Author Topic: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker  (Read 28000 times)

Re: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2020, 02:31:09 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
For what he gives us as a backup at the salary he is making - he is a great value.  He isn't a dynamic playmaker, but he does everything competently.  I appreciate him as a player. 

« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2020, 02:33:08 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
We can argue all we want about his number in the rotation ...7th in minutes played (largely due to injuries), 8.5 depending on matchups , or 10th if Stevens feel a youngster can provide a spark. I admit my 11th or 12th comment was way off and maybe just wishful thinking.

But the fact is he is simply OK. His best attribute is that he is Solid and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes and plays good not great defense. He has no single exceptional skill. Not shooting, not playmaking, not defense, not “intangibles”, not energy/spark creation. If he is getting playoff minutes as our 7th guy and not just “break glass” in case of emergency 10th guy minutes, that will be a
problem. Teams will figure him out and he will be attacked. Maybe he can come in if we’re on the ropes and be a calming influence in a single game, that would be great. But if he is getting 5-10 regular minutes the Wanamaker “puzzle” will get solved quickly. So....yeah I think a player with a single valuable exceptional skill is more valuable in the playoffs (ie Semi’s Defense, a sharp shooter, an energy guy, etc) than A player that is at best, simply functional.

I don’t mean to pick on him. He’s been valuable and a good piece of our regular season. As you the know playoffs are different. And I believe his value will be significantly less and potentially a liability.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:32:12 AM by mobilija »

« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2020, 08:45:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I mean how are teams going to "attack" him?

He's a good defender at the PG/SG position. He's an okay shooter who is willing to shoot so the C's won't mind him being left open as he'll take and make enough shots.

His main weaknesses are a tendency for turnovers and his tunnel vision in transition. If teams want to trap Brad freaking Wanamaker or intentionally give up transition possessions to him I'm fine with that.

He's not some sort of guy you rave about but he does the job well enough. That's all you need out of your 4th guard/3rd PG.

« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2020, 08:50:15 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don’t get the criticism of Brad. He’s a solid back up guard off the bench and fills that role well.

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Agreed that he is solid... think I’ve said that several times. He handles his backup duties fairly well. I’m not sh****ing on the guy.

He is turnover prone. Savy defenders in the playoffs will study his tendencies and create havoc if he is a primary ball handler at some point. I’lol hang my head and be sad when the TJ McConnels of the world consistently make his life difficult.

He is an ok defender. But the VanFleets of the world are gonna eat his lunch once they study how he moves as defender.

I hope I’m wrong. Or I hope he doesn’t get a lot of playoff run. He’s an ok regular season back up ph and a mediocre playoff backup pg

« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2020, 11:44:08 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What is he good at?
- switchable defender who is strong and physical enough to occasionally defend the post on mismatches

What is he average at?
- spot up shooting
- running an offense
- overall IQ/feel

What is he below average at?
- setting up teammates for easy shots
- driving/finishing

What is he bad at?
- defending the pick-and-roll
- containing penetration

He's not Chris Paul. He's not even Marcus Smart. But he is a solid 3rd string point guard that can sometimes get hot and help win a game.

« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2020, 03:39:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So for the last 20 games he is hitting three's at a 45.2% rate and FTs at a 96.2% rate. If he does that with his very good defense in the playoffs, no one is going to "expose" him.

« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2020, 04:03:09 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
As much as his selfishness on the fastbreak annoys me, he's actually a pretty good value player, all things considered. He's a good shooter, can hit free throws, a decent finisher, and an okay defender.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2020, 04:04:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
In our 8-9 man playoff rotation, Wanamaker probably is our 8th or 9th guy (assuming everyone else is hopefully healthy). I'm not concerned at all about him "costing us" anything in the playoffs. He's a very solid 3rd-4th PG option who would only play about 10-12 minutes a game I imagine, again, assuming everyone else is healthy.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:13:52 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2020, 04:25:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
As much as his selfishness on the fastbreak annoys me, he's actually a pretty good value player, all things considered. He's a good shooter, can hit free throws, a decent finisher, and an okay defender.
I know what you're referring to but I don't classify it as selfishness.  Wanamaker appears to do a good job of finishing when going downhill at a defender.  I would love to know the numbers but if they are as high as I  think they are, then that's just good basketball. 

Now, if he was a bad finisher in those situations then yeah, pass the ball.

« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2020, 04:26:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
He's still very effective in transition, he just misses wide open players and gets to the rim and/or line anyways  :laugh:

https://on.nba.com/2HB6phm

« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2020, 04:28:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I know what you're referring to but I don't classify it as selfishness.  Wanamaker appears to do a good job of finishing when going downhill at a defender.  I would love to know the numbers but if they are as high as I  think they are, then that's just good basketball. 

Now, if he was a bad finisher in those situations then yeah, pass the ball.
Eh, he just straight misses the easy drop down for a completely uncontested layup a lot which is annyoing.

He also bulldozers some poor backup PG into a foul when the defense "thinks" its back so often that it works out in aggregate. Tradeoffs when you're that aggressive!

Jaylen does the same thing.  A lot of defenders just count their team mates who are back and don't actually defend in transition. Jaylen and Brad punish this lapse consistently.

« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2020, 04:41:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I'd love to see the stats on Wanamaker as a finisher on the break. To my eye test, his results are better than average. Maybe he missed out on some easier buckets by not passing, but net I think he does better than most.

« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2020, 04:48:50 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I'd love to see the stats on Wanamaker as a finisher on the break. To my eye test, his results are better than average. Maybe he missed out on some easier buckets by not passing, but net I think he does better than most.

Absolutely agree with this. It feels like he is an above average finisher on drives to the hoop. He has the size to absorb contact. I have no issue with him being aggressive on the drive. If he is above average % in scoring in these situations then I don't especially see the need for him to be passing as a first option.

« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2020, 04:48:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He’s second on the team amongst ball handlers in transition points per possession, behind Hayward.  However, this stat excludes assists.

https://stats.nba.com/players/transition/?sort=PPP&dir=1&CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*BOS