Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 394143 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #465 on: November 08, 2019, 02:40:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Question: Are people actually outraged at Kawhi over the "load management" thing?

I swear the media's been going off about it a ton lately and it's becoming a tired subject... like it has even more attention than Lebron and the Lakers nowadays, which is saying something...)

Like I truthfully don't care about it as much.

Me personally, as a fan (and only from the lens of a fan), I don't like a team's best player sitting out. Let's say the Celts signed Durant or Anthony Davis and I go to a Celts game, pumped to see either guy play. I get to the Gahden and find out the player isn't playing because of "load management". It would be a huge disappointment. But...that's just me.

In 2008 I went to a game in Charlotte to see the Big 3 play and they all sat out haha. It's not a new development.

« Reply #466 on: November 08, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Question: Are people actually outraged at Kawhi over the "load management" thing?

I swear the media's been going off about it a ton lately and it's becoming a tired subject... like it has even more attention than Lebron and the Lakers nowadays, which is saying something...)

Me personally, as a fan (and only from the lens of a fan), I don't like a team's best player sitting out. Let's say the Celts signed Durant or Anthony Davis and I go to a Celts game, pumped to see either guy play. I get to the Gahden and find out the player isn't playing because of "load management". It would be a huge disappointment. But...that's just me.

Oh I actually understand that 100%. I guess I can see it if people shelled out $100+ per ticket and saw no superstar because of "load management". But we've seen Lebron do it in the past, even guys on the Spurs too. Kawhi seems to be the ultimate punching bag in this now lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #467 on: November 08, 2019, 02:44:58 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Speaking personally, I don't care but I see why some people do.  Specifically, I think it sucks for attending fans who are paying to see these guys play in person but aren't getting all of what they paid for. 

That said, I think it's just one of those unfortunate things.  Kawhi needs the rest to stay healthy long-term, and that means he's not going to play in back-to-backs.  Some fans will be p---ed, and rightfully so, but it is what it is.  Some problems don't have perfect solutions. 

« Reply #468 on: November 08, 2019, 02:44:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Oh I actually understand that 100%. I guess I can see it if people shelled out $100+ per ticket and saw no superstar because of "load management". But we've seen Lebron do it in the past, even guys on the Spurs too. Kawhi seems to be the ultimate punching bag in this now lol

My only gripe, as a self-centered Celtic fan, is that he sat out vs the Bucks, and played the next night vs the Trailblazers.  I wish he had played vs the Bucks instead, so that the Clippers had a shot at beating them, which is better for us.  Without Kawhi and George, the Clips are an average team.

« Reply #469 on: November 08, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yea, well Kawhi is a top 5 player in the league, now a 2-time NBA champ and unfortunately needs his playing time managed because of injuries. Talk about a "take the good with the bad" scenario.

« Reply #470 on: November 08, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

In 2008 I went to a game in Charlotte to see the Big 3 play and they all sat out haha. It's not a new development.
Went to Chicago on St. Patricks day, no KG of course as he was injured and then Perk and Davis got hurt iirc. I know Pierce was trying to guard Brad Miller in OT.

Went to see OKC v Cs Durant's last year there, and Durant was out. Injuries suck, and Kawhi does seem to have something chronic with his knees and quads.

« Reply #471 on: November 08, 2019, 03:12:25 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I get load management.  I'm okay with it (in small doses).  Think it's perfectly acceptable at the end of the year when all the starters sit.

What I don't like is doing it for the big, national TV games.  (Though NBA kind of messed up putting a team in back-to-back national TV games).

To me, it's like any job.  You work for Target/Wal-Mart, you'll be working Black Friday and Christmas Eve.  You work as a tax accountant. don't expect to take days off between Jan-Apr 15.  If you're emergency personal, expect to work during hurricanes and blizzards.  Any 9-5 where occasionally you have to work nights and weekends (big client, big case, big event, big project, etc.)  So on and so forth.  It's just the nature of the beast.

So national TV games are kind of like that to me, these are the days we expect you to work.

No matter the job, sometimes you get legitimately sick/injured and can't come in.  But this just feels more like Kawhi taking a day off then actually being out sick/injured.

While I'm against it (for selfish fan reasons, it's not my body on the line), I kinda want some key players to take it to the next level and start taking load management days on Christmas Day, just to show how broken this process is.  Why couldn't LeBron or Kawhi do that and choose to spend time with their family instead?  They don't play for regular season wins.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:48:28 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #472 on: November 08, 2019, 03:38:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So as of November 8th, there's good news and bad news.

Good news is the Celts are 6-1

Bad news is the Lakers are 6-1 and may end up being really, really good.

What worries me about them is they have size and perimeter shooting.
Lebron, AD, Howard, Danny Green, Kuzma, etc.

Here's hoping they tail off (because I hate Lebron, Anthony Davis for not wanting Boston and so the Lakers don't tie us in banners.)

« Reply #473 on: November 08, 2019, 03:41:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I get load management.  I'm okay with it (in small doses).  Think it's perfectly acceptable at the end of the year when all the starters sit.

What I don't like is doing it for the big, national TV games.  (Though NBA kind of messed up putting a team in back-to-back national TV games).

To me, it's like any job.  You work for Target/Wal-Mart, you'll be working Black Friday and Christmas Eve.  You work as a tax accountant. don't expect to take days off between Jan-Apr 15.  If you're emergency personal, expect to work during hurricanes and blizzards.  Any 9-5 where occasionally you have to work nights and weekends (big client, big case, big event, big project, etc.)  So on and so forth.  It's just the nature of the beast.

So national TV games are kind of like that to me, these are the days we expect you to work.

No matter the job, sometimes you get legitimately sick/injured and get come in.  But this just feels more like Kawhi taking a day off then actually being out sick/injured.

While I'm against it (for selfish fan reasons, it's not my body on the line), I kinda want some key players to take it to the next level and start taking load management days on Christmas Day, just to show how broken this process is.  Why couldn't LeBron or Kawhi do that and choose to spend time with their family instead?  They don't play for regular season wins.

I wonder why they chose to sit him last night and not tonight.

« Reply #474 on: November 08, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I am guessing they prioritized a conference opponent whom they are competing against for a playoff spot/seeding.

Alternately the Bucks have more punishing players he'd be asked to guard, especially compared to Portland's wings.

« Reply #475 on: November 08, 2019, 03:56:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Here's hoping they tail off (because I hate Lebron, Anthony Davis for not wanting Boston and so the Lakers don't tie us in banners.)

I don’t think there was any question that the Lakers, when healthy, could be a very strong team.  The question is can they keep playing LeBron, who turns 35 next month, 35 minutes a night with no night’s off, and if they do, will he continue playing like he is.  Same question with Anthony Davis, who, while younger, has only cracked 70 games twice in his first seven seasons.

« Reply #476 on: November 08, 2019, 04:40:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Definitely a chance of us getting number 1. Embiid is playing his heart out, Is Simmons injured?

Hurt his shoulder 4 minutes into the game, ruled out for rest of game.

https://streamable.com/0ruzy

He is having a tough year for sure
That didn't really look like much which probably means his arm will fall off given the Sixers luck.

Tazz some of the trash talking aside, I do actually really love embids game. I also really like Horford, although it is now in weird bitter ex territory for me. Richardson seems pretty likeable too. But for the life of me I can’t stand Simmons. You?
Embiid's trash talking is part of who he is.  Bird was one of the best trash talkers.  Did you dislike his trash talking?  Or is it the social media aspect that you really dislike?  Imagine if social media was around in the 80s and 90s. 

There are a few players I really like (e.g. Rondo and Embiid).  I don't feel that negatively about any players even Lebron and his banana boat ilk.  I'm definitely glad they are on their way out.  I like the new, young talent much better. 

I guess I'd say I'm not fond of Simmons but I don't pay much attention to him.  He hasn't done anything in particular but I just have a negative impression of him.  I will say it is probably a bit less negative than when he first came into the league.  On the positive side, he does seem to be a team player.  His game is very team oriented and he's turned himself into a very good and versatile defender.  There doesn't seem to be any rivalry with or jealousy of Embiid (e.g. Kobe and Shaq).  From what I can tell he puts in the work and isn't going out clubbing every night.  But I still have that negative impression.

I’ll preface this again, by saying I do really like embiid overall, this is just a small thing I wish he did less of (he said he would before the season) l. Anyways I was a kid when bird was playing, so it is a bit tougher for me to answer that. I think the difference in my mind was that bird was actually accomplishing things when he was doing this. Like the story is he came into the locker room before the three point contest and said “who is finishing second place” and then won it. He was also winning championships. With embiid he has been talking more trash than anyone in the league but has never made it out of the second round. Worse he has been either banged up or missing games in the playoff runs. I think the worst case of his trash talk a few years ago was trying to insult baynes the round after Boston had eliminated him or the time he was talking trash to Morris and Morris hit him with the 2-0 or 3-0, whatever the series was at the time. From everything I have heard, it’s tough for me to imagine bird doing that kind of stuff (but maybe he did and it just wasn’t captured). I was optimistic embiid was starting to get this stuff, but the fight with towns and celebration of his involvement in it was just dumb. He was fortunate to only be suspended 2 games and he disgusted his teammate Horford with that.
Bird got in a fight with Julius Erving.  Lambier too but even Lambier's teammates wanted to fight him.  KG walks on water around here.  How many players did he intentionally low blow?  Here's KG blowing in David West's ear.  If Embiid wore Celtics green, he'd be a basketball god around here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjIKsgnU40 

Trash talking is part of basketball starting from kids playing on their neighborhood court all the way up to the NBA.  Plenty of trash talking in the NFL especially between WRs and DBs.  Embiid plays on his emotions.  He doesn't just trash talk.  He plays to the crowd a lot whether its a friendly home crowd or a hostile opposing crowd.  The thing KD and Draymond liked about Embiid's trash talking is that he does it all the time.  He doesn't just trash talk when things are going well. 

« Reply #477 on: November 08, 2019, 04:49:44 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don’t think there was any question that the Lakers, when healthy, could be a very strong team.  The question is can they keep playing LeBron, who turns 35 next month, 35 minutes a night with no night’s off, and if they do, will he continue playing like he is.  Same question with Anthony Davis, who, while younger, has only cracked 70 games twice in his first seven seasons.
The Clips have health questions with Kawhi and Paul George.  Kawhi has only cracked 70 games twice in his first 8 seasons.  They are already sitting him out for load management so it will probably be 2 in 9 seasons. 

« Reply #478 on: November 08, 2019, 06:01:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Here's hoping that Jimmy B and My Herro give LA the business tonight.

GO INTO LA AND SMACK EM IN THE MOUTH, MIA!!

« Reply #479 on: November 08, 2019, 06:17:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I continue to be skeptical that a team of Bron, Davis, and a bunch of role players who didn't play together last year is going to seriously contend for the title.

They're better than I expected them to be at this point in the season. 

I think it's fair to expect them to run into some injury issues sooner or later, though, given the age and mileage on pretty much all of their key players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain