Author Topic: Danny Green: Lebron, “most guys” might sit out first month  (Read 3508 times)

Re: Danny Green: Lebron, “most guys” might sit out first month
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 03:18:36 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
It's probably going to be a lot of teams though doing this. I mean December 22 is in what... 7 weeks from now? And there were a lot of players and teams even besides the Lakers or Heat who played heavy minutes during the playoffs in the bubble.

But anyways, has the NBA already decided when they will restart? I thought they were planning around MLK day.

8 teams haven’t played since March. Another 6 played for about a month. Another 8 played for maybe 2 weeks more than that. Teams are fresh.

Celtics will have nearly 3 months off, which is about a month less than a regular Finals run would give them (mid-June end to mid-October start, not including a full training camp). And then the 4+ months they didn’t play before their 2-month return.

Maybe the Lakers and Heat will be a little tired, but all the other teams will be good to go. If deemed safe to start it up again, there’s no reason to wait.

LeBron should sit out as many games as he’d like, and more. Anyone who thinks he’s still good for the league is delusional. He’s almost single-handedly ruined the NBA.
Assuming the NBA is planning to finish the season in May or June, his team might miss the playoffs if he sits out for a month or two lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think this is wholly posturing and a negotiating tactic.

Yeah, this feels a lot like the Lakers angling for the softest possible schedule they can get to start the season. LeBron is not going to hold up the start date, not even he has that much cache. This is about mitigating his need for 'load management'.

The truth is, for the majority of teams, they've played so little basketball over the last ~10 months nobody other than maybe players from the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, and Nuggets can really claim 'exhaustion'. Quite frankly, even that seems like a stretch.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 10:25:11 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Wow - Sad to see some of the responses here. It all comes from Lebron hate. I am a teacher, I am used to having summers off. If all of a sudden I was told I need to be back in July, that wouldn't go over well. Let's stop with the "entitled generation" stuff. It's foolish.

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 01:23:27 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
If there was no pandemic and the league finished in mid-June like it usually does, some of them would be playing Olympics from July to August, and then starting the new season in October. Yet nobody would be sitting out the start of the season. Didn't they just have a 4 month break prior to the playoffs due to Covid? Then they played what, 20 games for the playoffs? Soft!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well they ARE the World Champions...and they FINALLY tied BOS for most championships.

It is quite the accomplishment.

Being the WC's allows you the luxury to do just what the OP alluded to - whether we like it or not - especially with the current situation in the country and whatnot.

Even "IF" say LeBron and AD sit out the first few weeks LAL would NOT finish that much below 500 during that time - and would be able to ramp up within a few weeks once they returned.

I just don't see it as a bad thing.

And LeBron James is STILL hungry - and after FINALLY getting his 4th I have no doubt that he is setting his sights on Michael Jordan's 6 rings and could very well achieve this.

From a BOS's fan perspective? This is just TERRIBLE.

From a BOS fan that ALSO admires LeBron James the LEADER? Especially on Social Justice issues? I applaud him for it.

A part of me was actually CHEERING LeBron James for getting his 4th but also cheering AGAINST him for what it entailed for BOS.

Let whomever chooses sit out....there is nothing we can do about it except gripe...and hope perhaps that they come back too rusty or too drunk with success that they can't ramp up in time for the playoffs next season. One can only hope.

But make no mistake about it LeBron James is cementing his argument for the Greatest of All Time - right up there with Russell, Michael, Kareem and Co. Let him get his time off if he chooses.

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 11:31:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Well they ARE the World Champions...and they FINALLY tied BOS for most championships.

It is quite the accomplishment.

Being the WC's allows you the luxury to do just what the OP alluded to - whether we like it or not - especially with the current situation in the country and whatnot.

Even "IF" say LeBron and AD sit out the first few weeks LAL would NOT finish that much below 500 during that time - and would be able to ramp up within a few weeks once they returned.

I just don't see it as a bad thing.

And LeBron James is STILL hungry - and after FINALLY getting his 4th I have no doubt that he is setting his sights on Michael Jordan's 6 rings and could very well achieve this.

From a BOS's fan perspective? This is just TERRIBLE.

From a BOS fan that ALSO admires LeBron James the LEADER? Especially on Social Justice issues? I applaud him for it.

A part of me was actually CHEERING LeBron James for getting his 4th but also cheering AGAINST him for what it entailed for BOS.

Let whomever chooses sit out....there is nothing we can do about it except gripe...and hope perhaps that they come back too rusty or too drunk with success that they can't ramp up in time for the playoffs next season. One can only hope.

But make no mistake about it LeBron James is cementing his argument for the Greatest of All Time - right up there with Russell, Michael, Kareem and Co. Let him get his time off if he chooses.
The reality is the Lakers are the greatest franchise in the sport's history, have been for awhile, and that should have no bearing on your Celtics fandom at all.  The only reason to really care if the Lakers win one is because it means Boston isn't winning one.  I mean the Montreal Canadiens have won 24 NHL titles, yet they haven't won one since 1993.  To anyone under say like 40, the Canadiens basically don't matter at all, which sadly not a whole lot different with the C's because they've won just 1 title since 1986. 

I mean seriously, before the recent 6 year string, the Lakers missed the playoffs just 5 times in their entire history.  They've won 17 titles and finished 2nd 15 times.  While we like to think of 2nd place as 1st loser, it is still pretty hard to make the finals.  The 10 years between Finals appearances they just had, is the longest drought in the franchise's history.  Bill Russell was the greatest winner the sport has seen, but since he retired in 1969 Boston has just 6 titles and 3 runner-ups.  The Lakers have 12 titles and 7 runner-ups in that same span.  To anyone outside of Celtics fans, the Lakers have been the sports best franchise for a long time.  Boston can certainly take that mantle back if it puts together a nice decade behind Tatum where it wins multiple titles (and the Lakers don't).  But again, outside of the joy of winning the title, who cares.  It makes no difference at all, which franchise is the sports best because you don't hang banners for that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 11:18:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
As I suspected, this seemed to be posturing to get a better deal and that appears to be what actually happened.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip