in one fell swoop he packages 14/26/30 to move up to maybe 9.  I can't see the 26/30 having as much value to a team in the 8th slot, but maybe the the 9th would be willing to drop five picks to get two additional swings to find a superstar in the rough with those later picks.

« Reply #331 on: February 25, 2020, 11:37:01 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
What Ainge gotta do with 3 more 1st round picks? Team is loaded already.. guess draft overseas guys and wait 4 years before they come?

Trade chips.

i am sure ainge will make some trades. maybe move down. maybe swap for 2 round picks without guaranteed salaries. maybe roll them forward for future picks. maybe trade for a player or two.

Or, in one fell swoop he packages 14/26/30 to move up to maybe 9.  I can't see the 26/30 having as much value to a team in the 8th slot, but maybe the the 9th would be willing to drop five picks to get two additional swings to find a superstar in the rough with those later picks.

Ainge already tried that approach twice.

In 2015, Ainge tried to move up by offering multiple picks so that he can pick Winslow at #9.
Charlotte declined.

Last year Ainge also tried to package multiple picks to move up in the draft.
No team obliged.

Right now EVERY team in the NBA knows Ainge can't keep all the picks because of salary cap restrictions.

Ainge had his chance to cash in on the assets at the trade deadline a few weeks ago.
Now Ainge has no leverage.
Either Ainge drafts players and sends them overseas, like what he did to Yabusele, or Ainge will agree to lower the asking price of the draft picks the Celts own this year.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
FWIW its both hard to find a trade up for multiple picks in the same year and also historically its been a mistake to trade up in the NBA draft.

I have no idea the tiers in this draft myself so I don't know what sort of slot is a realistic target. Some years getting to the top 5 is a no go. (think Luka/Ayton/Trae/Bagley/JJJ) Other years. (Anthony Bennent/Oladipo draft) teams are begging to trade down.

« Reply #333 on: February 25, 2020, 12:01:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Trade chips.

In 2015, Ainge tried to move up by offering multiple picks so that he can pick Winslow at #9.
Charlotte declined.

No team obliged.

Right now EVERY team in the NBA knows Ainge can't keep all the picks because of salary cap restrictions.

Ainge had his chance to cash in on the assets at the trade deadline a few weeks ago.
Either Ainge drafts players and sends them overseas, like what he did to Yabusele, or Ainge will agree to lower the asking price of the draft picks the Celts own this year.

There are a couple of real good foreign PGs available in this draft right around our Memphis pick, Killian Hayes and Theo Maledon, both from France I think.

I could see us drafting one of them with it and having them play another year abroad.

Don't know about the back of first round, and what we would do.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Anyone else thinking Memphis could kind of drop like a rock with Jackson out? They were not competitive at all last night. I think they will at best win one of their next three against Houston, Sac and Lakers.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Anyone else thinking Memphis could kind of drop like a rock with Jackson out? They were not competitive at all last night. I think they will at best win one of their next three against Houston, Sac and Lakers.

I thought Memphis would drop like a rock even with Jackson, so for certain I think they will with him out.  Their schedule is a beast, they traded away solid vets in their rotation, and they’ll probably start sitting Morant to preserve him for the future if they fall out of the running by the end of March.  I thought they’d go 5-23 post-break.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I thought Memphis would drop like a rock even with Jackson, so for certain I think they will with him out.  Their schedule is a beast, they traded away solid vets in their rotation, and they’ll probably start sitting Morant to preserve him for the future if they fall out of the running by the end of March.  I thought they’d go 5-23 post-break.

If this happens where are you projecting the pick?

« Reply #337 on: February 25, 2020, 01:28:09 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82

Charlotte declined.

And in retrospect I think Charlotte/Jordan are kicking themselves for not taking that offer from Ainge.

No team obliged.

But some teams were able to trade up.  Dallas did a few years ago in order to get Doncic. Last year the Pels traded down, Boston traded down.  So it's not impossible.[/quote]

Eh, every negotiation depends on who's doing the negotiating.  A team may think they have leverage on Ainge, and he can just say "no, I'm not going to do that."  He's done that a lot over the past few years.  He could tell a team he's negotiating with to move up in the draft that he has other options to just trade a pick this year for next year. 

If a team likes what we're offering, say #14, #26, and #30 for their #9 then they'll do it.  If not, Ainge will find something else. 

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Between 9-11.  They’d fall behind at least four of POR, NO, SA, SAC, and PHX in the West, probably all 5.  Outside chance Washington catches up too.

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586

Thanks saltlover:

Grizz have a very tough schedule over the next 25. I am not as low as you but I think 10-15 for the rest of the season would be the upper end of their prospects....38-44

Pels could get 14-11, but won't they start resting Zion? Would they really go all out? They might, but, with their schedule 14-11 seems reasonable...39-43

Blazers are surging a little....but not that much...39-43

Thus, a three way tie for the 8th seed in the west is upon us.

The last 15 games of the NBA season is a mixed bag of tanking and weak teams taking their shot at the playoffs. I don't know what these three teams are planning, but, they might be looking at two choices.

Losing four straight to the Lakers.
or
Getting a higher draft pick.

Playoff money is important, so go get that playoff seed, but, your team needs to draft higher too.

See if a "mini tank" by one of these three is on the menu...perhaps Ja develops an "ankle" or two?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think 12-14 is where the pick ends up.

Would be nice to see a bit of a miracle and see the pick hit in the lottery and have the pick convey next season. Of course, I am not expecting it but I would love for it to happen.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Between 9-11.  They’d fall behind at least four of POR, NO, SA, SAC, and PHX in the West, probably all 5.  Outside chance Washington catches up too.

Dream on, SL. They aren't dropping down that far!! Someone spiked your green Koolaid!

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Thanks saltlover:

Grizz have a very tough schedule over the next 25. I am not as low as you but I think 10-15 for the rest of the season would be the upper end of their prospects....38-44

Pels could get 14-11, but won't they start resting Zion? Would they really go all out? They might, but, with their schedule 14-11 seems reasonable...39-43

Blazers are surging a little....but not that much...39-43

Thus, a three way tie for the 8th seed in the west is upon us.

The last 15 games of the NBA season is a mixed bag of tanking and weak teams taking their shot at the playoffs. I don't know what these three teams are planning, but, they might be looking at two choices.

Losing four straight to the Lakers.
or
Getting a higher draft pick.

Playoff money is important, so go get that playoff seed, but, your team needs to draft higher too.

See if a "mini tank" by one of these three is on the menu...perhaps Ja develops an "ankle" or two?

I don't get which one of these teams would consider tanking at the end of the season.

Portland getting back Nurkic to go along with Dame, CJ and anthony probably thinks they could get hot and upset the lakers.
Pelicans have a million picks and would obviously love to get Ingram, Zion and Ball playoff experience.
Sacramento spent a ton of money trying to just get back to the playoffs for the first time in 20 years
Memphis doesn't own their pick

« Reply #343 on: February 25, 2020, 03:05:06 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Trade chips.

Charlotte declined.

No team obliged.

There are a couple of real good foreign PGs available in this draft right around our Memphis pick, Killian Hayes and Theo Maledon, both from France I think.

I could see us drafting one of them with it and having them play another year abroad.

Don't know about the back of first round, and what we would do.

Guys that will probably be available at the bottom of the first round are Aleksej Pokuševski, Amar Sylla, and Leandro Bolmaro.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Dream on, SL. They aren't dropping down that far!! Someone spiked your green Koolaid!
Perhaps, but 14 of their last 25 are against teams with winning records, which is significant when you consider that only 13 of 30 NBA teams have a winning record. Combined with injuries, that's probably not enough to get us to 9th, but it might get it to 11th or 12th.

14 of NOP's last 15 games are against teams with a losing record. They only have 6 more games against winning teams. Given how Zion is playing, I'd be shocked if NOP doesn't overtake them. Portland only has 9 such games.