Author Topic: Hayward has definitively outplayed Morris in February - Implications?  (Read 6268 times)

Re: Hayward has definitively outplayed Morris in February - Implications?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Just listened to Bill Simmons recent podcast with Kevin O'Connor. Bill said that he has talked to guys in the organization and asked them why Hayward keeps getting minutes. They all have responded the same way, "He is killing it in practice." He went on to say that Hayward is the best player on the court in half of the practices.

In that sense, I applaud CBS for continuing to give him playing time. CBS is taking a lot of criticism, with some even suggesting a form of adopted nepotism, but CBS has remained committed to making the team they best they can be.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:31:21 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 02:38:46 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Just listened to Bill Simmons recent podcast with Kevin O'Connor. Bill said that he has talked to guys in the organization and asked them why Hayward keeps getting minutes. They all have responded the same way, "He is killing it in practice." He went on to say that Hayward is the best player on the court in half of the practices.

In that sense, I applaud CBS for continuing to give him playing time. CBS is taking a lot of criticism, with some even suggesting a form of adopted nepotism, but CBS's has remained committed to making the team they best they can be.

Makes sense that All Star Hayward would appear in practice before real games.  Shows that it's a comfort zone issue.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 03:27:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

In that sense, I applaud CBS for continuing to give him playing time. CBS is taking a lot of criticism, with some even suggesting a form of adopted nepotism, but CBS's has remained committed to making the team they best they can be.

TP...good find.

Translation: It's primarily in Hayward's head.

I concur!

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 03:30:54 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

TP...good find.

I concur!

His brain was broken mentally.

Nice to see him getting it back a bit.

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

TP...good find.

I concur!

His brain was broken mentally.

Nice to see him getting it back a bit.

It was GREAT to see him have the game he did vs Philly. On the road, quality opponent....Excellent.

Here's hoping he keeps it up. A healthy and strongly contributing Hayward will go a long way to keeping Kyrie around.

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 05:05:06 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It depends what you want to prioritize.  If you want the ball moving it is Hayward, if you want to slow it down and iso it is Morris.

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 05:23:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
depends what you want to prioritize.  If you want the ball moving it is Hayward, if you want to slow it down and iso it is Morris.

We all know CBS wants the former.

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2019, 05:46:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I don't like the idea of a guy losing his starting spot because of 7 games.

It's too few games to make that determination and it's also too few games for the averages to mean much. Hayward's shot .524 from 3 during this stretch but removing just a single game from the data drops that number to .357. Hayward should get credit for improved play recently but let's have some perspective.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2019, 05:54:01 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Makes sense that All Star Hayward would appear in practice before real games.  Shows that it's a comfort zone issue.

I said this months ago, that his issues are mental, which include being unsure of how he fits in, not wanting to step on anyone's toes, not wanting to be "the guy" that wrecks the chemistry of last year's team. The first few months he looked like he didn't know how to mesh with his teammates. Add to this the fact that he was genuinely shooting terrible, he didn't have much lift so didn't feel confident driving, and then his hesitancy/fear to put himself in positions where he might suffer a re-break (anyone who has had a fracture of anything will understand what this feels like). Then finally his teammates weren't passing the ball to him much (whether by design or not).

We've said this many times, each time Gordon has a decent game, we think he's turning the corner. I don't think he's quite there yet. This run of good play has coincided with lots of minutes and a higher usage rate due to Kyrie and then Rozier being out. There's still going to be single digit games where he looks like he struggles to involve himself, particularly when everyone is back and healthy and minutes drop. But this is the best run he's put together yet though, and as the season comes to a close he will have more and more of these good runs and less of the single digit games.

For those reasons I would keep things as is for now. Changing starting lineups and things always have the risk of disrupting team chemistry particularly with a team this loaded. We had 2 dismal losses but we've won 12 of 15 even if 10 of those teams were sub-500. Let's see how far they can take it with this setup. Besides, we haven't really had problems starting games, not since the early part of the season - it's the 2nd and 3rd quarters that have been our issue. If anything Brad can mix up who starts in the 3rd if that continues to be a problem.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:00:12 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Morris and Hayward play two different positions.

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Morris replaced Hayward in the starting lineup. We can talk about "positionless basketball" but for all intents and purposes, they play the same position.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2019, 08:17:13 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Morris replaced Hayward in the starting lineup. We can talk about "positionless basketball" but for all intents and purposes, they play the same position.

Yeah, weren't Hayward and Tatum the opening day starters at forward the game of Hayward's injury?

That's why I suggested he replace Mook, not because he plays PF, but because of the forward pairing with Tatum.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
My hunch would be that by the end of the year we're back to the game 1 starting 5, except with Smart starting next to Kyrie because Kyrie likes it.

So Al starts, then it's Brown/Tatum/Hayward in 2 spots. Tough call, but Morris is just a doggone ball stopper.  I won't miss him next year.

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
is it really a surprise though that Morris is coming back to earth and Hayward is starting to play better than him?

Morris was playing out of his mind the first half of the year, and well above his normal ceiling. Gordon hayward was an all-star two years ago who was playing well below his ceiling.

So, the law of averages would say as hayward gets healthier he will be closer to that all-star calibar player. and Morris wont be able to keep up his ridiculously hot shooting.

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 05:54:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lordy Lordy Mista Gordy

take us to the promised land