Author Topic: Wyc on Felger and Mazz at 2:30pm  (Read 5829 times)

Re: Wyc on Felger and Mazz at 2:30pm
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 06:32:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Adam Kaufman
‏Verified account
 @AdamMKaufman

#Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck on @985TheSportsHub said this year's team was "one of the hardest to love...it was a tough year."

Dang... that truly speaks volumes coming from the owner  :o

Anyways are they allowed to ask Wyc about anything AD-related, or not until after the NBA season ends entirely?
"Hard to Love" sounds like owner euphemism for didn't like at all.

Glad for the frankness and the acknowledgement.  I don't think I've been disappointed in this way by a C's team - maybe ever.  Even with Curtis Rowe/ Sydney Wickes the expectations weren't what they were this season. 

And not only expectations for this season -- the C's seemed to be on the verge of perreniel contention.  I believed that the C's were going to be in the mix for a basketball generation.  And then just... splat. From the 10-10 start -- despite a few "did they flip the switch?" moments -- just disappointment after disappointment. 

Overusing the word clearly, but I feel a little traumatized by this season -- like the rug got pulled out from under and my trust for GM, Coach, Players which was so high, is now tentative at best.  Glad at least Wyc isn't denying reality.

Well said, and this is basically where I'm at. I'm having a bit of a hard time getting enthused about anything Celtics-related at this point, and I kinda don't want to get excited—because I was pretty excited at this time last year, and look how that ended up. I'm kind of ambivalent on Kyrie—stay? go? Whatever. Keep all the young guys? Or trade a bunch of them for Anthony Davis? Whatevs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 07:00:35 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I listened to it and Wyc was a hard no on commenting on specific players.  His comment that this team was the hardest to love is a telling comment.  He also said Danny and Brad are the best in the business so that is telling if either are on the hot seat.  He wouldn't comment on Danny's health when it came up and if Danny should step down because of it.  He was asked if anyone was untouchable and he evaded it by deflecting that it was more of a Danny question because he would trade his mother.  He said Danny presents trade offers to ownership but he's the one who sets it up.  He said all players are under review and they will decide who they are going to build around.  Some good info if you read between the lines.  I'm not sure if Ownership wants Kyrie back but I think no matter what they will blow it up in regards to letting people go or trading people that don't fit chemistry wise.  Seems they thought talent would figure out Chemistry but in turn it didn't and he blames himself for not fixing it by making deals.

He struck me as someone who was prepared to let Danny and Brad to do their jobs when it came to personnel and he would make the final decision based on their input and recommendation. In short, the type of owner that you want.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Well it’s just great to know everyone just stood around waiting on the next guy to do something instead of someone standing up and doing something.  That was fun!

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 07:20:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

And not only expectations for this season -- the C's seemed to be on the verge of perreniel contention.  I believed that the C's were going to be in the mix for a basketball generation.  And then just... splat. From the 10-10 start -- despite a few "did they flip the switch?" moments -- just disappointment after disappointment. 

It really is crazy, right?  Enough to give you whiplash.

A year ago we were looking at this like dang, the Celts are set up to be one of the best teams in the league for the next 5-10 years even if they don't make a big move for AD or whoever.

Now, I would bet that the Celts head into next season with one of the youngest rosters in the league with post-injury Gordon Hayward and 32 year old Al Horford as the only guys who have made an All-Star team.

I mean, if you step back and remember that the Celts basically started a major rebuild in summer 2013 and that since then they've made the playoffs four times and gotten to the ECF twice, this isn't so bad.  They will still have one of the best collection of assets in the league, a handful of quality young players, and a well-regarded coach.  That's preferable to what the majority of franchises have going for them right now.

But from the perspective of thinking the Celtics would be one of the favorites for the title for multiple seasons and now we're probably gonna be on par with the Pacers and Nets fighting for the middle of the East playoff picture, it's jarring.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 11:49:00 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I've been wondering what ownership's view is on the season, the roster, Kyrie, Davis, etc.

Not surprised that Wyc didn't reveal his feelings about anyone in particular, but it is actually encouraging that he acknowledged the personnel problems and says that they'll decide who is in and who is out. That means somebody is out.

Ownership made the move to go into the luxury tax this season and it didn't pay off. If Wyc doesn't think there is a championship run coming soon, he may change his position on that.

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 11:58:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've been wondering what ownership's view is on the season, the roster, Kyrie, Davis, etc.

Not surprised that Wyc didn't reveal his feelings about anyone in particular, but it is actually encouraging that he acknowledged the personnel problems and says that they'll decide who is in and who is out. That means somebody is out.

Ownership made the move to go into the luxury tax this season and it didn't pay off. If Wyc doesn't think there is a championship run coming soon, he may change his position on that.
TP for excellent point. If Kyrie walks and no Davis, could they look to spend one of their 1st rounders on moving on from Hayward's contract? Perhaps Wyc and the other owners decide they need to shed salary and get under the luxury tax, so bye bye Hayward and a future 1st? It could happen....I guess.

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 12:09:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

TP for excellent point. If Kyrie walks and no Davis, could they look to spend one of their 1st rounders on moving on from Hayward's contract? Perhaps Wyc and the other owners decide they need to shed salary and get under the luxury tax, so bye bye Hayward and a future 1st? It could happen....I guess.

the answer is no

why would you do that? especially if the team loses Horford

Hayward does not stink because he has regressed due to age etc... he went through a very tough injury.  There is a decent chance he returns to all star form, next season

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 12:23:49 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

the answer is no

Hayward does not stink because he has regressed due to age etc... he went through a very tough injury.  There is a decent chance he returns to all star form, next season

I think if Kyrie walks the team is no longer in the luxury tax. They weren't very far over it this season. I guess it depends on who they keep and for how much.

I don't think they need to do anything yet about Hayward's contract. There's still a good chance that they'll get a return for their investment. If he returns to form next year, that's great. If he doesn't, he only has one year left on his deal and it's an option year. Maybe he ops out and takes less money per year going forward.

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 12:32:35 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

the answer is no

I think if Kyrie walks the team is no longer in the luxury tax. They weren't very far over it this season. I guess it depends on who they keep and for how much.

I don't think they need to do anything yet about Hayward's contract. There's still a good chance that they'll get a return for their investment. If he returns to form next year, that's great. If he doesn't, he only has one year left on his deal and it's an option year. Maybe he ops out and takes less money per year going forward.

Ya I don't think it would be necessary.

If Kyrie bolts, then that automatically puts the team well under the luxury tax and only slightly over the salary cap. By my calcs:  no free agents, no trades, renounce all free agents, and all first rounders sign, that puts the team at  $110,371,142 for 12 players, and $111,209,606 if they add a 13th rookie minimum guy.  Luxury tax is projected to be $132m, so there's room to make other moves.

Same situation above, but Horford extends (like $60m/3yrs), the C's would actually be below the salary cap by about $8m-$9m.  Though not sure how likely it is that Al would do that if the C's are no longer a legit contender.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 01:08:38 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I heard the Wyc interview.

Obviously I don't have anything to base this on, but I just have this gut feeling that him and Ainge are going to try like hell to keep Kyrie and bring Davis to town.

I REALLY don't think they have any interest in a future that includes a team of Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Horford.
Just nowhere near enough talent on that team to compete with Milwaukee and Toronto.

With the Bruins on the verge of going to the Stanley Cup, the Celts would've been the only New England team in the last 12 months not to make it to the dance (and also end their season in very disappointing fashion.)

I don't think they want to be looked at as 4th best. Also, I'd like to believe Wyc is genuinely upset about how this season went. So, I think Kyrie and AD is the goal. Now whether it happens is another story.

I also did find the part interesting where he talks about how "the stuff you read on the internet is being fed by agents of 'other' players."

My interpretation is all the Kyrie and Durant rumors about New York aren't coming from them or their agents but from agents of other players in the league who would benefit from Kyrie and Durant in New York.

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 01:12:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Obviously I don't have anything to base this on, but I just have this gut feeling that him and Ainge are going to try like hell to keep Kyrie and bring Davis to town.

I REALLY don't think they have any interest in a future that includes a team of Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Horford.
Just nowhere near enough talent on that team to compete with Milwaukee and Toronto.

With the Bruins on the verge of going to the Stanley Cup, the Celts would've been the only New England team in the last 12 months not to make it to the dance (and also end their season in very disappointing fashion.)

I don't think they want to be looked at as 4th best. Also, I'd like to believe Wyc is genuinely upset about how this season went. So, I think Kyrie and AD is the goal. Now whether it happens is another story.

I also did find the part interesting where he talks about how "the stuff you read on the internet is being fed by agents of 'other' players."

My interpretation is all the Kyrie and Durant rumors about New York aren't coming from them or their agents but from agents of other players in the league who would benefit from Kyrie and Durant in New York.

Then why didnt wyc just say he would like to have Irving back??

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 02:08:14 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Then why didnt wyc just say he would like to have Irving back??

Keeping his options open by holding his cards close to his chest.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 02:21:47 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

the answer is no

This might sound weird, but I think building around...Hayward, is a great idea. We need elite shooters and give Hayward bigger playmaking opportunities.

Actually one of the reasons I don't hate the Mike Conley idea. Great shooter, and works well off the ball. If Danny could pull off some circa 2007 stuff by getting AD and Conley...

AD
Horford
Hayward
3 and D guy
Conley

Not sure where all the money comes from though
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 02:50:31 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
TP to whoever is able to summarize. I'm at work, so unable to :(

You can summarize his interview pretty much like this:

"All the people who thought there would be issues with what was unfolding from the very beginning were right.  All those who jumped on them for daring to question the narrative were wrong.  But, at least for now, I'm not going to get into specifics."

The thing is, there were like 3 people in America who thought there would be issues such as what transpired. Pretty much everyone following the Celtics, including most everyone on CelticsStrong, didn't have those concerns.

I'm not sure were you're getting that theory, but a lot of people thought that we could end up seeing those issues.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2019, 03:57:39 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Mike Conley is garbage